No announcement yet.

Riding the River - Canada to Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don, that was almost 19 years ago when I met you in Buffalo to hand over the GS1100GK for your ride to Florida... did Muddy River eventually give up the ghost? (I see one just like it for sale here in Rochester.. 1982, brown, 19,000 miles)

Comment

Thanks canroc for pulling this story out of the archives. What a great story!
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I am trying to figure out if the GK of this story is the same GK as the “GSResource Project” (of which would be an entire other story).

Last edited by Redman; 03-22-2022, 09:38 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Wow; that was in interesting blast from the past that was before I re-joined. I'd been a member before but in the earlier times and only came back when I decided to resurrect old Whitey, the '80 bike, in 2012. I'd obviously utterly missed on transcontinental journeys.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Great story from the archives. This place really does have a long history.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Don could tell maybe a couple more
              stories of buying GSs from long distance, cross country, and riding them home.

He could also tell story of riding mocykl (or scooter) cross country, getting other bike to ride home, then go back to ride original bike home.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by canroc View Post
                Don, that was almost 19 years ago when I met you in Buffalo to hand over the GS1100GK for your ride to Florida... did Muddy River eventually give up the ghost? (I see one just like it for sale here in Rochester.. 1982, brown, 19,000 miles)
                Mike, your old GK has woven into GS Resources lore, under different names, until the present day. In 2004 I was leading a GS ride with it down in the Ocala National Forest area when an unmarked curve bit me and crashed much of the plastic work and piping on the bike. I put it back together with parts obtained from several different GSR members which imparted both a sense of community and a motley appearance. I gave it the name Mr Ratley and used it on one or maybe two of the West Virginia rides I organized. Then a few years ago I got all the parts painted yellow and hauled it up to Frank, our administrator. in north Georgia to serve as the GS project bike under the name Yellow Frank.. There it still be.

When I get a little time I will locate and post here pictures of Muddy River / Mr Ratley / Yellow Frank in its different incarnations for you to view.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

The Yellow Frank bike story is Documented on the GSR Homepage.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I love this forum for the random stories that I never would have seen had it not been for the engagement of members.

DPep, I know you have a penchant for adventures, but to take on an Ironbutt, on a new-to-you ride, more or less sight-unseen. THAT is a whole 'nother level, sir.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

Mike, your old GK has woven into GS Resources lore, under different names, until the present day. In 2004 I was leading a GS ride with it down in the Ocala National Forest area when an unmarked curve bit me and crashed much of the plastic work and piping on the bike. I put it back together with parts obtained from several different GSR members which imparted both a sense of community and a motley appearance. I gave it the name Mr Ratley and used it on one or maybe two of the West Virginia rides I organized. Then a few years ago I got all the parts painted yellow and hauled it up to Frank, our administrator. in north Georgia to serve as the GS project bike under the name Yellow Frank.. There it still be.

When I get a little time I will locate and post here pictures of Muddy River / Mr Ratley / Yellow Frank in its different incarnations for you to view.
                      Don, thanks for the update on the old GK! I rode a few more GS bikes after selling that to you, then ventured into Harley territory in 2004 for a few years with a Sportster and later a Superglide... gave up motorcycling in 2017, but looking again. I don't think the thrill of motorcycling ever leaves our blood and I always want to return to it. My first bike was a 1965 250 cc Yamaha Big Bear I had at the age of 15. I enjoyed working on, and riding these old Suzuki GS bikes, so maybe again I will find one in my garage..

Comment

Working...
                      X