No announcement yet.

Best argument yet for a full-face helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit a Bee,ended up in the emergency room.Stung me in the neck.My head was swollen.No birds (or Deer,thank goodness)

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      I call BS on accellerating out of control....I would think that the throttle would snap back cuz the nature of muscles is to relax thus loosing his grip on the throttle!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        I have birds flying right in front of me all the time here. Although the small ones might hurt I'm not as worried about them as I am when I see the damn hawks fly right in front of me here. Those things scare the bejeezus out of me.

Dueller, if the cops already verified the speeds (remember he was knocked out) then yea I could see it especially since your hand will twist backwards as you lay down.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by MassJosh View Post
          Here is a sheet I use in the MSF classes. This was a statistic sheet that was composed from crash data.

Thats pretty neat..in an informative sort of way...always have worn a full face helmet myself..bought my first one a Bell Star 2 back in the day..damn I feel old now...

DDM

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            I have birds flying right in front of me all the time here. Although the small ones might hurt I'm not as worried about them as I am when I see the damn hawks fly right in front of me here. Those things scare the bejeezus out of me.

Dueller, if the cops already verified the speeds (remember he was knocked out) then yea I could see it especially since your hand will twist backwards as you lay down.
            I'm not saying he wasn't going 140 when he hit the tree...thinking maybe he was going faster or that fast shortly before he got hit and crashed. That's all. Would think grip would loosen after impact. Have to research that one. I'm thinking he was FLYING (pun intended lol) and didn't want to admit he was going that fast when all that happened. I would think you'd have to be going pretty FAST for a bird to penetrate your face shield. That's what they are supposed to be there for no? We have turkey vultures here in Mi and I would HATE to hit one of them! Turkeys like that one story too and I live in the country so I see them all the time. They are scary!

Comment

About 7 or 8 years ago, I was on a two lane country blacktop cruising along about 65 mph. A turkey buzzard was coming towards me from a height of about 50 feet. I assumed he would pass over, but as he came closer, it looked more and more to be a collision course. Just before being certain I was going to be hit, I leaned forward and put my head down over the tank. The buzzard hit my helmet at the top of the face shield and what was left of him ricocheted upwards behind me. I watched him tumble in my mirrors before finally landing on the road. It was proabably about the same a taking a good hit in the head with a baseball bat.

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

After reading this I bet someone wants a new helmet.

1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  After reading this I bet someone wants a new helmet.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/2581268880.html
                  I just might buy it for Halloween only.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I wouldn't even think of riding without a full face helmet(we have a blanket helmet law here from 1972), I've been hit just above the visor by a lug nut from a lorry I was following and apart from making my ears ring it took a 3mm chunk out of the helmet, I have also been hit on the nose by small stones kicked up by cars in front(the visor was up and I was wearing sunglasses)-that was fun! also had a wasp bounce off the lens of sunglasses,sting me in the temple,fall down the front of the jacket and get me 3 more times before I got stopped to kill the little b*&^%$"d!

Comment

I have several reasons to endorse a full-face helmet.

Several years ago, we were on our way home from a trip, blew a tire, wrecked the bike, we went flying. Mrs. Steve landed on the chin of her NEW full-face helmet. If she had not had that on, she wouldn't have the smile that she does now.

Even behind the MONSTER-sized windshield on my Wing, I still get hit. My visor is usually up while on the Wing, I have had bugs and rocks hit above my sunglasses, just inside the visor.

On a ride in West Virginia a couple of years ago, I had a bird fly in from the side. It hit the windshield right about where I look (I did not see it until it hit), and got deflected straight UP. My brother-in-law was following me and told me what he saw. Oh, the bird went up about 30 feet and landed on the shoulder on the other side of the road.

I try to take note of "wildlife crossing" type signs, but two that I saw in Flori-duh really caught my eye. They can really make you think.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Kinda get the Vulture Crossing but THIS is totally crazy!!! Don't know that full face is gonna help. I will always wear full face anyway... Gotta protect the money.

Comment

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
                          Kinda get the Vulture Crossing but THIS is totally crazy!!! Don't know that full face is gonna help. I will always wear full face anyway... Gotta protect the money.
                          A angry panther wrapped around your face shield will usually get your attention. LOL Being chased by a snapping alligator thats shouting, can I have fries with this?", also tends to get your attention. LOL

Earl
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Truth is, even though I started this thread with a story about a would-be bird-in-the-eye, the stories of saved and lost chins and teeth register even more with me. I whacked the side of my head a couple of years ago - broke the face shield pivot and it's just sitting on there for the picture - and I'm still convinced I would have broken my jaw or worse if not for the bottom half of my helmet.

Thanks to my gear, I was treated and released within 3hrs. 4 broken ribs were not fun (and I no longer wear a bag over my shoulder as the outcome of that lesson) but it could have been much worse.

Comment

After reading through this post, it makes me think my choice of a 3/4 was a little hasty. When I had my first bike, I had a full helmet then, I do not know what I was thinking.

Time to start shopping.

Comment

Not sure even a full face is gonna help against that! I've only seen one Panther by the road in the Carolinas. When I lived in Texas it was not uncommon to have deer crossing in front me, I was always super paranoid about hitting one of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X