"Almost" sold the 650 yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Almost" sold the 650 yesterday

Friends have been asking what I'm doing with my old 650 since I got the new Yamaha. I don't really have room for 2 bikes so I said I might sell. One guy came to look at it yesterday and was really impressed.

It's been sitting for about 6 weeks or so, and I've only put on about 900 miles so far this season. I wasn't sure how well it would start when he showed up to see it, but I should have known... Fired right up with no hesitation. I let it warm up a bit in the driveway, showed him everything I've done since I had it, and the extra parts. He was very eager to take it for a test ride, and insisted he'd be fine on it. He's ridden in his youth, but doesn't currently own a bike. I straightened it up for him in the street and off he went round the block. Very wobbly, dragging his feet, and realllllly working the clutch. As I watched it go down the street I realized I can't part with it. I really like my new bike, but these older ones have a certain character that can't be duplicated with "newness".

Luckily he made it around the block without falling, had $1,000 on him but I said no sale. I just really like this old thing! Time to get rid of something else to make room in the garage. My girlfriend calls me a hoarder.

Makes sence to me.
    (the not wanting to sell it)

(I kept my 650G for 6 years after getting the 850G)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ah, I can see an inexperinced rider having some difficulty with that.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have an old '75 Yamaha YZ400MX that I ride once a year just to remember how much they have improved over the years.
        It is probably only worth a few hundred dollars so it is not worth selling anyway.
        I also have an 850 Suzuki that gets ridden very little with all of the hopped up litre/+ bikes that I have around here.
        They all have a certain amount of "character" and it is always nice to ride an "old friend."

Daniel

Comment

HI Hoarder!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Ah, I can see an inexperinced rider having some difficulty with that.

???

Not mine.

Mine is all stock, except for the bars.

Comment

Why sell anything if ya dont need or want the money?
              Thats the way I see it...

If nothing else, it's something to tinker around with.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Not a hoarder

just an old boyscout! You're being prepared for the event that you have to repair or want to modify the Yammy. Need a backup bike so you have something to get your two wheel fix right?

Comment

Originally posted by dueller View Post
                  just an old boyscout! You're being prepared for the event that you have to repair or want to modify the Yammy. Need a backup bike so you have something to get your two wheel fix right?

Got that right. I'm contemplating selling off my jeep. Extensively modified, extremely capable, my first motorized love. Has been an ongoing project for 13 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
                    ???

Not mine.

Mine is all stock, except for the bars.
                    opps.
                    (I had gone back to one of your first postings and found that. Quess I missunderstood.)

Comment

Working...
                    X