BC/WA/OR Hwy 97 ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC/WA/OR Hwy 97 ride

Just got back from my 9 day 2500 km ride around BC, WA, OR bike did great, ran into some very cold weather and a snow storm through one pass (!)

I used my hammock on this camping trip, worked out great, I'll post a full review on The Hammock Forum soon

Can't really see it, but it's snowing hard in the shot above

Toketee falls

Late start to summer, that's for sure. Wasn't expecting to hit hail, frozen rain and snow, and it sure rained a lot. That's why I took the fast route home on the I-5. Hot shower and warm bed never felt so good.

Developed a crack in one of the intake boots near home, idles kind of rough, gotta take care of that this week

Looks like an intense ride....great country up in that corner of the world. You stayed away from the coastal route I see.

btw, nice way to do a ride, 1400+ miles over 9 days.....few hundred miles a day and take time to enjoy the outdoors along the way?
    And duct tape is your friend on the road for a temp patch on the intake boot crack.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Looks like a nice trip; we are having weird weather (California). Two day looks like the 3 overcast rainy day in a row and it is early June. I dont ever remember weather like this; much more like fall.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        Looks like an intense ride....great country up in that corner of the world. You stayed away from the coastal route I see.

btw, nice way to do a ride, 1400+ miles over 9 days.....few hundred miles a day and take time to enjoy the outdoors along the way?
        And duct tape is your friend on the road for a temp patch on the intake boot crack.
        Yeah I did the same trip along the 101 around the Olympic peninsula and down the coast a few years ago - camping was expensive, and the weather was terrible. I thought this time I'd stay in the rain shadow of the Cascades, which mostly worked out, until that cold front moved in....

I stayed put in southern OR for 4 days, met some friends down there, everything I own has red Oregon mud on it now

Good ol duct tape =)

Comment

Any more pic's or were your fingers to numb to take pic's?

Lots of beautiful countryside along that route down.

Daniel

Comment

Very cool route, at least the 'inland portion'.
            Glad you had a good safe trip, given the...odd...spring weather in the PNW this year.

Comment

Really like the hammock idea, would cut down on a lot of gear having to be carried. Looking forward to your review of it. Too bad about the weather, but a rainy day on the bike beats a nice day in the office...cold sucks though.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm jealous, I grew up in Bellingham, WA and visit the area often. I recommend you try to plan your route to include the Chuckanut Highway, the views from that road are quite possibly the most beautiful in the world.

Comment

I bet you saw that snow up on the Coquihalla highway somewhere.....?!?

It has been a rather cool spring and cool early summer (can I call early June summer?) thus far in this area. I am just outside of Kelowna. Seems much of the west coast and interior of BC have experienced similar weather this year. It will eventually get much warmer but then we'll have to worry about forest fires.
                  Sounds like you had a great trip. Good for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X