A promise to myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A promise to myself

I will start by saying this, people have the power to change if they want it bad enough. As a teen and young adult i made all the bad mistakes, did all the stupid things, ran with all the wrong crowds. The only good thing in my life was my wife who i destroyed by my actions and lifestyle. I am now in my mid 40s and though maybe not any smarter i am alot more careful and mindful of right and wrong. My GS story begins in 2001 in the Texas prison system. All i will say is it was a crime i did commit, non violent, and stupid as heck. The end result was i got a second chance to save my life. I was on a trusty farm which allowed me to have a few extra things like a radio. Every night at 6pm the local station played 1 hour nonstop of 80s hair bands. As funny as it sounds that hour a day kept me sane and somewhat focused. i had no outside contact, no visits, no money on my acct, no friends. It was the blackest, hardest, lonely thing i have ever been through. As i would listen to the music i would escape in my mind by seeing myself on a big bike with a mp3 player and a full tank of gas just going and going. I promised myself one day i would make it real. I have had alot of project bikes since i have been home but non that fit the bill until now. 2 weeks ago i bought a sweetheart 1982 GS1100gl. It has sat for 3 or 4 years and needed all the usual stuff including a total repaint and cleaning. It is bone stock other than a sweet Vince and Hines exhust and aftermarket bars. I am about halfway through the paint ( blue metalflake ) next will be a carb sync and basic servicing, state inspection, and you guessed it, a short hop to bestbuy for a spanking new ipod. I plan on fulfilling my promise on the 4th of july weekend by hitting I30 to anywhere U.S.A. I know a ipod and a bike might be a bad idea but i gotta hear at least Bob Segar's Roll Me Away. If you know someone who has a sketchy past and problems conforming to this world keep my story in mind and take them on a ride if you can, you never know you might just be the person who saves them or inspires them to change. I had to do most of it myself at first but as time has passed i have made some real friends and now have a real shot at not being on anymore wanted posters. It sounds cool in a song but trust me it is not a joke when it's real. I thank whatever powers that run this cosmic circus for one last chance and a real sweet GS.

Welcome back to the world, freedom, and friends. Don't worry too much about listing to an mp3 player on the bike. A lot of people listen to music while they ride, and one or two around here are hearing impaired or just plain deaf (I can't remember). Hearing isn't a very good tool for maintaining situational awareness anyway. Keep your head on a swivel and keep your eyes moving. Stay hydrated and learn to shift around on that GL seat to reduce fatigue. I like the rear pegs, leaning into the wind on the Interstate. YMMV.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Sounds like fun. Listen to "Night Moves" a couple of times too. All of us GL riders stick together. I have an '83 1100GL.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Congratulations!! Everyone should take a cross country,solo, wherever the road may look interesting, bike trip. Whatever you find, it will be something you wouldn't want to have missed. Enjoy.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sam,

Thanks for sharing your story.
          Good to hear that things are improving.

Do post more of your story of the ride (on the bike and of your life).

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the GSR Sam. As for your past, it may sound Trite but "there but for the grace of God go I". Most of us did stupid stuff during out misspent youth but the lucky ones didn't get caught. You paid your debt, make the most of this second chance!
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Listen to music all the time

on my ride in to work and around town. Music is a centering tool for some. Uncle Tom's Cabin, or some Punisher soundtrack or some country.....all good for a relaxing ride....and of course hammering thru the gears every now and again! Congrats on your new found path. Hope it finds you well! I have a cousin who has been in and out of trouble for the better part of his adult life. He has basically alienated his entire family.

Comment

Good to see you out. That sounds like a good ride to go on. I've got an L myself, look below. Beautiful machines. They run like the wind.

Comment

Second chances are a gift from God. Make good use of it. Sounds like you are. Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it. Treat her right and she'll always be good to you. Welcome to the forum.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    Second chances are a gift from God. Make good use of it. Sounds like you are. Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it. Treat her right and she'll always be good to you. Welcome to the forum.
                    I thinks this hits it squarely on the head...sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Welcome, Sam, and thank you for sharing at least a part of Your Story - a very courageous and honest act.

If you ever make up to my far little corner of the US...I'd be happy to ride with you.

Comment

Cool story Sam. Glad to hear that good things are happening in your life.

You had to teach yourself the hard way on how to appreciate the small joys in life, but how sweet they are when you can remember when you didn't have anything.

Good luck with fulfilling your dream. A good running bike, the road ahead and some tunes sounds like a fun time.

Comment

Working...
                      X