Happy 30th birthday to my GS850G !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 30th birthday to my GS850G !

Well, amazing how time flies! Happy 30th birthday to my GS850G ! I bought "Blue Magic" new on 11/06/1981. 30 years later, and she is still going really strong (although she only has about 33,000 km on the clock!).

I decided to treat her to some special preventative maintenance - new intake/airbox rubbers and O-rings; fuel tank petcock; and front disc pads. While adjusting the valves, I will also replace the tappet cover gasket and spark plugs. Also ordered (but not received yet) are braided brake hoses.

The first batch of parts now cost within US$50 of the original new purchase price of the complete motorcycle!

So after winter maintenance which will also include setting carb float levels with a fuel level gauge and synching with the OEM Suzuki gauge set (borrowed from my brother), she will be ready to go for the next 30 years!

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Sweet machine! Congrats!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Very nice!!

How long have you had the Hondaline fairing on there, and did you need to modify much to get it to fit?

Comment

Beautiful .
        Well done .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Happy birthday to her! I think that's fantastic you've owned the bike since new.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yeah congrats to keep her up in such a beautyful shape....it is something special to own a vehicle since new...sometimes i wonder who owned my bike first...i know it come from Iowa since it has an inspection sticker under the seat and i also know the previous owner bought it in Florida.
            Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
            Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
            '84 Honda VFR 500
            '86 GSXR 750
            http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Hi,

Great looking bike. I love the paint jobs on the non-US bikes. You should be proud of your bike. Happy Birthday!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                Very nice!!

How long have you had the Hondaline fairing on there, and did you need to modify much to get it to fit?
                I fitted the fairing a few months after I bought the bike. The main mounting bracket fits against the steering stem and is held on by two "J" bolts. I had to remove the original headlamp mounting brackets and make up new brackets, as well as short brackets from the top of the valve cover to bolt to the rear of the fairing. The front indicators also required new mounting brackets to be made up.

Comment

Happy birthday!

Curiosity begs to know: What did you trade-in in 1981 that was worth 1300?

Comment

That is awesome.

Is the paint original? Has it ever been laid down?

Comment

Amazing! terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by kelticsol View Post
                        Happy birthday!

Curiosity begs to know: What did you trade-in in 1981 that was worth 1300?
                        I traded a 1979 Honda 550 Supersport in on the 850. Bit of a sad story - a guy who lived in the same street had a light coming together with a cage, but flew off the bike and hit a steel electric light pylon, which broke his neck.

I bought the 550 from his parents who obviously just wanted to get rid of it. Just front forks bent and some cosmetic damage. That was my introduction to synching 4 carbs!

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                          That is awesome.

Is the paint original? Has it ever been laid down?
                          Yes, the paint is original and no, she has never been laid down. She has always been kept inside a garage, and we don't have snow and salt on icy roads here to cause rust. Also about 100 km away from the sea.

Comment

Thanks to all for the kind words and wishes - I have always been mechanically minded (although I am trained in chemistry and geology), but have only learned the finer GS "tips and tricks" during the last two and a half years from you great guys here on GSR. It was also an honour for me to get BOM in April 2009 with "Blue Magic".

Thanks again to GSR!

Comment

Very very nice. You live in the best part of SA for biking, and just about everything as well. I have just done a round trip on my 850 from Jhb via Port Nolloth and down. ( yes I did it through that big cold front where it snowed in Namibia, was good). (did approx 4600km ,will post some pics when I get the rest of them from my fellow travellers and small write up as well.)

Mine is also the same livery but not near as pristene. ( mine has 76,000km on it and also an '81 ,but 3rd owner and I paid a lot more than what you did!), but that was a lot of money then I suppose!

Now I have the "benchmark", to work towards.

I am a bit nervous about ordering spares from the US owing to our wonderful SARS wanting too much for the import taxes, and possible pitfalls with the postal system? Is it reasonable and genuinely worth the trouble? I find the dealerships are not really interested in the older bikes while we enjoy such a huge following of the classic bikes up here on the reef.

I pretty much need the airbox rubbers and the works, same as what you are replacing.

nice, perhaps we will see each other on the road one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X