Bike in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike in a Box

My first motorcycle was a res Suzuki 1974 TS250. I was 25. With it I learned how to ride on a motorized 2 wheeler, yet with some bumps and bruises to both bike and I. In 1978 came my first road bike. The exciting GS750EC, which eventually turned out to be a terror on the road with a Kirker header, single air breathers, raised floats, planed head and ported on both intake and exhaust. I loved that bike. It was fast and it fit me. It saw a few interesting changes in it's lifetime. At one point it sported dual Thrush car mufflers, they were too loud on my 1977 Dodge Street Van which had a 318 CI V8 so I modified the 750's stock exhaust (hacksaw) and mounted one on either side. It sounded like rolling thunder and changed the power bands from a quick thrust to a strong pull. Five years into the ownership I painted it gloss jet black, only leaving the Suzuki emblems on either side of the tank. It soon picked up the nick name "black bastard" by those I rode with. In 2003 it was 2-tone aubergene (deep purple) and black, it's 3rd paint job, and overall it looked pretty much like new. I owned her for 25 years and racked up over 58,000 miles. She was still a fine running machine. When I moved to the country she had to stay behind for lack of a place to park inside. A gentleman with a keen eye took notice and asked if it was for sale. I reluctantly let it go for $1,000. No regrets. An experience I'll always remember.
    Now for the interesting part of my story. I often read mags on Suzuki street bikes. When I learned the end was coming for the high compression superbike motors, I decided to buy one. I spoke to the manager of the local dealer (Land Air Enterprise in Colchester, Vt) and asked if I could buy the new 1983 GS1100E unopened in the crate. The manager of the shop was concerned about voiding the warranty and other business and safety related issues. He hummed and hawed, I grined and we placed the order. I got a call 3 weeks later, my bike had arrived. I drove the Dodge street van to Land Air and asked to see it. There it was, on the show room floor, fully assembled. It sure looked nice next to all those other 83 Suzuki's. Even though, we placed another order. In another 3 weeks I got second call. This time they got it right. An unopened crate housing a GS1100E-D. We loaded it in the van. It's since been to four storage locations, some temprature controlled, some not. I winterized it per the instructions of Suzuki America (then in California) and it currently sits in my garage here in Georgia, Vermont, still in the original crate. I can't say I have plans to uncrate it but I'd sure like to ride it some day. I'll post some pix in the gallery for all to see. Thanks for listening,
    Kerry Burke

If you wanna sell it..you PM me and lets talk.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Man,how could you resist for all those years?

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

It's a museum piece now. Buy a nice USED one and keep that one crated. It is the only one I have heard of still being in a crate.

Comment

I would think that pretty much everyone on this forum would love to be in your predicament.
          "If", you have been maintaining your riding skills over these years and are still in good shape to fit on it,
          I would be riding it as it is your treasure to enjoy!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

I would think that pretty much everyone on this forum would love to be in your predicament.
            "If", you have been maintaining your riding skills over these years and are still in good shape to fit on it,
            I would be riding it as it is your treasure to enjoy!

Daniel
            Agreed

Comment

...and it is a predicament. I rode my 78 gs750ec for 25 years & 58,000 miles. Sold her in 06. I'm a retired runner, hiker and still 'think' I have the skills. I'd be scared silly to open the throttle for the first time. Thank you for the graceful reply.
              k.

Comment

gps, then sell it to one of us old farts that "think" we are still young and buy yourself a nice Beemer or ST1300.
                I, for one, would promise to ride it and never sell it BTW.

Daniel
                Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I already asked if he would sell..his, PM indicated that hen wasnt at this time..I hope he will contact me if he does. The cashiers check will be in the mail the next day..or that day if early enough.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I for one can't wait to see pic's of the un-opened crate . Wow, how do you winterize a bike in an unopened crate? I can only imagine what that bike would bring at an auction. I'd probably just get another '83 GS1100ED
                    to ride knowing you have a unmolested absolutely virgin mint one still crated in your garage until YOU decide when and what to do with it. I think it qualifies as a museum piece. Bike of the year for '83. I think it will be worth more still crated in the box than otherwise.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      I for one can't wait to see pic's of the un-opened crate . Wow, how do you winterize a bike in an unopened crate?
                      Did you miss this picture?

Daniel

Comment

Wow,that is beautyful.I agree,get another one,and keep this one in the crate,someday you'll get a ton of money for it.Once i saw a '79 CBX in the crate on E-bay,that one was sold around $30K.
                        Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                        Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                        '84 Honda VFR 500
                        '86 GSXR 750
                        http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Did you miss this picture?

Daniel
                          Is that unopened?
                          Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                          Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                          '84 Honda VFR 500
                          '86 GSXR 750
                          http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Originally posted by caligs View Post
                            Is that unopened?
                            Close enough for me.

That is exactly the same condition that what my NIB XR650R looked like when I received it.

Daniel

Comment

Wow! Wow! ****ing WOW!!! A brand new, 0 mile, GS1100ED... And it's yours . So that's what my GS1100ED looked like when it was new... Mine's looks like complete crap!

That is so cool. Oh, the things I'd do to own that bike....

So I was kinda curious as to how much it cost back in the days?

Comment

Working...
                              X