No announcement yet.

Bug Story - Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elliemae, I know that this has to be a "worthwhile" link but I get a "Page cannot be found" message. :?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
      Hoomgar, you have made my little skirmish seem like a picnic in comparison......over 50 nests is no laughing matter. 8O I am glad you apparently got them all. You clearly have earned the title "Supreme GSR Bug Slayer".

Simon
      May be true but I feel I cheated since I hired a professional hit man to do my dirty work

Comment

My exterminator did repeat about 3 or 4 times while talking to me after the job was done that this was possitivly the worst case of yellow jackets he had ever seen. He was in his 50's somewhere and I have no idea how long he was an exterminator but he seems like a veteran so I am imagining that I may have a set a record some where.

They did call us back a few days later with concerns that they may not have got them all. i confirmed that they did. There was a few casualties of war that would straggle into the house foe the following day or so that were dying but whatever they used proved lethal.

And I am gratefull

Comment

Holy jumpins! 50 nests! That's terrifying! Consider yourselves very lucky you weren't stung worse. It sounds like this was money well spent. I don't think most of us would be willing to tackle that many nests without "dressing like martians."

Comment

Originally posted by Elliemae
            Works fine.......now I shall do my best to banish that nightmarish vision from my mind. 8O

BTW, is "groovier squirrel" on of your alter egos?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
              Originally posted by Elliemae
              Works fine.......now I shall do my best to banish that nightmarish vision from my mind. 8O

BTW, is "groovier squirrel" on of your alter egos?
              MSN just assigned me a name and I thought it was cute.

Comment

Only 50 nest? my neighbor had killer bees set up the insect equivalent to New York city under his house at his back door!
                he had noticed bees coming and going but they kept to them self and all attempt to kill them failed.
                one day while per suing the same task as Simon, mowing his yard, the killer bees decided they had enough and swarmed for the mass attack.
                my friend bailed off the lawn tractor as the initial attack wave hit him and beet a hasty retreat to the house.
                the swarm covered the side of the house trying to get in to finish the war!

his wife tended to his wounds, and they counted 36 stings!!

after a couple hours he sneaked out the front door and established a distance of 200 feet from the house and started to circle around to survey the damage done by the unmanned runaway riding mower that had continued on its merry way with out him on it.

once he got to where he could see the back of the house, and see that the mower had collided with the gallon propane tank, stopping the mower, but knocking the tank over pinching off the gas line, he saw the bee's still covering the back of the house still trying to get in.
                unfortunately the bee's also saw him and again resumed in mass their attack on him.
                he managed to out run the assailants to the front door, quite a feat considering he is 6 foot 300 lbs!

he decided that it was now time to call out the pros, and he contacted a bee keeper to come and get them, the bee keeper arrived and quickly summoned all the help he could get.
                it took them the better part of a day to kill them all and they managed to fill THREE five gallon buckets to the top with dead bee's and they didn't get all of them!!!
                it took two more attempt to Finaly eradicate them all.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  Only 50 nest? my neighbor had killer bees set up the insect equivalent to New York city under his house at his back door!
                  Brings back bad memories. But this is by far worse than we experienced. It is weird how the little buggers will set up camp and multiply like that isn't it? Very scary indead. 8O

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  he managed to out run the assailants to the front door, quite a feat considering he is 6 foot 300 lbs!
                  Fear is a great motivator. I outran a mad mother bumble to to the front door almost the same was when I was an 8 year old boy. I was screaming "OPEN THE DOOR!!!" "OPEN THE DOOR!!!" "OPEN THE DOOR!!!" as I circled around the front yard. My mom heard me in time and opened the door slamming it behind me. I made it

75 pound or 300 pound, those suckers provide you with plenty of adrenaline to get moving

Comment

I can't match Leon's story but I did have an encounter with a swarm of honey bees in the late 70's when I lived in Houston. One Easter weekend I was trundling a wheelbarrow-load of soil to a flower bed that I was building near my fenceline. Unbeknownst to me, my neigbbor was a bee keeper and had decided to disassemble his hive at this time. In looking up to see me a few feet away in my yard, he dropped one of the hive frames. Naturally, this got the bees a might disturbed. Simultaneously, I dumped the dirt out of my wheelbarrow against the dividing fence. Voila!! The next thing I saw was a dark cloud of bees pouring over the top of the fence heading directly at me. I took off like a scalded cat, raced the length of my yard with the bees in hot pursuit, ran through my garage and into the kitchen, through the dining room, living room and into the bathroom, whence I jumped under the shower fully clothed. I had bees in my hair and clothes but fortunately did not get stung.

My neighbor came over to apologize after a while. We checked on the bees about 45 minutes later.....they were still mad and came after me again. My neighbor explained that they had an excellent sense of smell and clearly remembered me. Needless to say, my gardening was finished for the weekend.

Simon

Comment

killer bee's are a definate threat around here, there have been several situations where the fire department has had to be called out to deal with killer bee's on the rampage, class A foam kills them fast.
                      a water dish soap mix works real well for killing bees drops them right out of the air.

Comment

This brings back memories. When I was a kid we had a family reunion in Holden, Mass at my grandfathers cabin. It didn't have electricity and you had to hand pump the water. It also had an outhouse. There were about 20 kids there.
                        A bunch of us kids went up the side of the hill that the cabin was on, just exploring the woods. My identical twin David was carrying a toy rifle that one of the younger kids had brought, but found too heavy to carry.
                        We were about 50 yards up behind the cabin when my older brother yelled "BEES!!!". He had stepped into a yellow jacket nest. I didn't understand at first, but then I noticed them, one then another then a lot more. I turned and ran down the hill, as fast as I could. I had yellow jackets on my hand and in my hair and was trying to knock them off as I ran. I was so scared I jumped over a fallen tree that was had been head high to me on the way up the hill. I got to the cabin, ran inside to a bedroom, closed the door, and waited with a shoe to pound any wasps that tried to crawl thru under the door. I was the only kid who didn't get stung.
                        My twin, however, had dropped the toy rifle he was carrying, then went back to get it. He came out of the woods about 3 minutes later, walking like he was drunk. My parents said that when he stopped the yellow jackets just poured out of the openings in his clothes. I didn't see it, I was still waiting with my shoe in the bedroom. I came out then. My father put David and a bunch of us in our Econoline and drove like a madman to the hospital(My father used to race cars before he got married).
                        The Doctors at the hospital said that David had almost no blood pressure, and would have been dead if brought in 2 minutes later. They counted 100 bee stings just on one arm, and they said he didn't have a square inch on his body that wasn't stung. He wound up staying in the hospital for over two weeks, but he did get to watch the premiere of "Lost in Space" on the hospital TV. He had to take shots for years after that, and keep a hypodermic handy in case he got stung again. They said another sting could kill him.
                        I hate yellow jackets.

Comment

My worst experiance with a flying, stinging insect came on my old 80 GS1100. I was the living in California and took my wife, then girlfriend on her first real ride on a motorcycle. I was riding back from Big Sur when I got hit in the face with what at first i thought was a rock. Wearing an open faced helmet I expected the pain, but not the burning sensation I was feeling. And the swelling. I had to pull over at the very next exit. My wife was panic stricken as she had no idea what was going on or why we were leaving the highway. Well as soon as I got of the bike I was in severe pain and unable to see. However I am sure that my wife saw enough for both of us. She was in histerics. Here I was with a bee, still alive and trying to fly away, stuck smack dab in the middle of my forehead. Luckily not being allergic the swelling went down after application of some alcohol to the area and removal of the bee. After about an hour we were able to ride away, that's how long it took us to stop laughing.

Comment

Working...
                          X