The GS Gods Have Spoken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GS Gods Have Spoken

I have recently been thinking of selling my two bikes--a 2000 Suzuki 800 Marauder and the 1981 GS1000L. My desire stems from wanting a dual sport adventure bike and am currently considering either the Triumph Scrambler (which leans more to the road side of adventure) or the KTM 950 Adventure (which leans a little more to the dirt side of adventure but balances road and dirt very well). To afford either, I'd have to sell my two bikes.

I moved to AL las summer and left the Marauder in WI to sell there, but no luck. I was "forced" to ride the bike to AL over Memorial Day, and stop at the museum in Anamosa, IA along the way. Darn.

This last week a friend offered to buy the GS1000, but I needed to do some work on it--mainly replace the valve cover gasket and get the charging system in order. (See my recent post in Electricals about fixing the charging problem.) I also replaced the exhaust gaskets and did some other random tidying up on the bike.

Since most of the gaskets, etc. arrived Friday, I spent the evening working on the bike for my friend because he was heading to NY for a new job early Saturday morning at O-Dark Thirty. I was expecting him at 4:30, but he arrived at 3:30 and he chatted with me as I finished wrapping things up.

While I worked on the bike all that night, I was torn between it and my future adventure bike. These GS bikes sure are easy to work on overall. The reason I have this GS1000L is because I used to have a GS850L that was sporty and easy to work on. I sold the 850 to get a Honda CB900 Custom, and after I tried to remove the carbs on it for the first time, I sold it and got the GS1000.

Also, these 1000L bikes sure look sweet. I love the curve of the tank into the seat as well as the style of the wheels and the overall stance of the bike.

After I started the bike and rode it around the block, it became apparent that it was not going to sell this time around. An oil leak popped up where there had not been one before, and my friend was not interested in taking the 1000 to NY in that condition. (The oil leak turned out to be from the valve cover where part of the gasket did not get sealed between the two surfaces.)

So my friend bought the Marauder instead.

The GS1000L still sits in the garage, and now my mind is making a list of all the little projects I can do to make the bike really shine. A really good bath will be first. But after that there are various rubber pieces that need upgraded, and chrome to polish. I also plan on painting the tank and side covers a la the rattle can instructions on the site. Over time I can also overhaul brakes, replace bearings and seals, as well as some rusted fasteners, etc.

With not too much expense and a little elbow grease, I'll have a bunch of little projects that will keep me busy and add up to a nicely completed bigger project.

Concerning an adventure bike, I wonder how well a GS450 could be converted into something one could ride "the long way round" . . .

Enjoy.

Well... glad to see you're keeping your GS

I'm currently attempting to get my 450 into some semblance of a scrambler, although it will be 100% road biased somewhat along the lines of the Triumph Scrambler or Honda CL350/450.

If I was going to hit some gravel, in theory all I need to do is put some more trail based dual sport tyres on and it should be good to go.

Salty_Monk just took his larger capacity GS (can't remember displacement right now) down to Baja with Shinko 705's on it and it went well, and there's another guy here Mike-S who's making somewhat of a Motard out of his GSX250.

There is also another guy on here looking at doing a 450 scrambler, but his username escapes me at present...

Anyways, food for thought, it can be done
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I bet a 450 could handle dirt perfectly with the right mods. I've played with the idea in my mind but not having the time or the money its a future project.

Salty-Monk did the baja trip on a GS1000. The other guys riding with him were all on newer BMW GS 'adventure' bikes. If that shows anything its that any bike can be an adventure-worthy mount. Off road or on. While I wouldn't suggest moto-crossing on Salty's 1000 I'm sure it made a fine adventure tourer.

I say go for it. Check the projects section there are a few people doing scrambler or off road builds now actually.

Comment

I love the KTM 990, but its super tall for me. I like the Super Enduro even more, but can't get on it. I literally climbed up the side stand to get on a BMW 1200GS.

I recently sat on the new Triumph 800 Tiger. It is awsome, but cost a fortune with farkles. A nice BMW R800GS is $7,000 or more now, but may be worth it.

Some of the most popular so called adventure bikes are pretty darned heavy these days. Your 450, by virtue of its weight alone has got to be somewhat suitable for all terrain use, if not too loaded up with gear and belongings.

I have ridden British twins and singles accross open desert with all lights etc. intact without greif.

Lack of rough dirt road capability is the main drawback of a big GS for me. I have tried some mining roads around Boundary and Chicken, AK, and its a pain. Plus, the clutch overheats pretty quickly trying to go slowly enough.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Sorry for some delay is my response, and thanks for all the thoughts. My boy and I had some Honda CL350's we were going to fix up, but had to sell when we moved from WI. I know that in 1968 or 69, someone took a brand new CL350 and with few mods won the Baja 1000. The other bike I've considered is the Yam XS650.

I think Peter Eagan says a person should have 4-5 bikes. (Well, the wealthier people at least.) I think these are his recommendations:

1. Road bike
          2. Sport bike
          3. Dirt bike
          4. Classic
          5. Adventure (perhaps)

It's interesting to note how many bikes there are that try to blend a couple of those categories. The V-Strom might even be straddling 1, 2, & 5.

So here's my possible menu that keeps it affordable, and overlaps categories:

Road Bike: GS1000L
          Dirt Bike: DR350 or KDX200
          Adventure: Homemade XS650 or GS450
          Classic: ALL OF THE ABOVE

Woo Hoo!

Comment

Working...
          X