So I stopped this GS850....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I stopped this GS850....

(Sucks to be a junior member again, I had over a 1500 posts at one time)
    Anyway, so I'm on patrol and see a red GS850 go past with no lic plate, so I pull him over and ask wheres the lic plate........

With a sigh!!!! the yound guy explains that he flew to Wisconson (from Louisiana) for this bike and rode it back, he then went to the DMV who advised that he needs to have the last owner to fax his driving lic to DMV and then they will put the GS in the young mans name.
    The owner in Wisconson flat out tells him that he will NOT fax his driving lic to Louisiana, and there's were the situation stands........

I looked over the bike with leaking head/base gaskets and other things, I told the young rider I used to fix these GS bikes in my sleep, he laughed and we chatted a while.....

No ticket issued and on his merry way......

Last week the young guy gets in touch with me through the Police Dept and tells me he's leaving for Canada and I can have the GS because he cant get the title in his name........

So, I picked it up today and will be getting the title in my name somehow....

Phil.

Sometimes, being nice really pays off.

Daniel

Comment

Does that come under bribery?

Comment

Sounds like you made a good impression on the Lad.
        Congrats on the score! looking forward to you thread. Please post on the legal proceedures you go through on how to properly get it titled. Honestly, I don't blame the PO for not sending a fax of his drivers licence, I'm sure it sounded shady to him. Here in Indiana, an official Bill Of Sale is what is required, even then it's tough.

Comment

You must be the same guy that pulled me over in Oregon in the backroads and got an "ummm......" when asked "didn't you see me back there?"...come to think of it you must have been the same guy that pulled the group of us over at last years North West Rally and let us go. Sometimes it's helpful riding an older classic. Glad to hear a good deed doesn't go untouched.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
            Sounds like you made a good impression on the Lad.
            Congrats on the score! looking forward to you thread. Please post on the legal proceedures you go through on how to properly get it titled. Honestly, I don't blame the PO for not sending a fax of his drivers licence, I'm sure it sounded shady to him. Here in Indiana, an official Bill Of Sale is what is required, even then it's tough.
            I had the same issue when I bought my YPVS 350 (RZ350) from a bloke in Florida, he refused to fax his D.L, but eventually he did, and I finally got a plate on it,,,,, k guys, duty is over, (6am) going to bed........

I'll post some pics soon of the latest toys.....

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              You must be the same guy that pulled me over in Oregon in the backroads and got an "ummm......" when asked "didn't you see me back there?"...come to think of it you must have been the same guy that pulled the group of us over at last years North West Rally and let us go. Sometimes it's helpful riding an older classic. Glad to hear a good deed doesn't go untouched.

I wish you were the guy(s) that pulled me over last Friday... Two tickets in the same day.

Comment

So I was pulled over by this cop...

I bought a bike a few years ago in Wisconsin. 1980 GS850. Older than me, by a couple. Good looking, needed maintenance, but I felt like I could keep up with it.

Rode her down home to south Louisiana - my first long haul on a motorcycle. The muscles in my right hand were so stiff, it wouldn't straighten under it's own strength for a few days: it was constantly shaped like a handlebar grip.

Lesson: If driving for more than a day, I'm bringing a cruise control.

Turned out, I went into the situation uninformed. Louisiana needs copies of previous owner's DL for out of state transfers. Previous owner said "no thanks," and I can't blame him.

Lesson: Learn out-of state registering rules before I get involved.

I had already sold my car, this was my commuter now. Gotta get to work, right? This is Louisiana. With a good rainsuit and a warm sweater, you can ride 49 weeks out of the year.

Six months later, I get pulled over. I'm nervous, of course, I made it across country once, plus daily commutes for half a year. By this point, I figured cops just didn't look at plates on bikes, and I was in the clear.

Cop gets out his car. As I'm trying to get my helmet off (and act cool), he's walking a lap around my bike. He says, "You know, I used to take these things apart and put 'em back together in my sleep." I laughed. He asked what the deal was, and I told the truth. He pointed out some maintenance I needed, got back in his car, and drove off.

Lesson: When you don't have license plates, don't drive through downtown to get to work.

Another six months go by, time for new tires. I didn't have the time to take wheels off myself, so I bring it to the shop to get it taken care of. I see a guy that's kinda familiar behind the counter. He obviously wasn't on the staff, he was just shooting the breeze with them. Couldn't place the face, so I didn't say anything.

Outside, back on my bike. The guy comes out the shop, looks at me, walks over. "You know, I used to take these things apart and put 'em back together in my sleep."

"Oh, I know you, you... uh... pulled me over once." Guy looked behind me at the back of the bike.

"'Cause you got no plates." We laughed, he asked what the progress was on the plates ("None"), if I had been taking care of it ("...").

Another year goes by. Never pulled over after that one time. February of this year, I got married. My gal is a Quebecer, and longer story short, she has the better job and wanted to be closer to family, so off to Montreal we're going.

Lesson: marriage is hardly ever a good idea I love my wife.

But, what about the bike. Two years she had served me, taking nothing more than (almost neglectful) maintenance, four tires, a master cylinder, and a battery. I couldn't risk trying to get across the border with no plates, and Canada has pretty strict rules and paperwork about importing motorcycles built for American standards.

I couldn't sell it to someone that values her, because the title and registration was a mess. It would be an offense to give up and part her out on eBay. Putting her in storage would just cost a lot of money over time, and let her deteriorate more. Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that I got in over my head with taking on a classic like this.

Lesson: having a classic ride requires having other transportation to use while you work on it.

I had to give it to a good home. Thought of that cop.

At work, another cop buddy came in to say hi. I told him I needed to get this bike into good hands, asked if he knew many of the cops on the force. "Wish I didn't, lot of the guys I work with aren't too pleasant. Happy with themselves, if you know what I mean." Described to him the stranger's look, his accent, and said he's into early '80s Suzukis.

"Oh. One of the good guys. Hang on." He got his cell, dialed, and said, "Hey, Phil, my pal here needs to talk at ya."

That's it. Phil picked it up yesterday, and I fly out Sunday. She's gone to a good home, and I'm going to my new one. Miss the GS already. It'll be taken care of, I'm sure. Keeping my eyes open for another somewhere in Montreal.

Thanks Phil

jon
                Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

This story is awesome. I'm glad the bike went to a good home. It's cool you kept crossing paths randomly with the new owner of the bike. Sounds like a movie almost.

I'm sure you can find another GS in Canada (they all had funny paint schemes). Although I think you're gonna need a lot more than a sweater to ride up there.

Comment

Great story Jon. It couldn't have gone to a better guy.

Cheers
                    Earl
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hi,

What a beautiful place this is!

Great story. Thanks for sharing guys.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I think we can call that one fate? Great story.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by mechiah View Post
                          I bought a bike a few years ago in Wisconsin. 1980 GS850. Older than me, by a couple. Good looking, needed maintenance, but I felt like I could keep up with it.

Rode her down home to south Louisiana - my first long haul on a motorcycle. The muscles in my right hand were so stiff, it wouldn't straighten under it's own strength for a few days: it was constantly shaped like a handlebar grip.

Lesson: If driving for more than a day, I'm bringing a cruise control.

Turned out, I went into the situation uninformed. Louisiana needs copies of previous owner's DL for out of state transfers. Previous owner said "no thanks," and I can't blame him.

Lesson: Learn out-of state registering rules before I get involved.

I had already sold my car, this was my commuter now. Gotta get to work, right? This is Louisiana. With a good rainsuit and a warm sweater, you can ride 49 weeks out of the year.

Six months later, I get pulled over. I'm nervous, of course, I made it across country once, plus daily commutes for half a year. By this point, I figured cops just didn't look at plates on bikes, and I was in the clear.

Cop gets out his car. As I'm trying to get my helmet off (and act cool), he's walking a lap around my bike. He says, "You know, I used to take these things apart and put 'em back together in my sleep." I laughed. He asked what the deal was, and I told the truth. He pointed out some maintenance I needed, got back in his car, and drove off.

Lesson: When you don't have license plates, don't drive through downtown to get to work.

Another six months go by, time for new tires. I didn't have the time to take wheels off myself, so I bring it to the shop to get it taken care of. I see a guy that's kinda familiar behind the counter. He obviously wasn't on the staff, he was just shooting the breeze with them. Couldn't place the face, so I didn't say anything.

Outside, back on my bike. The guy comes out the shop, looks at me, walks over. "You know, I used to take these things apart and put 'em back together in my sleep."

"Oh, I know you, you... uh... pulled me over once." Guy looked behind me at the back of the bike.

"'Cause you got no plates." We laughed, he asked what the progress was on the plates ("None"), if I had been taking care of it ("...").

Another year goes by. Never pulled over after that one time. February of this year, I got married. My gal is a Quebecer, and longer story short, she has the better job and wanted to be closer to family, so off to Montreal we're going.

Lesson: marriage is hardly ever a good idea I love my wife.

But, what about the bike. Two years she had served me, taking nothing more than (almost neglectful) maintenance, four tires, a master cylinder, and a battery. I couldn't risk trying to get across the border with no plates, and Canada has pretty strict rules and paperwork about importing motorcycles built for American standards.

I couldn't sell it to someone that values her, because the title and registration was a mess. It would be an offense to give up and part her out on eBay. Putting her in storage would just cost a lot of money over time, and let her deteriorate more. Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that I got in over my head with taking on a classic like this.

Lesson: having a classic ride requires having other transportation to use while you work on it.

I had to give it to a good home. Thought of that cop.

At work, another cop buddy came in to say hi. I told him I needed to get this bike into good hands, asked if he knew many of the cops on the force. "Wish I didn't, lot of the guys I work with aren't too pleasant. Happy with themselves, if you know what I mean." Described to him the stranger's look, his accent, and said he's into early '80s Suzukis.

"Oh. One of the good guys. Hang on." He got his cell, dialed, and said, "Hey, Phil, my pal here needs to talk at ya."

That's it. Phil picked it up yesterday, and I fly out Sunday. She's gone to a good home, and I'm going to my new one. Miss the GS already. It'll be taken care of, I'm sure. Keeping my eyes open for another somewhere in Montreal.

Thanks Phil

jon
                          But if you couldn't register it how is Phil going to?
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                            But if you couldn't register it how is Phil going to?
                            He's a LEO.

-knocks on PO's door- "Good evening Mr. ______. I'm here to either serve a warrant for your arrest, or get a copy of your DL so I can register my newly acquired GS850. I'll let you pick which one"

Comment

Originally posted by cal_look_zero View Post
                              He's a LEO.

-knocks on PO's door- "Good evening Mr. ______. I'm here to either serve a warrant for your arrest, or get a copy of your DL so I can register my newly acquired GS850. I'll let you pick which one"

hahahahahahahahaahhahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X