Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crystal Lake - GMR Ride

Hi,

Mr. caligs came over to my house early Friday afternoon. I was just finishing up an oil change on my bike and installed new rear brake pads. Then Gabor pulled his bike in the garage and we worked on his charging system a little bit. It's still not perfect, but it's better. Then we took off for an afternoon of fun and frivolity.

We headed up Azuza Canyon, more accurately called San Gabriel Canyon Road. It has been recently opened all the way to Crystal Lake. That section of road has been closed for what seems like 15 years.

We rode and we climbed.

We climbed and rode some more.

Until we could ride no more.

But that's OK. Right there was the Crystal Lake Snack Bar Trading Post. We stopped in for some refreshments.

Inside the snack bar was the proprietor, Adam. He's had quite a fight to hang onto his business. He even led the charge in Sacramento to get the road re-opened.

Adam is a very nice, hospitable guy and I encourage all of you So. Cal. riders to take a trip up there and order something to eat. He also has cabins to rent. Adam almost lost everything, including his life, during the Grand Prix fire a few years ago. His story is pretty amazing. He was on the mountain when it burned and he survived by getting into his pond as the fire raged around him. He still had to spend some time in the hospital from smoke inhalation.

There's a campground across the street from the Trading Post.

We saddled up to head down the mountain.

On the way back we also took a spin over Glendora Mountain Road. More pictures in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 04:47 AM.

Hi,

OK, let's post up a few more pictures. We took East Fork Road over toward the north end of GMR but ran into a little traffic. This was a fire vehicle headed for the fire camp. Must've been training day or something.

We twisted and turned out way up to Horse Canyon Saddle, the top of Glendora Mountain Road. I must always stop here and take a picture, or two.

Gabor sure does have a nicely cared for motorcycle. He painted the rims gold and I think it looks really sharp. Here's some other dude you may have seen before.

We headed back down the other side of GMR toward Glendora. It was a beautiful day to ride.

When we were down we stopped to chat and take one last look at the mountain.

It was only about a 90 mile afternoon but it felt longer because of all the twists and turns. It sure was fun. I've got some video uploading at the moment. If you feel like wasting 20 minutes of your life you can have a look. It was done with my new $10 MD80 "spycam". Gabor has some video too. Hopefully he'll be able to put it online soon.

Thanks for looking.

For those of you who are wondering, I do have a handlebar mount for my point-n-shoot camera. I can just touch a button while I ride to snap a picture. No more "freehand" photography for me. ;-)

EDIT: OK! Here's the video! http://youtu.be/MnD5P2ogU3Y

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Looked like a great ride Cliff. That $10 spycam works quite well!
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

EXCELLENT ROAD!!!!!
        As Mr.T used to say: "I pity the fool"... that didn't get to go with you guys!
        That would be a new favorite road for me. Just look out for the stray falling rocks and wash outs and have a great frikin time!

Daniel

Comment

Looks like a fun ride Cliff.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice photos Cliff.
            Makes me want to expereince those roads you talk about so casually, and are so accessable there.

I like the leant-over-in-turn photos, with what appears to be about nothing just 10 feet past the side of the road, and then the next next mountain(?) in the distance.

Route 66, eh?
            Hey, I can get to Route 66 in about 2 1/2 hours !

This winter when I am thinking about the potential fatal effects of 0 degrees and 30 mile hour winds during a blizzard; I can say, well, at least I never had to submurge myslef in a pond to avoid a fire storm.

Dave
            Last edited by Redman; 06-25-2011, 06:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes,just another day in Paradise....hahaha....at least this part of town IS paradise if you like to ride a motorcycle...
              Here Cliff is attending to my bike....

One more @ Christal Lake

I can't really add too much what Cliff already said....Nice day,nice road, although i think the corners on this road are a little too tight for these heavy,not too nimble machines.Can't hold the candle to Angeles Crest Hwy. where you can really let it fly....

Great day altogether,thanks Cliff for everything,congrats for the excellent youtube video...Cheers...Gabor
              Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
              Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
              '84 Honda VFR 500
              '86 GSXR 750
              http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

And as an update, this is how we started back....

Cheers...Gabor
                Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                '84 Honda VFR 500
                '86 GSXR 750

Comment

Great video Cali. Where was the camera mounted?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Oh, and Cliff - why'd you put your foot down at the beginning of the ride? About the first minute.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hi,

He had the camera mounted on the case savers. It's a great angle.

Nice video Gabor!

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Oh, and Cliff - why'd you put your foot down at the beginning of the ride? About the first minute.
                        I think he was pointing out some debris on the road for me.

Thanks Cliff...
                        '84 Honda VFR 500
                        '86 GSXR 750

Comment

I thought so Cali but couldn't see it. Just gotta love those mountain rides though huh?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by caligs View Post
                            I think he was pointing out some debris on the road for me.

Thanks Cliff...
                            Yes, rather than take my hands off of the handlebars, the guys I usually ride with will often kick a foot to the side where the debris is located. I don't like rocks in the road.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

BassCliff
                              Personally, I avoid yellow like the plague. If poopsy coming the other way drops her compac case and reaches down and ends up crossing yellow ... I want to give her extra room for that screw up! I like white. Just sayin'
                              Great photo report!

Comment

Working...
                              X