gah! it finally happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gah! it finally happened!

So today, I finally got to the DMV and got my permit, and to 'celebrate' my friend bought me a Mc Flurry.
    After hanging out outside mickey D's for a while we say our goodbyes for the day, I hop on my GS, fire her up, pull up alongside my friend, 2 finger salute, then get ready to take off.
    As I kick her into gear and start rolling some moron in a white SUV flies around a blind corner and comes within inches of me. My first instinct is to stop and not get hit, so bike hits the floor with me under it. Guy floors it out of the parking lot and a few nearby people come by to help me out.
    Unfortunately no one got the plates, my brand new mirror is all scratched up, my turn signal lens is cracked, a few scratches on the exhaust pipe, and I am pretty sure the handlebars got bent somewhere between hitting the floor and people pulling on them to get the bike off me.
    fortunately the only damage to me is some soreness, scraped up knee, and a busted ego.

I find it funny that I have been riding w/o a license for about a month or two and nothing. I get my license and drop in the same day.

McD's is a bad place for a motorcyclist really by the way ...Theres a bank next to the McD's thats closed in the town I live in ..I park my bike there and walk to McD's.... Gland your OK ...Never be ashamed of crashing a motorcycle ...At leased you have the balls to even ride a motorcycle ..And the nerve to ride a street bike ....Most people don't.....

David

Hazardous Toys inc

Comment

Well, I was parked in the nearby Albertsons (Grocery Store) parking lot and we walked across after meeting up.
      I am thanking the gods right now that I am able to walk, because if I had been 2 seconds earlier or just jumped on it I would have been a hood ornament.
      This was a eye opener for me to how easy it is to drop, and how bad some people can be.

Comment

Motorcycling is much easer if you leave your brain at home in the freeze when you go for a ride young man ...Its not a rational endeavor really ...I'm 46 and have never not had a motorcycle in my life scents I was 6 years old ...And there some old farts on here who have been ride way longer then I on this fourm ....So you can ride and live to a old age ... But it takes really hard work at knowing whats around you my friend ...

And you live in my old stomping grounds ..I grew up in Alta Loma Ca ....
        Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

What a ****in scumbag....that sucks mans!

I remember riding for 6 months without my license, not a hitch went wrong either!
          Then once I got my license....close calls Left and Right!

Don't worry, people who drive like that get what they deserve.
          Karma's a real a bitch.....the only problem is you probably won't get to see it in action, but you Know it's coming for them one way or another.

Comment

Very sorry to hear some idiot ruined your day, and damaged your bike. The good news is you are ok, and your bike can be fixed. Sounds like you reacted to protect yourself, and it worked!

So there are a few great, easy lessons here as well - ride like everyone is trying to kill you because they are! Parking lots are very dangerous places. And you need to pay attention to everything around you - even things around a corner you can't see yet - but could be there. The unfortunate thing is, there are many, many more idiots out there like that one.

Again, glad you're ok, sorry about the damage to your bike. I hope you will consider a rider safety course if you haven't been already - they are very good.
            Scott
            1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
            1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
            1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
            2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
            sigpic

Comment

Parking lots in general esp. fast food and GAS stations are among the most dangerous places to be on a bike. Glad you are ok to tell the story.

Comment

brand new SUV's

Why is it most of the people that almost hit me in parking lots are brand new high dollar cars and suv's? And after they almost hit me they snub me, put their nose up in the air, and act like " look at that piece of junk, it shouldnt be on the road anyway" lol. And most of the time they are on the cell phone and if you honk or flip them the bird they act like " hey I'm on the phone here". Cell phones have made riding a motorcycle much more dangerous imho, and I have been riding street since 1977 and dirt since 1966.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
                  ....I find it funny that I have been riding w/o a license for about a month or two and nothing. I get my license and drop in the same day.
                  Well, you know, there are two kinds of mo'cycle riders. And you have just become one of the other kind.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The good news is you learned a valuable lesson early. There are no safe zones out there.

Earl
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Well, you know, there are two kinds of mo'cycle riders. And you have just become one of the other kind.

is it the 'those who have, and those who will' saying?

yeah, didnt notice it too much yesterday but my bars are definitely bent. also having my whole body being sore didnt help my riding around today.

Comment

Working...
                      X