Oil drain plug repair (thread insert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drain plug repair (thread insert)

I had the misfortune to strip out the drain plug opening in my beloved 1981 GS1000G yesterday. I think it was sad due to my riding the ST1100 this week . Anyhow, I found the thread size was 14mm x 1.25, which is the same as a spark plug. The mishap happened on a Saturday, and I live in a small town, so I thought I'd have to order online. After church today, I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up item #98141, which was called a "Thread repair plug saver" on the tool aisle for $29.99. It's not usually on their website, so this is a where-is as-is deal.

The repair was super easy- no drilling needed. The inserts are solid unlike a heli-coil that I have used in the past, and come in three heights- I used the mid-sized one which was about the same length as the drain plug. You load up the tap part (has small and large threads) with grease, and thread it in. You then clean the tap and the opening (I used some brake cleaner), apply some Loctite to the insert, and thread it in using the smaller part of the tap. The trick is to get it flush with the opening. You can seat it with the driver part of the kit using a claw hammer. I did all of this while the bike was on the center stand. It was literally about a 20 minute repair.

Parts/material needed-
    #98141 M14 x 1.25 spark plug thread repair kit $29.99
    Loctite red thread locker $(price varies, already had some)
    Wheel bearing grease for tap
    Brake cleaner & rag to clean opening
    3/8" Socket set with 3" extension (for drain plug and tap
    (Optional) 14mm crush washer for drain plug

Hope no one else strips their drain plug opening, but if they do, maybe this will help.

These work pretty good too for just a few bucks.
    http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Dorm...50656/Cat/1305 This is for a 5 pack but you can find single packs.

Comment

Working...
    X