Identified Flying Object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identified Flying Object

I was out in the middle of nowhere testing the work I did on the bike today.

Saw an old El Camino coming down the hill toward me with something hanging over the side of the bed. I couldn't see if it was tied down.

I thought, "That doesn't look right" and grabbed the clutch and started to slow just as a bed box spring launched itself out of the bed. The box spring went at least 15 feet in the air and went spinning off the the right side of the road away from me. I had enough time to have slowed to a stop had the mattress decided to follow.

The El Camino never even slowed down. Going to be a bit surprised when they start to unload.

Just another reminder to practice situational awareness and trust your training.

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
    I was out in the middle of nowhere testing the work I did on the bike today.

Saw an old El Camino coming down the hill toward me with something hanging over the side of the bed. I couldn't see if it was tied down.

I thought, "That doesn't look right" and grabbed the clutch and started to slow just as a bed box spring launched itself out of the bed. The box spring went at least 15 feet in the air and went spinning off the the right side of the road away from me. I had enough time to have slowed to a stop had the mattress decided to follow.

The El Camino never even slowed down. Going to be a bit surprised when they start to unload.

Just another reminder to practice situational awareness and trust your training.
    Well dodged! You definitely made the right choice... sometimes "she'll be right mate" isn't the best option...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Nice, you made the right choice. I was following behind a stake bed truck one day loaded with broken down cardboard boxes, quite large and many. Atop the unlashed stack of cardboard a gentleman was laying on top keeping the stack from flying away.

Truck went around a bend, air got under the top couple layers of boxes and then exited the truck. Guy landed face down in the middle of the lane. I stopped and gave him a clean rag for the road rashed bloody forearms and called ems. Had I been following to close he would have landed on top of me and my bike.

Comment

That sounds very messy, Loki.

Comment

Several years ago I came up behind a pickup with an un tethered aluminum ladder in the bed. I could see it was wanting to levitate and slowed down. Sure enough it came flying out and skidded down the road. I was in the cage but was thinking "that would be BAD on a bike".
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Basket ball backboard out of the back of a u-haul truck. Scary
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sure glad you missed it. Congrats.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The most I ever had to dodge were strips of retread tires from 18 wheelers. They are so common on I65 that I learned how to tell if one was about to let loose. Not very pleasant, but then, they are out to get us.

Comment

rocks

The other day I ducked a good sized rock a little smaller then a golf ball . A couple of days later I caught one just on the inside of my right knee saw that one coming to late . Thankfully it was mostly a glancing blow but it still hurt . Back in the eighties when I was about 6 or 7 I remember my dad having a big tri color bruise in the middle of his chest . Him and a crow had an unscheduled meeting on the highway at about 55 . My dad said it all but knocked him off the bike took his wind and sent him into a hell of a wobble but he didnt hit the pavement . see ya 70GT

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    Several years ago I came up behind a pickup with an un tethered aluminum ladder in the bed. I could see it was wanting to levitate and slowed down. Sure enough it came flying out and skidded down the road. I was in the cage but was thinking "that would be BAD on a bike".
                    I was behind a utility co truck in a borrowed car, with an 18 wheeler on both sides when a ladder came off his rack. Had no choice but to go right over the ladder. 4 flats, and possibly some soiled boxers :O

OP: Good thing you were paying attention. Situational awareness saves lives, like your story demonstrates.

Comment

Working...
                    X