Suzuki GS1100 EZ 27 years of riding Suzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1100 EZ 27 years of riding Suzy

I bought my Champagne colored 1982 Suzuki from a workmate in late 1984. I remember it well. It was winter in New England and I just had to ride it after I got it home. I nearly froze but it was worth it. I had admired this model Suzuki since they came out. I think the bike had five or six thousand miles when I bought it. I call her Suzy. The PO added a Lockhart oil cooler.
    The first few years I had the bike living in Connecticut. I left CT and moved to San Francisco for work. The riding was unbelievable and I have many good memories of riding the beeline highway, stopping at Alice’s Restaurant and so on.
    But it wasn’t meant to be. After only six months, I took a new job which led me to Montreal, Canada. I spent one year riding through the local area and upstate New York in the summer. It was at this time I obtained a dynojet kit with four pod filters. It made the bike start much easier when cold and made the engine much smoother it seemed. While it made the bike run harder, it seemed to make it mellow at the same time. An unusual feeling that is hard to describe. When accelerating moderately to hard it feels like your being pushed along by a giant marshmallow or pillow with no real drama. Just the sound of the four carburetors doing their thing.
    So after one year I got a transfer to Ottawa Canada, where I stayed for another 3 years. More riding in Canada and upstate NY. I made one trip to see the races in Laconia ,New Hampshire in 1990. Then I transferred back to Connecticut again for six months. Rode to Marcus Dairy, in Danbury once or twice. Then the bike got a rest for 2 years. I had applied for a job in New Zealand and got it. I had a dilemma when I got there; no bike and the most gorgeous roads and scenery I had ever seen. I even looked at a same year 1100 Katana to buy, but it was a bit battered and the steering felt heavy with the clip-on bars compared to Suzy, so I passed.
    After two years of no Suzy, I was transferred to Melbourne, Australia. I couldn’t take it anymore; I had my bike shipped to me. This was with some trepidation as the Australian import rules are stringent and I didn’t know what would happen when the bike arrived. Thanks to Mick Hone and Suzuki Australia, we got the import issues resolved. The fact that I hadn’t modified the bike saved me as it would have to be returned to stock configuration to be registered. I rode the bike there for 5 ½ years until my work visa expired. Then on to Phoenix, Arizona where it is today. Mileage at the time of writing is 56K miles.

Great story. I have had mine for 4 years and cannot get enough of it. I hope when my kids get a little older that I can go further away than a day. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Only 50 odd K in 27 years!!! My god man she's barely broke in. You're punishing her! Get out and ride!!!!
      Kidding...but seriously, she's barely broke in! Where's the piccys of this two owner beaut! Bring em on!

Welcome to the fray...with the genii here, you'll have her running a treat for another 50K easy peasy lemon squeesy. Quite a few of us in the western states too. Mayhaps a meet up will be in your future.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, its for sale in the classifieds!

Comment

Welcome! What part of Phoenix are you in?

Comment

Nice bike!

Comment

I have the bike in Maricopa.

Comment

Reduced Price

Guys price reduced to 1900.00

Comment

Working...
                X