Pay Attention!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay Attention!

This should not have happened if the rider was looking down the road. He didn't hit the brakes until he was 40 feet away.

"A witness to the crash said as Johnson approached the semi, Johnson did not realize the rig was stopped and attempted to avoid a crash by braking.
    Approximately 40 feet of tire marks were visible on the roadway leading directly up the ramp on the back of the truck."

Motorcyclist airlifted following crash

Homosassa man launched off bike, strikes back windshield of flatbed truck

1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

The flatbed was cited for parking/unloading on a highway, so even though riders should be wary and it is us that get seriously hurt, I'm not sure the motorcyclist should be blamed. There would be no brakelights if the truck driver was parked and out of the truck, and did the trucker have his hazards flashing to give anyone behind some warning? And if you think he should have swerved to avoid a collision... maybe you can't see anything around the truck to decide whether to swerve and take a chance on impacting oncoming traffic, resulting in a fatality.
    This is clear negligence on the trucker's part and the rider will pay for it with his injuries. I wouldn't be beating up on the rider. Yes, be alert and look ahead, but how many times have you happened on an unexpected situation in the middle of your path with a bike, and it didn't mentally register right away?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I am very familiar with that particular stretch of road. It's a 5-lane road (2 east, 2 west and a middle paved turn lane) with plenty of sight distance and lane space to see and avoid problems. I recognize the truck driver was legally at fault in this case, but it's the rider's responsibility to look out for himself. What if the truck had been legally stopped?

Maybe it's just me and my familiarity with this location, but I can't imagine having so little situational awareness that a large truck, not moving and with it's loading ramps down wouldn't register until I'm 40 feet away.
      Last edited by fishfarm; 10-12-2011, 01:17 PM.
      1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        but how many times have you happened on an unexpected situation in the middle of your path with a bike, and it didn't mentally register right away?
        Doesn't even need to be just a bike - that's happened to me a few times over the years while driving cars.

Hope the guy's ok.

Comment

I'm sure he just broke a mirror or something....easy fix!

Comment

Highway 44 in that area is a place you want to be paying attention.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The ramp being down on the flatbed probably contributed to the cyclist's confusion and failure to grasp what was going on. That, and less than an appropriate level of attention.
              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
              1983 GS 1100 G
              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
              X