No announcement yet.

Brrrr... It's cool out here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the mid 70s I was in the Air National Guard and had monthly meetings at Martins Airport near Baltimore. This one January mornig wasn't too bad, some where in the twenties. I rode off wearing my uniform with no other protection ( issue winter jacket, issue boots, issue winter gloves) and a Bell Star helmet that had no face sheild. During the day it dropped down to -5 degrees farenheit so when I rode home I froze mostly to death. I had to stop about halfway to warm up. I could only find a furniture store open so I staggered in and my glasses immediately fogged. I was so cold I couldn't actually remove anything. The little old ladies who ran the place came up to me to ask if they could help me, but I told them I was just looking and they left me alone. Eventually I warmed up enough to resume my ride home, but I have never before or since been that cold. The round trip to the airport was about 30 miles, so on the return journey I froze in about 7.5 miles. If it had been any longer I think I woulda died.

Harrison

Comment

hey;
      Years ago we used to ride a lot in colorado almost year around. I was living in cheyenne wy and my friend and i used to ride to denver on the weekends and goof around. on time around janurary the shanook winds had come down the mountains and warmed up the front range. we woke up in the morning and found it was around 30 degrees f so we called each other and decided to take off for denver with a stop in ft collins at the bike shop. well we made it to ft collins and the weather was perfect sun and almost 50 so we went to denver. Well we stayed to long and left just before sundown and of course the shanook had left and the temps had dropped like a rock. It wasn't bad riding back to ft collins but it really got cold north of that We had to run with our chokes on all the way home about 45 miles when we got home are fingers were so cold we could't get our helmets off. When we checked the temp it was 12 degrees f we learned our lesson BE HOME BEFORE THE SUN GOES DOWN.

Comment

When I bought my present ride GS850GLX, it was late Nov "86. I lived in an apartment. My friend in Allentown,PA said I could keep it in his garage for the winter. I sealed the deal, and climbed on my new bike. I rode from Long Island, NY to Allentown. It was 37 degrees standing still. I have no clue what the wind chill was, but I wasn't dressed for it. I got my "chill" (that point where you don't feel any colder) around the GW Bridge. I had been riding a a GS400 for about a year. The 850 went much faster without the buzzing I associated with speed. As it turned out, about 1/3 of the way through NJ, I got pulled over for doing 83 in a 55. I had no paperwork as the guy was going to bring it to work with him the following Monday. The ticket wasn't bad, only $75. The worst part was that the trooper felt sorry for me (what an unlikely occurence) and let me sit in his warm cruiser while he wrote the ticket. It took me 50 miles to get my chill back.

Comment

Working...
        X