Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 cafe racer project - it's a mid life thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 cafe racer project - it's a mid life thing.

You know how it is, you're merrily rebuilding old bikes to try and start up a new career-

Then someone throws a 1978 GS550 at you and, in a mad, light bulb moment you think
    ??????????? in America there are people making a fortune building cafe racers and custom bikes, could it work here in the UK?

So, off with it's bits we go!

GS550 cafe racer - project begins

OK, so it needs to look old, 1960's Triumph/Norton, that'll mean polishing anything aluminium, sorry, aloominum!

Even the forks get their paint removed for further polish

The headstock had been damaged by brake fluid, so I was going to repaint and then...........
    ...yep, it got polished too.

I'm told the wheels were powder coated before I got it, but..
    black and red?? really?? more polishing.

Frame is shortened to support single seat, all unwanted bits of frame removed.

Time for a cup of tea, back soon!

Comment

GS550 cafe racer project - i'm back

I'm back, coffee by my side.

Why do the threads list as newest on top? apologies, but you'll have to read them backwards to get the history.

Anyhoo, on with the build story.

I didn't like the stock instruments, so, out with the vinyl cutter and....... old look (put my signature on them in case I get famous!)

also wrapped them in aluminium (no, it's aluminium now, can't help being British) to get rid of plastic.

ta daahh! guess it's kinda finished now.

Now what am I going to do?

Someone buy me a plane ticket, I want to work in sunny California!

(Hope you enjoyed my story)

Comment

Well done!

That is a nice piece of work! I don't envy your polishing upkeep though...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Man, that is beautiful! What kind of silencer does it have? I've never seen one like it on a GS.

Comment

Great job! I loved my '77 550e. What a great bike. Wish I could see yours in person!

Comment

Nice pictures. Go into the User CP and set your display for oldest posts first.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jetset,

Very nice work.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Aaaah, didn't know I had comments!! In answer to FiremanBob, I believe the exhaust had been handmade by persons unknown, it does have baffles (of sort), but very loud!

Comment

Looks great dude! Nice work. I like the guages alot.
                    1978 GS550 E
                    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                    for playing in the dirt

Comment

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE CARBURETTORS!! (spose this should be a new thread in technical but hey-ho. Couldn't get this to run over 6,000 rpm without misfiring so put on a strobe light and took it up the road to see if coils/contacts etc were failing. Spark was perfect at misfire level so tried to get bigger main jets from any local dealer, not a hope, one had 2 in but bigger size so, thinking I can't do any more harm I took out the mains, measured them at .85mm (standard 80's) and carefully drilled them out to 1mm. (I know, I know, it's not the thing to do with precise carburettors! but I just wanted to prove the electrics were fine).
                      Guess what, it runs like a train now to redline (although the noise from the straight pipe at 10k rpm would wake the dead!).
                      I will order correct jets but in the meantime, the moral is.................carburettor setup can fool you into mistrusting electrics............do the plug checks first!!!

Comment

Those stock 80 jets where lean with the stock airbox/exhaust combo. With pods and exhaust that thing was running dangerously lean.
                        1978 GS550 E
                        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                        for playing in the dirt

Comment

what process did you use to polish the engine up so well? i have the same bike, and after seeing yours, i am determined to get the same shine! great job allaround

Comment

I am a big fan, nice work. Im interested in the pipe you have, I like the exit of it. Any idea of the brand? Wanna sell? LOL/

Comment

Wow, awesome bike. I'm glad you shared your project.

Did you fabricate that single seat/rear shell yourself or did you use a pre-built?

Comment

Working...
                              X