'Snot Pretty... 'Snot for the Squeamish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Snot Pretty... 'Snot for the Squeamish

I've been trying to ride the bike as the weather allowed all through the winter. 34 degrees? Well, okay... at least start it up and ride it around the block until my knuckles are numb. On the days I wasn't sick, that is. No, smartyboots, motorcycling around in the Winter had nothing to do with being sick. 20 degrees? I'm not that dedicated or well-equipped. With the weather in Indiana warming nicely, I've taken every opportunity to hop on for a spin. Noontime. Evenings. Whenever I could, for as long as I could.

Last weekend, I visited my daughter at Valpo, and (of course) she passed her cold on to me. I'm managing it with everything I can throw at it to prevent it from evolving into a serious case of bronchitis, but it hasn't stopped me from riding.

Yesterday, I'm on an extended ride, when my decongestant fails catastrophically. I can feel epic snot bubbles forming in each nostril. They're starting to jiggle on my... what's it called? That little groove on your upper lip? My philtrum. You know the sensation. You're wiping your upper lip right now, aren't you? It's a reflex. I know I can be a man and either snort it all down the back of my throat... <ulp>

###

Excuse me... I have a very sensitive gag reflex. I can snort it all back, or I can forcefully blow it out all over the inside of my full-face helmet. Neither of these options is going to work for me. I pull out of the lane and over to the grassy median, yank off my helmet, and, in full view of afternoon rush hour traffic, mightily blow one, then the other nostril out on the pavement. I tried not to look up at the traffic around me.

Dealing with this cold for a couple of days, you'd think I would be carrying a pocket full of tissues. I was not. Refusing to soil my textile jacket or my jeans, I dismounted and wiped my hands off in the grass.

I am SO proud.

Like most of my misfortunes, I lived to ride away from the scene.

Thats an all too common thing for me as my allergies tend to really cause havoc. I am an avid Zertek customer and still that is often a partial stemmingb of the flow. Wads of tissue are always stuffed in my pockets for the pull offs.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

At least you didn't sneeze inside your helmet.

Comment

Working...
      X