That certainly woke me up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
    You're one lucky guy, you cheated the devil again alright. Buzzards, dancing fence posts, a guy cutting you off, or was that a woman. What next?
    I had two occaisions where I dodged debris off trucks. One was a recap off a semi I was behind, fairly far behind. I saw it go up high, and as I was watching it I was trying to determine where it would touch down. It hit about 10 feet to my left, it would've hit me had I not moved over closer to the shoulder.
    The second time I was behind a pick-up truck with a jon boat in the bed.
    It wasn't strapped down, it blew out and started sliding down the road in front of me, I just went around it, no big deal really. It's the stuff laying on the road that bothers me.
    Yeah, you never know whats going to be in the road. I've seen shipping pallets, bags of cement, old mattresses, chairs, truck retreads, dead alligators, diesel spills and people tossing soda cans and everything else out their windows.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
      You're one lucky guy, you cheated the devil again alright. Buzzards, dancing fence posts,

a guy cutting you off, or was that a woman. What next?

I forgot about that one yesterday. About 30 minutes before the fence post incident, a guy in a Mercedes turned left in front of me blocking my lane in Ocala. That one was just a quick swerve behind him though and I continued on my way.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Yeah, you never know whats going to be in the road. I've seen shipping pallets, bags of cement, old mattresses, chairs, truck retreads, dead alligators, diesel spills and people tossing soda cans and everything else out their windows.
        I've seen dead alligators, mattresses also, a toilet, and a refrigerator. Once dodged a beer bottle someone tossed out, it was spinning all over the place.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Dodging multiple missiles, phew! sweaty palm time!

One time many years ago on my sp370 on a motorway starting an overtake manuver of a flat bed carrying industrial storage cages, we passed under an overpass with the topmost cages scraping the bottom of it I got pepperd with bits of cement and these things were rocking back and forth. Its amazing at how many underside of bridges and overpasses that I've noticed have gouges and scars.

And one time a Bonneville muffler cartwheeling towards me, trying to gauge whether to brake or accelerate.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
            Dodging multiple missiles, phew! sweaty palm time!

One time many years ago on my sp370 on a motorway starting an overtake manuver of a flat bed carrying industrial storage cages, we passed under an overpass with the topmost cages scraping the bottom of it I got pepperd with bits of cement and these things were rocking back and forth. Its amazing at how many underside of bridges and overpasses that I've noticed have gouges and scars.

And one time a Bonneville muffler cartwheeling towards me, trying to gauge whether to brake or accelerate.
            Eventually, the list of things one learns to look out for when on the road way becomes very long. After all the years, I'm still adding new items and every now and then I still get a surprise. heh

Comment

Was riding my GS650 once at about 75 mph on the freeway once when I spotted, at the very last second, a chunk of granite about the size of a football in the lane a split second before I hit it. No time to swerve. I thought, "this is it!"

Turned out to be one of those gag pieces of foam meant to look like granite. It just smooshed down as I rode over it.

Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
                Was riding my GS650 once at about 75 mph on the freeway once when I spotted, at the very last second, a chunk of granite about the size of a football in the lane a split second before I hit it. No time to swerve. I thought, "this is it!"

Turned out to be one of those gag pieces of foam meant to look like granite. It just smooshed down as I rode over it.

Whew!
                You are l-u-c-k-y!
                Next time, try LOOKING to the right or left of the obstacle and you WILL miss it altogether.

Eric

Comment

For about ten seconds, I was busier than a hound dog at a flea festival.
                  Holy fencepost Batman!!, that's almost as busy as a one-legged man at a square dance.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Glad you're okay through all that!!! Before I started riding I always thought guys on bikes were just being arseholes zipping out in front of everyone. Now, I get it. All you cagers get in one spot so I can keep an eye on you cuz you don't know wtf you're doing...

Comment

Originally posted by ikantbreave View Post
                      Glad you're okay through all that!!! Before I started riding I always thought guys on bikes were just being arseholes zipping out in front of everyone. Now, I get it. All you cagers get in one spot so I can keep an eye on you cuz you don't know wtf you're doing...
                      The zipping out front thing never hurt anyone except the moron who gets all but hurt because someone chooses to have more fun they they choose to. It sure is nice to have some clear airspace around you when they start playing the idiot games.

Like the guy yesterday, curving across the parking lot in a big parabola right out into the road. He finally saw me and almost crashed trying to stop, I was already doing my own big parabola to avoid him. What an idiot. So predictable it was actually funny.

Hell, they're all predictable and funny if you pay attention.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        You are l-u-c-k-y!
                        Next time, try LOOKING to the right or left of the obstacle and you WILL miss it altogether.

Eric
                        Or stand up when you hit it and ride harmlessly over it dirt bike style.

Note to self, determine if big rock in the road is foam or real before deciding how to hit it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No wrecks, that I could tell, but a lot of messed up fenders, etc.
                          Lucky. Ive seen that situation turn ugly.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            The zipping out front thing never hurt anyone except the moron who gets all but hurt because someone chooses to have more fun they they choose to.
                            It sure is nice to have some clear airspace around you when they start playing the idiot games.

Hell, they're all predictable and funny if you pay attention.
                            True and true.

Being in between a nice large gap between the idiot packs is the safest place to be.
                            If you have to break some arbitrary "rules" to get there, so be it!
                            You will be safe, they can crash all that they want... BEHIND YOU.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Lucky. Ive seen that situation turn ugly.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1iUEtZYwc0
                              Empty space is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X