Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From sportbiker to GS'er

Hey All,

Sometimes in life you have to stop and reprioritize things.

I've been riding for about 8 years now. In 2008 I bought my dream bike, a 2007 Yamaha FZ1. I loved that bike. I put 22k miles on it in three seasons of riding. During this time I also founded the Tri-City Sportbike Club, which encourages intelligent, but fun riding through education and experienced fellow riders.

Now to the prioritization part:
    In late 2011 my wife and I were expecting out 2nd son to arrive soon. We both still had our college vehicles which were getting old and had high mileage. My GMC Sonoma held 0 kids and her Grand AM GT required a contortionist effort to get a kids car seat in and out! So I needed to look at things objectively. We can either get a passable vehicle which will need more repairs and not really suit all our needs or I can sell the bike and we can afford to get a long-term and reliable vehicle for the lil guys. So in the fall of 2011 my FZ1 was sold. Sad day, but it was the right decision.

With those funds we now have a reliable vehicle for the guys and 4 doors to get them in and out! Yay! Probably saved me several trips to chiropractor! LOL!

Eventually some small funds generated and I found another of my "dream" bikes, a GS650 with very low miles and in OK condition. I have recently rebuilt the engine, validated the timing, adjusted valves, repalced plugs, fixed tensioner and all that good stuff. Took it out for it's first real ride (very short) and it was great. Very fast bike for it's size (673 cc) and weight.

Perhaps one of my sons will ride it in another 15 years!

Bravo!! It should be around for your sons if it's a typical GS and gets regular maintenance.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
      Bravo!! It should be around for your grandsons if it's a typical GS and gets regular maintenance.
      Fixed it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ty,

and .... do you ride the GS650 to the Tri-Citys Sport Bike Club events...?

and ... any photos of the 650? G? E? (I am quessing E)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Half the power and all of the weight and more of your old bike,
          probably takes some getting used to.
          Although, it is probably much more comfortable to ride especially two-up.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Eric
            To true. But sometimes it's a lot of fun to ride a little or older bike to the ragged edge, forks and frame shaking and whimpering under cornering loads than it is to ride a more modern bike at the same level. While they're a bit safer, have a bit more margin for error perhaps, sometimes they're almost boring they do it so easily. nothing like pressing an old well maintenanced GS hard into a corner or ten to get the blood flowing

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              ty,

and .... do you ride the GS650 to the Tri-Citys Sport Bike Club events...?

and ... any photos of the 650? G? E? (I am quessing E)

I'll have some pics posted soon. It is the GS650 GX (shaft)
              This is the first season in a long time that I have been without a bike. Concerning the club I'm be back riding with them by the end of this season probably. Our policy is we do not rly care what kind of bike you have as long as you flow with our style and pace. It is open to all.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Eric
                The sportike was more about the performance. The GS however, has much more style and gets respect in all of its own ways.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  To true. But sometimes it's a lot of fun to ride a little or older bike to the ragged edge, forks and frame shaking and whimpering under cornering loads than it is to ride a more modern bike at the same level. While they're a bit safer, have a bit more margin for error perhaps, sometimes they're almost boring they do it so easily. nothing like pressing an old well maintenanced GS hard into a corner or ten to get the blood flowing
                  We'll see man. I expect a lot and don't ride anything "second hand". This bike will be fast enough. I agree on the handling aspects, but again, we'll see. My expectations realistically change with each bike I ride. My goal with this bike is to get respect for how great it looks and runs, then surprise every one in a straight line down the highway. Make them work a little

Comment

Originally posted by ty998 View Post
                    This bike will be fast enough. I agree on the handling aspects, but again, we'll see. My expectations realistically change with each bike I ride. My goal with this bike is to get respect for how great it looks and runs, then surprise every one in a straight line down the highway. Make them work a little
                    Congrats on getting back on two wheels!
                    You'll probably have better luck surprising them through the twisty roads than the straight-aways. Spend some money updating the suspension, tires, and brakes and your GS can actually handle very well. I ride often with sport bikers, and they can't get away from me while on the twisty bits. On the straight lines though the GS just can't hold a torch to their acceleration. Any 600cc supersport can easily make you look like you are standing still on the highways. Of course if they aren't expecting you to gas it, you can certainly surprise them!

GS'es are great bikes, and very reliable. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ty998 View Post
                      ...... It is the GS650 GX (shaft)
                      Ah, I too had an 650G.

So when you are out with your sport bike ridin buddys, and they are talking about chain wear and adjusting the chain, or are lubing the chain, or cleaning the chain, you can just brush any dust off the shaft tube and say, "there, my adjustment is done".

I got the 650G when it was new in 82, when my son was 2.
                      And, yes, it was the bike he learned to ride on (1998 & 99).
                      But, no, I did not let him have nor keep nor buy nor take the bike when he moved out on his own. If he was going to hurt himself on a bike, and I have to live with his mother, it was not going to be the bike I gave him that he hurt himself on. (but that is a different subject).

Last edited by Redman; 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Ah, I too had an 650G.

So when you are out with your sport bike ridin buddys, and they are talking about chain wear and adjusting the chain, or are lubing the chain, or cleaning the chain, you can just brush any dust off the shaft tube and say, "there, my adjustment is done".

I got the 650G when it was new in 82, when my son was 2.
                        And, yes, it was the bike he learned to ride on (1998 & 99).
                        But, no, I did not let him have nor keep nor buy nor take the bike when he moved out on his own. If he was going to hurt himself on a bike, and I have to live with his mother, it was not going to be the bike I gave him that he hurt himself on. (but that is a different subject).

Ya. I used to be that "chain guy". LOL. Won't miss that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                          Congrats on getting back on two wheels!
                          You'll probably have better luck surprising them through the twisty roads than the straight-aways. Spend some money updating the suspension, tires, and brakes and your GS can actually handle very well. I ride often with sport bikers, and they can't get away from me while on the twisty bits. On the straight lines though the GS just can't hold a torch to their acceleration. Any 600cc supersport can easily make you look like you are standing still on the highways. Of course if they aren't expecting you to gas it, you can certainly surprise them!

GS'es are great bikes, and very reliable. Best of luck to you!
                          So true on the power and speed of a modern sport bike, old GS's can't hold a candle in the straight line or probably any line for that matter given equally skilled riders. However, how often do you really get to use the power of a screaming 600; legally?

The GS is a perfect problem solver for a motorcyclist operating within a tight budget; as long as you acquire a well taken care of unit.

Comment

I will ride anything with two wheels and try to get the most out of them as well. My 919 will walk away from any of the old machines that I ride, but that is not the point, it is the ride.

Four of us spent 50 miles "chaseing" a GS650G, going airborne in spots, so you will enjoy setting the pace on a twisty. Have a good time on the new ride.
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                              So true on the power and speed of a modern sport bike, old GS's can't hold a candle in the straight line or probably any line for that matter given equally skilled riders. However, how often do you really get to use the power of a screaming 600; legally?

The GS is a perfect problem solver for a motorcyclist operating within a tight budget; as long as you acquire a well taken care of unit.
                              I suspect that for many situations, handling is determined more by skill than bike. Times when riders on really vintage machines out ride me and the GS, and times when I out do dudes on sport bikes. Last Sunday's ride with my son, some young kid on a larger sport bike (certainly bigger than a Ninja 250 or 500, both of which I have been on) pulled around several cars and came over on our right at a stop sign. Friendly enough, friendly wave and nod. Allowed him to go first on takeoff, expecting the sport bike to away quickly, but kept up with about 2/3 throttle. On the curves, he was slow, so much that even my son's Suzuki GZ250 (slowest bike on the market from the big four) kept up. He eventually waved us through.

Of course the machine counts. I usually feel comfortable taking curves 5+ mph faster on the Aprilia than the GS. But still need to improve my limited skills regardless of bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X