600+ miles -2 days-ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600+ miles -2 days-ouch

So my buddy organized a little 2 day ride(6 people),didn't tell me the route nor destination.
    Started out in S.E PA and traveled to PA Grand Canyon area camped overnight .Trip up was perfect,trip back ran into unexpected rain.
    First trip of the season.. hands, arms,shoulders hurt, and hands still don't work completely.
    As a bonus, one of the seals blew out on the forks...that was fun at H.W speeds.
    Can't wait for the Fall to do the trip again
    1980 GS550E
    P.S They all had Harley's

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    Can't wait for the Fall to do the trip again
    1980 GS550E
    This is what it's all about- not logical, so it's very hard to explain to non-bikers.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

600+ miles on a 550E does seem like that would hurt. Glad you made it home in one piece! Definite Fail to the fork seal happened to me before!
      Pics would be great too!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Good for you. This is what makes motorcycling fun.

If your hands/arms are still numb the day after the ride, you have way too much vibration and might seriously consider doing some carb work.

600 miles in two days can be a lot....average 300 per day...., and you might be surprised to learn how many riders never see that much. There are certainly some on this forum who would just go out and do it, with little or no planning.

How you set up your bike makes a LOT of difference, and can add greatly to the enjoyment.

Edit:

There is nothing at all wrong with taking a 550 bike anywhere. The E is not specifically aimed at touring, but you can set up the bike for it, and still have a sporty ride as well.

Displacement is of little consequence. You have more power than my old Moto Guzzi V7 (700cc) and it saw a lot of roads across this continent. It even went more than 600 miles in one day!

If you will be doing this often, you might also think about adding a windshield or fairing. Either one can make a HUGE difference in your comfort level on long rides.. (there was a shield on the Guzzi and i came to love it)
        Altering the handlebar settings, or installing a different set of bars, can also make a significant difference in comfort, as well as control. You have to choose what suits you best.
        Last edited by argonsagas; 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM.
        "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          1980 GS550E
          So, you were easy on them and didn't show off the superior horsepower that the 550 has right?

After all... you didn't want them to be embarrassed with their purchases.

Eric

Comment

Nice, glad you enjoyed the ride, that is what it is all about, don't worry too much, the body adapts after a while.
            I used to do that kind of mileage 6 days out of 7 for 10 years on the trot, I could never have done it on any bike other than my 1000G, I just love that bike so much.

Comment

I mounted up one morningb at 5AM and didnt get off for anythingb other than gas and a bottle of water. Got to the campsite at 6PM.. was a 690 mile day and that was on my 98 Shadow. I wasnt too sore the next morning but i was stiff as a board though. Thats the most 1 day miles ive ever done. Havent had that experience on a GS yet, but someday i plan on riding to the edge of the Grand canyon so that may happen someday.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                600+ miles on a 550E does seem like that would hurt.
                The early 550s were pretty comfy, big flat seats like the old 750, enough room for an average sized guy anyway. The later ones got a lot smaller.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I did 1227 on the last day of my trip from NY to CA. Did 500+ both days before that. The bones in my a** actually hurt for a few days after I got home, but I was still raring to go for another ride the next day.

Still, maybe I'll add a bit more padding to the seat.

Comment

Working...
                  X