Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC - Newfoundland

Hey guys,

I don't post much on this forum but I believe this trip is worth sharing with the GS community. My friend and I will be taking a road trip up to Newfoundland from Brooklyn, NY. We leave Sunday before sunrise and are looking to get to Portland, Maine day one. From there on we will take it a lot slower on our way up.

Length: 2 weeks (reason why we're shooting straight to Portland on day 1)
    My Bike: 1980 GS550L (Just hit 20,000 miles)
    Friend's Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder (29,000 miles)

I received my full windshield yesterday but it unfortunately has a 7 inch crack right down the middle. The UPS box looks like they played a World Cup with it, so no windshield.

Round trip will be about 3300 miles.

We're in the packing stage right now and the nerves of excitement are taking over my work day, sleep, etc.

If you have made this journey up to Newfoundland, I'd love to hear some stories. I will most likely fill this thread with pictures and stories upon my return.

Thanks,

Marc

Have your liver checked before you leave. You're going to need it in good shape !
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Have fun kissing the cod! Great place for riding and seeing some sites. There is a locally produced motorcycle TV program here and they just showed a trip they took out there last year. Tons to see and do.

Enjoy it and share your pics.

Have a safe trip.
      Spyug.

Comment

Fun trip. You escaped a rainy week (this week) should be nice next week.

1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Windshield is cracked and you don't know what to do? DUCT TAPE!

No, not just kidding, it can actually work in some cases.

As long as you can see OVER the top of the 'shield, you will be OK.

If it is a pre-formed item you could use strips of aluminum on either side and drill holes through to bolt them together as reinforcement.

On a 3000 plus mile ride, you will appreciate the windshield, as you will be killing a LOT of bugs along the way, and they hurt a lot less if the windshield gets the job done for you.
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

UPS picked up the windshield today and I will be getting a new one. Unfortunately, I leave on Sunday morning, so I will be going without one. My full face will be meeting plenty of creatures along the way.

I was thinking to just duct tape, ride with it and return it after the trip, but I spent a good amount of money on it to have me last a long time so I want what I paid for, haha!

Pictures will be posted upon return.

Thanks all!

Comment

Want to borrow one? Handlebar mount(quick) about 14 inches above handlebars.I'm in central mass,could meet you part way.

Send it back to me when you return.
              PM me if interested,we can hash out the details.

1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Are you going from North Sydney to Port Aux Basques? Or taking the loooong ferry to St. John's?
                The highway from Port Aux Basques to Deer Lake is one of the greatest rides you'll ever have, weather permitting.
                Once you get off the ferry and head up the Trans Canada, be VERY cautious about a place call "wreckhouse".
                It gets it's name from the ferocious winds that flow across the area, and directly across the highway.
                It often has sustained winds blowing in excess of 200km/h(125mph). The area is called wreckhouse because anything that has ever been build there has been wrecked by the wind.
                It has blown over transport trucks and has even blown trains off the tracks on numerous occasions.
                It would very easily blow a motorcycle off the road.
                Just be sure to check locally what the winds are like the day you are gonna ride through.
                I know a few fantastic places to ride with unbelievable ocean shore views but they are off the main highway.
                Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
                I lived in the southwest part of the island for a few years.

I didn't ride while I lived out there, but now that I do ride I can't wait to make it back!!

Tank

From wiki:
                Situated at the southern end of the Long Range Mountains at the western mouth of the Codroy Valley, the name originated because high winds - often well in excess of hurricane force - would occasionally blow railway cars on the narrow gauge trains operated by the Newfoundland Railway completely off the track.[1]. The word "Wreckhouse" was added to the Canadian Oxford Dictonary in 2004. Although the railway was closed in 1988, the winds are still a hazard to vehicles on Highway 1 and transport trucks occasionally get blown off the road.[2]

Comment

That's pretty badass! "Wreckhouse".

We don't have the time to do the long way there, so were taking the ferry across. We've been riding for a year so 125 mph isn't quite in our experience level, haha.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Rover: You definitely just got a PM from me

Comment

Originally posted by gs550marc View Post
                    That's pretty badass! "Wreckhouse".

We don't have the time to do the long way there, so were taking the ferry across. We've been riding for a year so 125 mph isn't quite in our experience level, haha.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Rover: You definitely just got a PM from me
                    The ferrys leaves from North Sydney, Nova Scotia and one goes to Port aux Basques (about 6hrs), and one goes to St. John's area (14 hours). I just wondered where on the island your ferry arrives.

I've been through wreckhouse in a car and the wind rocked the car enough to make the tires squeel and chirp.

Tank

edit: Or is there a ferry from the US that I don't about?

Comment

Ah, no no... you're completely right. For some odd reason I thought you were talking about a route that goes to northern New Brunswick into Labrador and back down plus I was reading quickly at work. (That was the route we originally wanted to do if we were able to get a month or two off). Yes, we are departing from Sydney and arriving a Port Aux-Basques. If we make it to St. Johns, we plan to take the lonnnng ferry back.

I guess we'll be heading straight into Wreckhouse haha.

Comment

I'll find a map tomorrow and mark out a detour or two of the area I lived in, about an hour north of PAB.
                        Nice ride right along the ocean in Bay St George.
                        The ferry SUCKS and it's expensive so have food and beer and anything else you'll need in a backpack ready to go before you board, once you are loaded you will have very little time to gather things before they rush you out of the cargo hold.
                        You will not be able to return to your bikes until it stops.
                        IF you have a choice, try to get on a "dangerous crossing" trip.
                        It's when they fill the ferry up with transport trucks loaded with chemicals and explosives.
                        I know it sounds bad but it's totally safe and instead of the boat being filled with a few hundred newfies and tourists, it'd be you and a dozen truckers.
                        I find that MUCH more peaceful.
                        Make sure you check out Gros Morne National Park.
                        It'll blow your mind.
                        PBA to St John's is a 9-10 hour ride, so you should have some time to stop there for a bit.
                        Also check out George Street in St. John's. It's party central.
                        Most bars on one street anywhere on earth.
                        There is lots and lots to see, that's for sure.

I'll get some direction up here for you before you go!
                        I sure envy you. I moved out west for work, but there is no other place I'd rather be than NL.

Tank

Comment

Don't just show up at the ferry expecting to get on. Avoid disappointment
                          Book your passage ..... Marine Atlantic, especially on the way to nfld.
                          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by gs550marc View Post
                            Hey guys,

... My friend and I will be taking a road trip up to Newfoundland from Brooklyn, NY. We leave Sunday before sunrise and are looking to get to Portland, Maine day one...

Thanks,

Marc
                            I'm in Portland. Maybe we could hook up Sunday night.

Comment

Tank, I can't thank you enough for the input. I will PM you my email address for the detour map if possible. I will have easier access to it. A boat full of truckers and explosives sounds wonderful to me!

Derwood: Taking care of that midday tomorrow, thats the last thing we need.

Emjay: I will PM you my phone number. Sounds good. Ill be staying on Long Island

Comment

Working...
                              X