opposite of road rage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opposite of road rage?

Rode the GS to noon mass yesterday. Parked on the street outside the church, in an otherwise residential area.

After service, I put my gear on and sat down on the grass by my bike to check a message and make a phone call.

Not a minute had gone by when a guy in a big SUV (maybe an Expedition) pulled over in front of me. I thought he was going to ask for directions or something but he was just checking to see if I needed any help, did I have a flat or anything? "Naw, I'm fine, just making a phone call." "You sure? I'm a biker too, just want to make sure you're good."

That made for a real nice day.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

That kind of person is hard to find these days, i'm glad to say i'm one of them, i made an elderly lady pull over because she had a flat tyre and i even changed it for her. Damn i'm a nice bloke! lol

All i think is, if it was me broken down, i'd want someone to stop and atleast ask, so i do it too.

Good to see!

Comment

I always want to stop and help fellow bikers, cause I know how crap it is to be stranded and nobody offers help!

That being said, I am normally traveling in the fast lane and spot the stranded guys too late to be able to pull over and offer help...

Our local BMW riders (especially the GSers) don't even look in your direction nevermind think of stopping!

Comment

It's nice to know that some people still stop and offer a helping hand. I had an incident where the bike quit out on me on the highway, turns out a bump had knocked a wire loose. While I was there trying to fix it with my swiss army knife, and old timer in a beat up pick up stops, asks if I needed anything. I tell him the problem he comes back with wire crimps and a new connector. He even followed me for the next several miles or so to make sure I was ok.

It was certainly a good feeling.

Whenever I can I stop to aid a biker who's pulled over. Many times it's something silly like they are on a cell phone, but I've helped a few people with mechanical issues. Even just to lend a hand pushing a big heavy cruiser into a pick up truck. I remember how good it felt when someone stopped to help me, and if I can return the favor I will.

Comment

I try to behave the same way having been in a pickle at the side of the road a time or two. I even stop to help Harley riders Seriously, I was brought up to try and be a good Samaritan (even though I'm not religious) and work hard at trying to improve my Karma by helping others. So far so good.

I think if everyone tried this once in a while it would be a much better world so give it a shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
            That kind of person is hard to find these days.
            Sure thing. When I started riding in '85, it was normal behaviour if you stopped when seeing a motorcycle on the side of the road. I haven't had to stop a lot of times over the years, but the last time a few years back I the guy I pulled over for (taking his gf's CB-1 for a spin after winter and got a stuck rear brake calliper) was really surprised. Seemed I wasn't the first motorcycle rider who passed him, but the first one that stopped to help (which in fact I could )

Comment

Thanks for this positive thread. Yes, good people out there. One memorable time, a driver stopped to help, who turned out to be a rider who was driving at that time. It is easy to get caught up with stereotypes, whether it is about cagers or riders. Almost always, Harley riders would not wave or wave back like other riders, but a rather friendly one did today, catching me by surprise. Those things make riding and life much more enjoyable.

Comment

i very rarely get 'the nod' these days, never gotten one from a harley rider though, but i'll keeping giving them out till i get one back

Comment

I've seen a lot of good will towards motorcyclists displayed in my area, a lot of people really are mindful and considerate.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                    i very rarely get 'the nod' these days, never gotten one from a harley rider though, but i'll keeping giving them out till i get one back
                    HD riders around here usually scowl and look the other way if you wave to them. LOL The last time I stopped to help one that was broken down, he wouldn't speak to me and turned his back towards me. I guess he didn't like my Bandit. heheh I left and continued my ride. Four hours later when I returned, I passed him still broken down along side the road. I didn't stop the second time.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thats cool theres still some good people out there. similar has happened to me out in the deserts of socal and arizona on dirt bikes. i always stop if i see someone that cant get there bike started or crashed is okay or needs help, ive had plenty of people help me out on trails. but its a little different than op.

Comment

Everybody waves up here, all the way down to scooters. Stoped to help a biker alongside the road, he was takeing off his helm and shakeing his head. I was riding my 1100L at the time.

When I came to a stop I noticed Sherif stenciled across the back of his coat. He had just lunched his clutch for the 3rd time trying to take off after a speeder. He was riding a BMW, and since he had a tow coming I uhhhhhhh left spiritedly all the way up to the speed limit then took it out of 2nd.
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                          I always want to stop and help fellow bikers, cause I know how crap it is to be stranded and nobody offers help!

That being said, I am normally traveling in the fast lane and spot the stranded guys too late to be able to pull over and offer help...

Our local BMW riders (especially the GSers) don't even look in your direction nevermind think of stopping!
                          It's not the BMW's guys fault they don't even look, it's the 28million-denier, moisture wicking gyroscopically-stabilized integrated satcom/navigation/espresso maker/safety collar riding suit that physically prevents them from turning their head, it's not that they're being rude...

Comment

Working...
                          X