Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Trip to HS Reunion in Wheatridge, CO!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip to HS Reunion in Wheatridge, CO!!

Yeah, I've been absent from the forum for awhile, way too busy to play on my computer lately. I'm leaving later today, braving the t-storms and heading in the southwestern direction, angling down through Yankton, SD (staying far away from the Sturgis wonks), into Nebraska, and onward to I-76 and Colorado where I graduated from High School, many years ago. This will be the very first high school reunion I've ever attended, and I only went there my senior year, so I really don't know a lot of the class. I mainly hung out with the pretty lower class girls, they were so cute and enamored with the fact I was from a California beach town (though the Colorado mantra at that time was "Don't Californicate Colorado"), Redondo Beach, where SaltyMonk resides.

I had to replace fork seals on the 1100G last night, and put my new front tire on, and in the process discovered I needed brake pads as well. Luckily, I had an extra set hanging around (thanks Eric).

Now, I'm packing my bags, washing the last load of clothes I need, got a few more things to do yet, and I expect to leave sometime around noon, I hope, anyway. It'll be a rather leisurely trip out there, the reunion festivities start friday, but I intend to be in a motel room out there by tomorrow night.

Yeah, this is the first real road trip for the 1100G, I hope I've got it beyond it's breakdown phase. Since I got it last year, it been taking a month or more off all the time so I can fix the problems that have cropped up, so I've only logged about 9,000 miles on it. The trusty old 850 with over 99,000 miles that needs a lot of attention to the brake system and also needs carb attention again has been more than willing to fill the gap when the 1100 quits. Hopefully she hangs in there for this journey. It's only 980 miles, not really even a ton, so she better be OK.

More to come tonight when I bed down in the first motel.

Good luck; I'll be interested in hearing about the trip
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good luck with the trip. I hope that the bike's performance is completely uneventful. Should be an easy run for an 1100G. Please summarize the trip after you return.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I made it to Denver aroumd 11pm Thursday nite and got my motel room. I took some pictures on the way, (I'll upload them a little later), but mostly all I did was ride, gas up, ride, try to stay awake, and ride some more. Other than tach cable problems, the 1100 performed just fine. At speeds of less than 65 mph, I got 38 mpg. Keeping up with the traffic on the slab at 75 mph, into a head wind, it was 28 mpg sometimes up to about 31. There were loads of "pirates" with noisy V-twins with Sturgis going on.
        Right now, it's 1:15 in the AM, mountain 'm going to bed.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2012, 04:40 AM. Reason: undecipherable passages

Comment

I'm going to try and finish the report on this trip when I get home. I was sleeping the sleep of the dead, woke up, and so I thought I'd do a small update. I got an LG android 4g phone and plan from T-Mobile last week to replace my wife's and and my outdated stuff; I'm still trying to get it all figured out. When I do, I'll be able to post picts and so on during my ride. I will update the thread, it's been a fun couple of days with my old (and the term is not used loosely) classmates.
          Back to bed now, I've a 17 1/2 hour road trip to get me back home, and I'm leaving right after I eat breakfast.

Comment

Look forward to your trip pictures. Thats quite a ride. I just skipped my 20 year reunion....meh, now I sorta regret it.
            Be safe , take plenty of breaks to keep your muscles loose.
            Oh yeah, if you figure out how to post pics from your droid, let me know. Not that I have tried really hard to figure it out, but the one method I tried did not work and I have just not looked into it any further.

Comment

Pictures

I started to post my trip pictures a while back and Photobucket froze up my computer. I've been very busy ever since this Colorado trip, haven't even had time to play on the forum. Now, things are settling down some so the pictures are going to work this time I hope. I didn't even take any pictures of the pirates riding back forth from Sturgis though.
              I'll start at my first night out, and my motel where I repaired the tach cable the first time.

As I rode through South Dakota, near the north eastern area, (can't remember the name of the little town), I spotted a metal sculpture park. The exit was the same one for Vermillion Lake State Park. Again, as in my tour of the Enchanted Highway in North Dakota on my 2010 California trip, the "Voice of reason" (my wife) wasn't there to prevent my stopping to check this interesting place out.......

More to come later, Photobucket locked up again.
              OK, here's what I saw from the freeway that keyed me in to the sculpture park.

More to come, as Photobucket recovers again.....
              Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM. Reason: more pictures

Comment

A small political statement by the sculptor.....
                the sign
                His entry fee. I got in free since I told him that I was posting this online (he doesn't do computer/digital stuff at all).

The sculptor guy.....

More to come, PB stinks now. I have a piano to tune, so I'll add more picts later.

Comment

Working...
                X