No announcement yet.

GS Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a beautiful Bergundy 1981 GS1000G with a Vetter fairing and complete KG bags setup sitting in my garage as I went out there this morning. Still there now.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Lowell bike night last Tuesday saw a nice 1000L 78 or 79, a nice 850g and Slow heavy's 750 interesting juxtaposition of the "barn fresh"paint and the obviously updated running gear.
      Today at Nelsons ride (Gloucester MA)saw A nice blue 1100E with a Vietnam veteran sticker on the back.

Comment

poag's hole hillclimb, near dansville, ny. i went on a gs hunt through the bike parking area and found this 750:

it wasn't the only gs, i counted four besides mine, but it was definitely the yellowest. and sometimes i wish i had a kickstarter.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

1000ES In Grand Haven MI

Sunday, just after noon, downtown Grand Haven.

Saw a GS1000ES.
          Blue and white with the fairing around and below headlight. Thought maybe that is what I have seen refered to as a Wes Cooley.
          Was really really nice.

I dont know 1000s well enough to judge the year. Had VM carbs so that would would make me think 78-79, but also did not have kickstart so that would make me think 80 or later.

Left a GSR card. (You here yet?)

Came back a couple hours later with camera, but bike was gone.

>>>>
          >>>>add later note.

I thought I remember the side panel saying ES.
          But it certainly pretty much like this (snagged from SuzukiCylcle.org)

Suzuki GS1000S 1979
          a.k.a. Wes Cooley replica
          Overall Length: 2 220 mm (87.4 in)
          Overall Width: 775 mm (30.5 in)
          Overall Height: 1 250 mm (49.2 in)
          Wheelbase: 1 505 mm (59.3 in)
          Dry Weight: 238 kg (524 lbs)
          Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.200 rpm, 78 Nm (8,5 kg-m)/ 6.500 rpm.

or this

Suzuki GS 1000 S 1980
          a.k.a. Wes Cooley replica
          Overall Length: 2 220 mm (87.4 in)
          Overall Width: 775 mm (30.5 in)
          Overall Height: 1 250 mm (49.2 in)
          Wheelbase: 1 505 mm (59.3 in)
          Dry Weight: 238 kg (524 lbs)
          Engine type: Air-cooled 997 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 90 ps (66 kW)/ 8.200 rpm, 78 Nm (8,5 kg-m)/ 6.500 rpm.

Last edited by Redman; 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM. Reason: add later note and snagged pics

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

may have been a 78..my 78 1000 c doesnt have a kicker..in fact i dont think any of the 78 1000s did!
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              may have been a 78..my 78 1000 c doesnt have a kicker..in fact i dont think any of the 78 1000s did!
              Thanks. I somewhat knew that 1000s seemed to have changes made in years different than most other models. Most other models had most of the changes made between model years 79 and 80 (CV carbs, slotted brake rotors, no kickstart, bigger stator, halogen headlight, electronic ignition pickups, no headlight switch, ectera). Seems like the 1000s did some of that in earlier years, and some in later year or not.

PS: I should look and see where Twining is. Just recently looked for Elba and Anchor Bay.
              Last edited by Redman; 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice 82 up E model on rout 1 in Salisbury MA riding with another bike of similar age both with Ontario plats and fitted out for travel, full fairings, bags and ever tow hitches both riding two up have a good trip guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Sunday, just after noon, downtown Grand Haven.

Saw a GS1000ES.
                  Blue and white with the fairing around and below headlight. Thought maybe that is what I have seen refered to as a Wes Cooley.
                  Was really really nice.

I dont know 1000s well enough to judge the year. Had VM carbs so that would would make me think 78-79, but also did not have kickstart so that would make me think 80 or later.

Correct in your thinking it was almost assuredly a '79 GS1000S.

Comment

Not a GS sighting.

Went to a Bike Day today, must've been a few hundred bikes lining both sides of two blocks. There were more HDs than ants at a picnic. A few Goldwings (old school and new school) and the occasional Nighthawk.

Mine was the only GS. Pretty much the only UJM. I didn't spend time watching people check my bike out, but when I was ready to go someone did ask about it with a little awe in their voice.
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Went for an evening ride with Kris to catch the sunset from the Foothills parkway (gorgeous sunset btw) and while we were sitting there I heard a familiar sound. A minute later a GS750 pulls up. Adam and Inga had ridden all the way from Maine and were heading back tomorrow. Told them about the GSR. Hope you guys had a safe (dry) ride home.
                      -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                      DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                      -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

I'm sure you guys are more interested in the GS750 we saw but here is a picture of the sunset Poor quality since I took it from my cell phone...

Comment

Saw the original series Katana (not the newer ones) near where I have my bike. A friend of mine has a GN400, but otherwise never see any other GS on the roads.

Comment

I didn't spot another GS today but a guy outside a restaurant this morning stopped me and talked for about 5 minutes about my bike and an '83 1100E he used to have. He really regrets not keeping it. He was pretty knowledgeable and one of his favorite features was the headlight. I'll probably run across him again and if I do I'll mention the site. The on my way home a young guy on a newish CBR600RR passed me and gave me a thumbs up. Overall a good day until just before I got home a woman decided she wanted my lane with me next to her. I got on the brakes and honked simultaneously as she kept coming. She just waved like no big deal after she got in front of me. I pulled up along side of her in the lane she was in and pointed at my eyes as if to say you dumb, blind biatch. Of course she wouldn't look at me at that point. Oh well, nothing new.

Comment

Went for a ride Sunday out into Buttzville, New Jersey (yes that is the real name of the town, and its actually a very nice rural-esque area ) I pulled into Hot Dog Johnny's which is sort of a local hot spot for bikes and super tasty hot dogs and root beer. No sooner had I parked and dismounted my GS a nice looking blue GS750 (I think) rolled past. Was ridden two up both wearing matching blue jackets.
                              This was on Rt 46 at around 3:00 pm. Anyone here? Nice looking bike from what I could tell.
                              This is the first time I've ever seen another GS on the road other than at GSR ride events BTW. I thought it was kinda cool

Comment

story and sighting

Saturday, rode from Saline MI out into what is called Irish Hills area. Rode with daugher and son-in-law.

Went for lunch at Jerrys Tavern, on deck overlooking a fairly large lake.
                                Dont recall name of lake but address is Brooklyn.
                                70+ degress, sunny and clear, great for Michigan in October.

Cameout afterwards and found this parked nearby, had Ohio plates and parked by some other bikes with Ohio plates.

(okay, not specifically as GS, but close, older actaully)

Last edited by Redman; 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X