No announcement yet.

GS Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only other GS i ever saw near me was a rather nice maroon 550, very tidy, it was often parked outside the oxford coffee shop leamington and an old boy (about 70 id say) with bubble visor helmet used to ride it. He tootled around town very sensibly for years and i think he'd probably outlived all his boy racer mates. I havent seen him in a while so maybe time finally caught up with him. I always quite fancied the bike myself, but never got around to making him an offer...

Comment

Every so often I pass a guy on a GS550 on Fort Henry Drive in Colonial Heights, TN . Buddy, if you're reading this I'd sure appreciate a PM from you. I'd like to meet you in person and commend you for riding in the temps you do. The last time I saw you was crossing the bridge below the dam. The temp at the bank read 22 degrees. You were not behind a fairing. I'm impressed!
      Willie
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Oh G

I get to work with a lot of industrious persons. Last fall I worked with a guy that ratted out a G. As follows:

Truck directional

Tractor seat / battery. Oily shop towel filters.

Clock, 12 ga chock knob, can older and money for a toll bridge to work everyday.

The tractor seat and hose grip.

Yes you are seeing it right. Also the air horn compressor is in the bag.

Simple recoil to amuse and the bottom of the air horn tank (fire extinguisher)

Flashlight running light in 12v. Kickstand plate. Air horn tank and valve.

Operating winch and shovel to bury it, if it would come out of the ditch.

Grill level and license plate light.

Hondas
        '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
        Suzuki
        '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
        Kaw
        '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

I am digging that grille.
          Would not want it all the time but it would come in handy now and then.
          The more I think about it the more often I think I would use it.
          Not so keen on the propane tank though, Would remove while riding.
          Yeah I think my KnG rack may get a upgrade.

Comment

I didn't take a picture to appreciate the skill it took to bend the thick lexan windshield, but apparently it is a challenge to bend and work with clean.
            Last edited by yasser; 12-30-2013, 12:59 AM.
            Hondas
            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
            Suzuki
            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
            Kaw
            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Wow I've never seen anything like that before. Gotta appreciate the effort that's for sure.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                . Gotta appreciate the effort that's for sure.
                No. No, you don't.

Picking on a G is like rolling a retired man in a wheelchair..

Comment

Yasser Rat bike...

Those pictures of the Rat bike were a must see for everyone here! Does it run ? Very funny!

Comment

There is just something ya gotta love about a grill that can go 100+mph!
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
                      There is just something ya gotta love about a grill that can go 100+mph!
                      I'd be willing to bet it can't reach 100.

Comment

Well many of us have heard of the Suzuki GS "sighting" in the music video for Electric Avenue. Also we know that George Burns rode a white GS 1100E (I think ) in the movie Oh God, Book Two.

Here is a new one I just found.
                        1988 movie called Stand and Deliver...starring Edward James Olmos, Andy Garcia and Lou.Diamond Phillips....Its about a class of Latino students in a crappy East Los Angeles high school who defy all odds and pass a complicated AP Calculus placement test with the inspiring guidance of their teacher (Olmos) Play cheesy inspirational 80's music......NOW! Haha
                        The pictures are from a scene where the teacher was walking out of the school.
                        550 Katana.

Enjoy!

Comment

I was at "The Shop"* today, dropping off a header to have it ceramic coated.

Did not get a picture, but saw an '80 850L in the lot and asked if it was a customer's bike or for sale. I was told it was a customer's bike.

As I was getting ready to leave, I went over to get another look at it, and had to go back inside to talk to the guy at the counter. I showed him that the petcock was in the PRIme position, which could lead to some problems.

Strange thing, though, it had all the appearances of being an '80 850L, but did not have the "dreaded" petcock.
                          I wonder if it was late enough in the '80 run to have an '81 tank?

I left a card with him to pass on to the owner, we might have yet another GSer in the Dayton area.

* Yes, the name of the shop is "The Shop".

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

spotted 2

My wife has spotted 1 several times near me. She claims it is just like mine, but sporting hard luggage.

I've also spotted a near mint 750 that also has hard luggage. That one belongs to one of the salesman at the local cycle dealer. They told me he goes by the name "Duck". Not sure what that's all about, but the bike is a real beauty.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Spotted a 79 1000E, all there and definitely ridden, had over 50000 miles on it, at the St. Helens DMV.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Totinos Pizza roll commercial... is that a GS at 5 seconds in ?
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X