Beat the odds...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat the odds...?

When I bought my bike 5 years ago, a lot of people raddled off statistics like "80% of new motorcycle riders crash within the first year", or something similar. Over the years I've had a few close calls....nothing crazy, just a few moments when I thought things could have gone much worse, but didn't. Today was one of those days. I'm counting my blessings.

I've been moving from state to state for medical school rotations. My most recent move brought me to Oklahoma. The hospital where I work is 11.2 miles from where I live. I've made the commute nearly ever day for the past 4 weeks in my 1978 MG Midget 1500. My 81 GS650 was in storage and needed a little TLC, as well as insurance/registration before getting back on the road. Getting the TLC out of the way in the last few weeks, I was able to get the insurance and registration taken care of yesterday morning. I was excited for my morning commute.

The 11.2 mile commute would no-doubt be more enjoyable on my motorbike than my 36 year old car(which, despite having more than double the displacement of my 650, produces 10 fewer HP). I put on my padded riding jacket, riding gloves, helmet, and headed out the door at 7:15 am. I left my apartment complex parking lot with a grin as I headed out onto the quiet country road. The grin grew bigger as I appreciated being able to get to 60 twice as fast as I was used to. Within only a few minutes, I had reached civilization, and several dozen commuting drivers. My primary objective in these types of situations is to get away from the cars as fast as possible, so as to not encounter them...if you know what I mean. I stopped at an intersection and waited in the left lane for the light to turn green. I was sitting at the front of the line in my lane. To my right was a black 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. When the light turned green, I accelerated at my normal rate (which is usually much faster than people in their cars/trucks). To my surprise, the Dodge to my right beat me off the line and continued his hard acceleration through the intersection. Having traveled another 75-100 feet (going about 40-45mph by now, the trucks rear bumper was in line with my front tire. I was watching carefully, as I always do, for any erratic behavior. In that moment, the truck turned abruptly into my lane...

In the last 5 years of riding, I've had a lot of cars pull in front of me because they didn't see me (or so I'd like to think). In those instances I've been able to swerve or brake in time to avoid anything scary. Today, I was not so lucky.

The preceding events/actions took place in maybe a second or two, but time seemed to slow down a little for me. As the truck swerved into my lane, I moved as far to the left side of my lane as I could, where there was a steep 8" curb/median. I applied the brakes as evenly as I possible, but the rear tire locked up and I began fishtailing. I released my foot from the rear brake as quickly as possible and re-applied, only to fishtail again. During the first lock up, I was able to keep the bike pointed straight, but the second fishtail was more drastic and forced my front tire into the curb on my left. Time all of a sudden sped back up as I realized I was going down. I'm not really sure how the bike and I hit the pavement, but I do know that it was less than pleasant. My first thought after realizing I was going to crash was, "I hope I make it". My very next thought was, "get out of the road before you get run over". As soon as my tumbling and sliding halted, I jumped up to get out of the road. "I'm not dead", I thought. "I didn't get run over, I'm not dead, I was able to get up off the pavement and jump into the median...so I must not have broken anything".

I stood there in the median for a second or two just looking around at the headlights staring at me in amazement. They had just seen, probably for the first time in their lives, a motorcycle crash at 40mph. Time slowed back down for some reason, despite my surging adrenaline. I realized I might not be feeling everything that could be wrong and thought I'd better lie down and stay still.

Within a few seconds, I was surrounded by witnesses. I tried to stay calm, but they all looked terrified. I began asking them if I was okay and if all of my limbs were attached. I saw everyone's mouths moving, but couldn't hear their replies. I turned my head (still wearing my helmet) to my right and saw the perpetrator. He was standing 10 feet away with his hands in his pockets. His mouth wasn't moving, but his eyes were fixed. He stood there motionless and emotionless for what seemed like several minutes. I'll never forget the look on his face.

The firefighters arrived and began asking me a long list of questions and assessing the damage. I was still in shock and didn't feel much pain, so I told them not to let the ambulance come. I was relieved to hear that I seemed to be in remarkably good condition. Having received good news, I mustered the manpower to call my wife. I downplayed the situation as much as possible and asked her to come pick me up so I could get to work. When she arrived, I could see the look of horror on her face. She jumped out of the car and gave me the warmest embrace of my life. I found myself fighting back the natural emotions as I hugged my sweetheart and saw my two young children sitting in the back seat of the car. All I could do was be thankful.

Over 12 hours later now, the pain is really starting to set in. X-rays of my left foot/ankle and right hip came back negative. An x-ray of my right knee showed fluid accumulation laterally, but no fractures. After treating me for road rash and a subungual hematoma (blood build up under the nail) of my right big toe, I left the ER and headed home for the day. I can feel exactly where my head impacted the pavement. Thankfully, my helmet did what it was designed to do. The bruises, road rash, and soreness will heal with time. My right knee seems to be my worst injury at this point and I'm worried it may end up being one of those injuries that plagues me the rest of my life. I'm seeing an orthopedic guy on Monday to have it checked out. What a ride.

I'm thankful for life lessons that teach me what's important. I'm thankful that God protected me and allowed me to stay with my wife and two beautiful children. I'm thankful for the man on the cell phone who had the firefighters there within a minute or two. I'm thankful for the woman in the SUV behind me who didn't run me over, and who knelt by my side telling me everything was going to be okay.

I know this isn't the worst crash story out there and that things could have gone much worse for me. Riding my bike over the last 5 years has yielded some of the most fun I've ever had. I knew the statistics going into it. I knew it was dangerous and that "it only takes once". I understand (really I do) that for many people who have crashed, they still want to ride. But for me...once was enough.

A sincere thank you to all the members of this forum who have been genuine and helpful. You have been incredibly kind to this rookie and I sincerely appreciate your help.

Glad to hear you're ok. I hope the other driver has insurance, and a good thing he didn't take off. Enjoy those kids, who knows maybe in 20 yrs when they're all grown up you'll be back.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are okay. Are they going to cite the driver?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice reminder of how quickly it can all go wrong. Glad you came out of it relatively OK. Here's to a speedy recovery.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Glad to hear that you're relatively ok. Dont feel guilty for taking a cycle hiatus. Many have done the same. One of my older riding friends gave it up until his kids were grown up. Then the call to ride became too great. Plus you still have a fun car. Be well.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm not sure if the driver was cited or not. I could see him arguing with a police officer at one point. He then drove away angry...only to return 5 minutes later. His exact words were, "I figured that in good faith, we should exchange insurance info". In good faith?!? The dude could have killed me...

CT scan today was negative, which was a relief after waking up at 3 am with crazy dizziness, nausea, and a nasty headache.

His insurance should be getting back to me in the next day or two...

Comment

Riding my bike; I would rather roll in the boonies with the deer than commute to work with my neighbors , especially coming home on Friday. That's like driving with a thousand thirsty alcoholics. Keep your family first and maybe a bigger cage .

Comment

Glad you're okay.

Now, maybe you can buy yourself a Ford F750 and start swerving into Dodge Rams

McLoud
                '79 GS850
                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                sigpic
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Glad to hear you are going to be okay. If you begin to wonder whether the guys insurance is going to pay call your own insurance company and ask them what to do. They will tell you what your rights are and what the other insurance is required to do. When I did this, they offered to contact the other insurance company for me if things didn't speed up. Also, get a copy of the accident report from the police station. When an insurance agent started to balk and act like he didn't know whose fault it was I offered to fax him a copy of the accident report, and I did so. This changed his tune and he became compliant.

Comment

I sure am glad your OK... I've always been told that there are two types or riders... Those who crash, and those who are going to crash. Keeping this in my mind I am an extremely vigilant rider... unfortunately there are those times where it does'nt matter how vigelent you are...

My cousin was recently killed on a motorcycle... my dad no longer rides now. Sold his bike a week later.

Get healthy man..

Comment

Glad you're OK -as mentioned ,stuff happens in an instant. I had a very close call last summer (fortunately,I had escape route that time ,but next..?) I opted to add daytime lights this winter, in hopes that I'll be noticed more- I even added a flashing provision to them if I get antsy!

Camera flash makes them seem brighter than they will be in daylight, but worth a shot.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                        Glad you're okay.

Now, maybe you can buy yourself a Ford F750 and start swerving into Dodge Rams

To own that, the guy's dick must be an innie.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X