No announcement yet.

Pensylvania in my KIA :)) :))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW that sucks! I'm sorry, just tape the crap back on and roll it, the bike looked too nice anyhow, could've been a target for thieves or something

Comment

Dom ole buddy YOU KNOCK THAT CRAP OFF NOW!!!!!

I was reading the Alwyn post and then saw something about you there. Came over here and found that you were almost smushed.

STOP THAT SHHIT RIGHT NOW!

You are not allowed to hurt yourself till I get down there. If anyone is going to be smushing you its going to be me and Dave Price.

Seriously Im glad your OK.

We can fix the bike. We cant fix you.

Comment

Thanks JB I think

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
          WOW that sucks! I'm sorry, just tape the crap back on and roll it, the bike looked too nice anyhow, could've been a target for thieves or something
          Dave
          Thanks for the note
          If i wanted a more powerull cruiser ishould have opted for a valk. They ar closer to the ground fro one thing and have a much better center of gravity. this bike however is so powerfull and smooth that it is adictive. No I want to strip it and make a standard bike out of it. I could easily then install a large clear windshield for touring comfort.

Comment

Dom you have to be careful stripping a bike like that. Most of them have wiring running everywhere that there is plastic and when you take the plastic off theres not enough slack in the wire to run it somewhere it can be hidden.

Comment

Glad I talked to you before I saw this thread.

Sorry about the KZ1300, but so happy that you are okay, Honeybug.
              Guess this means it will be a longer time before I see you again

Comment

Dom, I don't need to tell you to be careful....you already know.

I also got the story while reading about Al. Very pleased to hear you got away without injury.

Really, Jay has a valid point about the wiring, et cetera. Those bikes were designed to have all the goodies, and they have their reasons for beaing there.

The photos don't show any damage that cannot be repaired at home, so you might reconsider doing the repairs. It looks like almost entirely fibreglass work.

Add a couple of metal reinforcements in the bag, and it will be ready to use. Add on woven fibreglass and you have the full exterior back in shape.

The windshield is easy to do. Buy a sheet of Lexan, (leave the covering on the Lexan intact) lay the old 'shield over it, and trace the outline with a felt marker. You can cut out the new piece with a jigsaw or one of the newer rotary saws. (which is what I used)

For the mount holes, use the old ones as pilots, and drill the new piece.
                (put a flat wooden block under each hole, before drilling, to avoid splintering or cracking)

Smooth the edges with a fine-grit belt on a belt sander.

Mount the first bolt at the centre, only just barely snug, and then slowly move outwards to each side to establish the curve.

It helps to use longer bolts initially, until the curve is completed, then replace them with correct size bolts, and the new 'shield is in place.

Peel away the protective coating, and you are done.

Earl can give you more, and far better, advice about paint than I can.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Scotty and Ron, when you are installing the laxan it also helps if you have a heat gun and warm it up real well while you are bending it, (learned that in shop class way back in high school).

Comment

Hey Dom, I'm way behind the curve on this one! So sorry you broke your new, pretty toy. Fix it back as a tourer, you'll love being able to take the kitchen sink with you. Glad you're OK.

Comment

It's a good thing you weren't hurt! If that MEE-OP (the sound a BC Ferry makes when when the horn blows) ever fell on you, it would take you leg off! It's a drag about the bike. Try to fix it, it's doesn't look THAT bad. Even if you don't get everything perfect, so what. Make it a funtional as a tourer again. 8)
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Well guys my brother and bigdaddy have also recomended the fix up. I need a tourer so i guess i will talk to my bone yard and see if he will take the job, I supose ill have it re-painted in the original color also.

MEE_OOPP is correct and i do want to take the kitchen sink with me for a change

Comment

Sorry to hear about the accident Dom. I've been away this week and finally decided to check this thread. As long as you're alright that's all that matters. Take care my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                            Sorry to hear about the accident Dom. I've been away this week and finally decided to check this thread. As long as you're alright that's all that matters. Take care my friend.
                            thanks Bill

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident Dom, but I'm glad you're all right.

I was just wondering about the fairing on the KZ. Some of the older fairings were fiberglass and I can't remember if the KZ was fiberglass or plastic.

If it was a fiberglass fairing it's not that hard to repair them. Plastic fairings depend on the type of plastic as some are easy to weld and some are impossible to weld. I would look into repairing the fairing before writing it off.

You may be able to find a replacement bag on E-bay or a wrecking yard.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mike

Comment

Dom, a little late but I'm glad you're OK.
                                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                                X