New 450. I couldn't help it.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 450. I couldn't help it.......

I picked this little gem up last night. I've had my eye out for a nice little twin and found this one with a clean IN title.
    It last ran 3 years ago and is missing the side panels and front fender. The tank is absolutely spotless inside and is in otherwise pretty good shape.

The best part ?? I only paid $250 !!! Time to break out the wrenches !!!

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Good score!

Comment

Looks very nice.

Is it an '82? How many miles on the clock?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's an '81 and has 14,734 miles on it.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Great bike at a great price!

What's the plan for it? If you plan on modifying it, I might know a thing or two....just noticed - that's an S model! Even better.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Very nice. If you need help wrenching on it, give me a holler.
            I noticed the 750 is no longer in your signature. Finally let it go?

Comment

Yes the 750 has been gone for awhile now, it was time to let it go. I'll give you a call if I need an extra hand George. Thanks.

So Big Rich........how do you know it's a "S" and what's difference between an "E" and a "S" ? Is it simply cosmetic or are there some performance differences ? I'm beginning to learn about the 450's.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

No performance differences, sorry.....and of course looking at the VIN is the only way to be certain. But if you look at the fork tube pinch bolts on the top triple clamp, they have metal tabs hanging off with nuts welded to them? Those are the upper mounts for the stock quarter fairing. The lower mount is an arm that comes off the lower triple tree. Pete and I have discussed the differences between the E and S models in the past, and those top pinch nuts are usually the biggest difference. The front fenders are sometimes different depending on year, and the wheels are either gold or silver black as well. Oh yeah, and your bar end mirror is found on the S model too (but can be added to an E model).

Comment

I did notice some odd "tabs" ear the top of the triple tree....I'll have a closer look tonight and take some pics. The plan is to put it back to stock as closely as I can.

While doing a bit of research yesterday, it seemed that almost all the parts were interchangeable between the "S" and "E".

Geeezz......I want to skip out of work and go start turning wrenches....
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

From what I can tell, they are almost identical. The main difference being the fairing and possibly the seat. But the important bits, such as the drivetrain, should be the same.

Comment

Nice score Larry. I picked up a 450E a few years ago for my daughter for the same price. It's now torn down and getting a ground up rebuild as we speak.

I will have some left over body parts (it's going from red to silver), so give me a holler sometime when you're ready for the cosmetic part of it.

They are really fun to ride around town, after riding our bigazzed shafties, hopping on one of them feels like getting on a moped.

A really powerful, fast moped.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks !! I just need the two side panels and the front fender as long as it's not chrome, I want a painted one. Color doesn't matter, I'm going to paint the whole bike anyway.

It's not running, so, I was sitting on it last night thinking how much fun that little bike is going to be. I explained to the wife that it's kinda like a moped on steroids.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Nice score, I think a little twin like that is in my future eventually.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                            Thanks !! I just need the two side panels and the front fender as long as it's not chrome, I want a painted one. Color doesn't matter, I'm going to paint the whole bike anyway.

It's not running, so, I was sitting on it last night thinking how much fun that little bike is going to be. I explained to the wife that it's kinda like a moped on steroids.
                            I got a fender and two side panels set aside with your name on them.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                              I got a fender and two side panels set aside with your name on them.

Perfect !! Thanks !!
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X