My 82 GS650G went down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 82 GS650G went down.

Long story short, My friends Dad had on his bucket list to ride into Yosemite on a motorcycle. He is in his late sixties and has his own bike, a 1980 Kawasaki 650 something. He is a current rider. About ten miles out of the park on the way home he missed judge a turn going, maybe 30 mph and went off the road, into a tree and some bushes.
    Broken right hand, fractured tibia and a chip bone in his elbow. He is expected to have a full recovery and is unbelievably lucky he did not get killed. I was riding in front he was behind me and his daughter was in a car right behind him. I heard her horn and then I heard the sound of gravel and then the sound of the bushes cracking. I quickly turned around and pulled over, his daughter pulled off the road right behind him and got to the crash seen befor I did, she could not find him! So I ran up the road where he went off to see if he had bailed off the bike. It seemed like ten minutes but it was about 20 seconds but we found him under some bushes laying complete flat on his back on the only area that did not have sharp sticks and stumps sticking up from the ground. He was lucid and was not in any real pain.
    So far he is doing well!
    The bike got damaged pretty bad. I don't know yet what I am going to do. The engine has had a lot of new parts put into it, and the frame and all of the metal parts have been powder coated. It runs but there is a exhaust leak on the #1 head. Oh well.

YIKES Glad he was not hurt worse, that's a pretty good crash for a fella that age. Sorry to hear about your bike though. I'm sure with some help from the site you can get her back together again..
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Home he gets better soon. I assume you guys were doing a day trip; how long?
      We did some day trips down from Reno that turned into long days depending upon how much site seeing and snow there is .
      I gotta ask, if you were leading how far back was he? He did not see your brakes or speed apparently.
      Beautiful riding, unfortunate ending.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the accident. Sounds like a pretty traumatic moment.

I'm trying to piece together what happened from your description. Your friend's Dad has his own motorcycle, the KZ650 (nice bike btw) but apparently crashed your bike. Were you riding his bike or another of your own bikes? Was he visiting from out of town and so you loaned him a bike to ride?

I guess I don't understand why he wasn't on his KZ.

Comment

Best wishes for recovery...

Hopefully he can recover fully from this accident.

After which he can then proceed to make you whole again - that is..to help replace or repair the busted up bike ,either physically or financially. If I borrow something I feel I am compelled to become responsibly for it's well being.. if I lose it - I must buy a new one, if I break it I must have it fixed.. if it can't be fixed then I should replace it..

Just the right thing to do in my opinion...
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Sorry to hear that. Home he gets better soon. I assume you guys were doing a day trip; how long?
            We did some day trips down from Reno that turned into long days depending upon how much site seeing and snow there is .
            I gotta ask, if you were leading how far back was he? He did not see your brakes or speed apparently.
            Beautiful riding, unfortunate ending.
            It is about 1 3/4 hour to a 2 hour drive from where I live to Yosemite. I was leading and he was no more than 10 to 15 yards behind me. I saw him as I enter the turn(left) in my mirror and then I looked back at the road in front of me. The turn radius tightened up slightly just passed the apex on that turn. I think he did not anticipate that, and or did not think he could turn the bike any sharper, which he could have(hindsight). As soon as he hit the gravel with his brake on, it seemed to speed up. He is doing well and is going to have a full recovery!
            The bike at this point? I think I have everything but a tank. It pays to be a pack rat!! Here are the damage parts, front forks, rear fender support, left side exhaust, center pipes, front and back left side blinkers, seat, right side cover, front fork brace, handlebars, clutch lever, headlight, bent rear frame rail, bent brackets(exhaust,headlight, blinkers)and bent left side foot peg.
            He was out visiting from the east coast, that is why he was riding my bike.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
              Hopefully he can recover fully from this accident.

After which he can then proceed to make you whole again - that is..to help replace or repair the busted up bike ,either physically or financially. If I borrow something I feel I am compelled to become responsibly for it's well being.. if I lose it - I must buy a new one, if I break it I must have it fixed.. if it can't be fixed then I should replace it..

Just the right thing to do in my opinion...
              Well he does not share your opinion. He does not want to pay what I am asking to be whole. I would like $1,200 and I keep the bike. The tow to get the bike up on the road was $230 and I had to plead them to leave my on the side of the road to wait for my friend to come and pick up the bike with his trailer $ 50 in gas. The Sheriff finally said I could stay, if she said no, It would have been another $230 hour back to the impound yard and then another $100 a day for storage! At that point I had saved another$330 of damage from happening. The helmet was damaged and to replace it was $150. At this point I am not holding my breath.

Comment

Was that the 650 you put a whole lot of work in? We put a lot of work in all our bikes. What a shame. I don't like to loan or barrow.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Willmrx View Post
                  Well he does not share your opinion. He does not want to pay what I am asking to be whole. I would like $1,200 and I keep the bike. The helmet was damaged and to replace it was $150. At this point I am not holding my breath.
                  What kind of a complete JERK is this guy???
                  You break it, you bought it!!
                  Have him find another bike in the same condition as it was in BEFORE HE wrecked it and have HIM send it to you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willmrx View Post
                    Well he does not share your opinion. He does not want to pay what I am asking to be whole. I would like $1,200 and I keep the bike. The tow to get the bike up on the road was $230 and I had to plead them to leave my on the side of the road to wait for my friend to come and pick up the bike with his trailer $ 50 in gas. The Sheriff finally said I could stay, if she said no, It would have been another $230 hour back to the impound yard and then another $100 a day for storage! At that point I had saved another$330 of damage from happening. The helmet was damaged and to replace it was $150. At this point I am not holding my breath.
                    Sorry for the insult to injury.

Comment

Tricky situation, riding other people's bikes.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Especially if you're a cheap bastard with no integrity.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          Was that the 650 you put a whole lot of work in? We put a lot of work in all our bikes. What a shame. I don't like to loan or barrow.

cg
                          Yes it was! I touched every nut and bolt on that bike

Comment

I keep beaters to let people ride, don't care if there's not much effort into it yet. Once there's a lot of time and effort involved I'm really selective about who rides. More so than I used to be.

I'll ride other people's bikes if they offer, but I'm careful, and would prefer to ride their crappiest bike if there's a choice, or at least not their pride and joy.
                            I certainly wouldn't ride one I couldn't afford to fix.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What a great guy this is... NOT! Can I ask what thinks is reasonable and fair? Does he want to pay a dime? Miserable geezer needs to make you whole again.

Comment

Working...
                              X