Emotional attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional attachment

Well, after getting a few newer bikes and doing some touring road trips with them I pondered parting ways with my GS. It's not a show bike, uses a little oil. But with some perfect weather today got the old girl out for a spin today. It still runs great, pulls hard, and has been very reliable. I just can't let her go.

It's OK. You can love more than one bike.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

At 15 years of owning mine I can only echo your sentiment. To me theres little cooler then tooling around on an old hot rod.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

DB, I have to agree... these ol' gals are definitely "Hot Rods", I go into town to get fuel or a drink and people always look, sounds nice, she does sound angry with that V/H Hot Rod through and through

Comment

Originally posted by smoothbored View Post
          I just can't let her go.
          Hells yeah!! (My EZ is painted to look like a red ED.)
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I personally like the older bikes far better. I don't care how fast or slick the new iron is, it's not as cool by any measure. A 4 cylinder GS anything is plenty fast, and bikes have become like cars, stylistically. A few decades ago I could tell a car model from 2 blocks away, no doubt about whether it was a 64 Chevy, Ford, or Pontiac. Now they all look pretty much the same and you're looking for nameplates to see what the hell it is. Look at a mid 90's Suzuki sport bike along with it's competitors. I don't see a nickle's worth of difference. Somewhere they all morphed into peas in a pod and I can't tell a 2001 Honda from a 2012 Kaw. This last couple of years they are trying to be different a bit, but they're all ugly. Naked bike is a pseudonym for ugly. You can't beat the clean, balanced looks of a GS1100EZ, or an XS650. They sold tons of Viragos for a reason, whether you personally like them or not. Park your old CB750 in a row of modern iron and see where the lookers are. I probably didn't make the best of eloquence here, but you get the idea. A perfect GS1000 for maybe 3 grand, or a new whatever for 14K.
            Last edited by wymple; 10-03-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I hear you. I don't mind a little bit of modern design but new bikes look like they were designed by science-fiction movie prop artists on shrooms. Too many angles and facets, too much "bug" or "alien" influence. I want a fricken motorcycle, not a theme park adventure.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Far more eloquent, and spot on.

Comment

Working...
                X