GS650E adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E adventure

So I decided to return to my roots of riding and camping naked like with the old Norton Commando many years ago. You know, just a nice nimble classic bike, no fairing or windshield loaded for some back road fun and basic camping. I sold my Nortons years ago, but recently picked up a rough looking but great running GS650E which has all the fun and handling of the Brit bike but none of the hassles. A bit cold in the 30's for the night and after breaking camp the 37F misty morning was a bit challenging since I'm 40 years older now. Here are some pics to get others motivated to do more camping and riding before the snow flies. The old GS ran flawlessly. The older rider had to stop to stretch and warm up more than he used to.

Million dollar view on the way....literally the land trust bought this land for that and public ownership.

Sunset from my camp for the night
    Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2014, 10:28 AM.

After unloading I figured I'd take the GS off road for some fun.

Comment

The drizzly morning ride along the Sawyer Highway and the fog blocked some of the view. Leaves are already starting to turn and it was raw damp riding, but still worth the memories.

Comment

Another stop along the way in Warren where the rocket landed....ok moved there for whatever reason in the middle of nowhere NH.

Comment

Nice pictures; I really liked the sunset view
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Great pics... But I think you might find it warmer if you didn't camp " naked "
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Great pics, great idea and great story. Reminded me of the camping I did in NH decades ago while attending the races at Laconia.
              Thanks for sharing it.
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Great shots! I'm taking a few days with the bike camping up in VT and NH next week. I want to find that rocket.

Comment

Lurch,

we've not met, but I aways had the impression you were my age (mid-40s), and couldn't possibly have been riding street bikes 40 years ago. Nice story.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    Lurch,

we've not met, but I aways had the impression you were my age (mid-40s), and couldn't possibly have been riding street bikes 40 years ago. Nice story.
                    I still think I'm younger, but my body and kids sometimes tell me otherwise. Never thought I'd live to be almost 60!

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                      Great shots! I'm taking a few days with the bike camping up in VT and NH next week. I want to find that rocket.
                      Take turn off Rt 25 onto Rt 25C in Warren, NH and within a few hundred yards you'll see it at the ATV trailhead. Take a pic too.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Great pics and story. This reminds me of my days when I was running around New Mexico and southern Colorado back in the... should I say it.... late 1970's. I would do the same thing, load up my '78 GS750 with a sleeping bag and "stuff" and ride for days!! I did have a Vetter fairing though. But even with that, my hands and toes got really, really cold. I've told myself that I need to that again, at least one more time. Thanks for the memories....
                        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          Great pics... But I think you might find it warmer if you didn't camp " naked "
                          Not naked by the fire. That would have scared away the bears and coyotes! But this is were I spent a lot of the evening and then again up at 4am....maybe I shouldn't have been drinking cold beers? At least I didn't need a cooler at a balmy 36F in my tent.

Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

A few more scenery pics to "bore" you. I promise no more slide show!!

Another shot close by my campsite.

And more off road stuff....by the creek bed (we call them brooks around here)

Comment

Working...
                            X