Ahhhh look out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhhh look out!

I was riding into town along a country highway today with a mini-van ahead of me. The mini-van stirred up some turkey vultures, one of which decided to body slam my chest @ 50 mph! Glad it didn't hit my head and I drove away with a few sore ribs Also a thanks to the two different vehicles that stopped to see if I was ok...

Yeah...that's why you need a GoPro.

It's a little early to source your game for (American) Thanksgiving

How'd the turkey vulture fare?
    Last edited by BigD_83; 10-07-2014, 04:18 PM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Limped around for a bit. I couldn't find it in the ditch later so I assume it took off, but the guy ahead of me said something about getting a gun to put it down LOL. So maybe he took it out.

Comment

Glad to hear you are okay. People have made out far worse than you after being hit by far smaller birds.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Be glad that it was "just" a turkey vulture and not one of those antlered forest rats.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It seems to me that you were pretty lucky to get off that mildly.

Hitting even a sparrow hurts at that speed, but a 4 or 5 pound bird at 50mph can be bad news.

You fared well.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The ASPCA will avenge this act of barbarism. You'll never know another moment of peace.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Glad you're (relatively) ok. Years back a guy I was working with told me his boss had the same thing happen, but while trying to regain control he ended up crossing the center line and lost his life in a head on collision.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I just got a good thump in the chest, no line crossing today

Comment

Good on ya for being a healthy person. Lessor persons might have suffered a lot more physical damage or crashed or both.

Comment

Yer lucky, a friend of mine hit one at 60mph, he went one way the bike the other. He ended up with 4 broken ribs and lots of bruising and some road rash on his butt and thigh. Bike went off into a ditch and twisted the front end. Vulture, was okay, was waiting around for my buddy to die lol.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Maybe I fared well because I didn't have time to react, swerve etc.

Comment

You stayed upright on the bike? Impressive. Glad you're OK.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                          X