When it rains it pours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it rains it pours

Last week the alternator went out on my 05 Buick LaSaber. A new one at AutoZone was around $140. I decided to try my luck at the Bone Yard for $35. Well it lasted five days. So I took it off the car (very easy job) to return it for a hopefully better one. Meanwhile I've been riding the 850 to work. So after work I was riding to the yard and then my wheel spline decided to strip out on me. Luckily I was close to a friends house so I could park my motorcycle there. I called my friend Bob to ask him if he could take me to the junk yard, he said no problem. The problem was by the time he got off work to pick me up the junk yard would be closed. No problem, just give me a ride home and I'll figure out how to get to work the next day. I looked at my 1100, it looked at me. Well lets see if you will start( it hasn't been ridden since last summer) I turned the fuel on, checked the oil level. I hit the starter button, after a couple of revolutions it fired up! It fired up like it was happy to be called into service! This morning it was cold 36° the 1100e loves cool weather, it ran so crisp and clean. I made it to work in record time. So after work I'm going back to the bone yard to try and get a good alternator. If not I know I can rely on the ol'1100 to take me where I need to go, and in fine fashion too
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Reminds me of my time with my '68 Camaro. Alternator, distributor, leaf spring, even the whole engine - just a few bucks in any junkyard.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Alternator on my GSX1100F went. $1226 for a new one. Picked up a used one off a low miler on ebay for 70 bucks shipped. Yes I I'm happy......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Check rockauto.com for a new alternator. If they have it, it will probably be half the price of AutoZone. They tend to ship fast, but it still takes a few days to get to you so it depends on how soon you need it.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I've ordered stuff from Rockauto for my venerable old Trooper. Good service, great prices.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
          X