Arizona road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona road trip

OK, so I live in this state, but there is so much to see that I love setting out each summer on a road trip.

Last year I did a trip in my 4x4 and included some four-wheeling. This year the trip will be on the GS. It will cover about 700 miles in six days, with a hike at each location, a visit to a highly recommended restaurant in each, and some of the best roads Arizona has to offer (and if you haven't ridden the Devil's Highway, you have no idea: 525 turns in 91 miles, from elevations of 7000 feet down to 2500. It makes the Dragon look toothless).

I will set out on June 21st and make my first stop in Sedona, overnighting and hiking Twin Pillars.

From there, I will head to the Grand Canyon to hike Bright Angel.

Then it's on to Munds Park and another Sedona hike, Courthouse Butte.

The next day will see me in Pinetop, hiking the Mogollon Rim.

Heading down the 191, my next stop will be at Hannagan Meadow, with a hike to Acker Lake.

I will spend the final night in Safford, soaking in the hot springs at Essence of Tranquility before heading back to Phoenix by way of Globe for lunch.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Please post lots of pics. Been thirty years since I was there so memories are a bit faded but I do remember some spectacular beauty.........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

It's a stunner of a state. I have no idea how long it will be habitable on the scale it is currently, but the desert, the mountains, the lakes and rivers, all these things add up to incredible experiences, especially when connected by by roads like the 191. I will post a lot!
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Please post a map of your overall route.

Comment

That sounds like a great trip. Good luck and enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Attached Files
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks, at some point I'd like to do that trip as well. My Jump off is Oro Valley north of Tucson.

Comment

I ride through OV every time I visit my family down in Tucson.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  I ride through OV every time I visit my family down in Tucson.
                  I would love to go sometime, but I'm really booked for the next several months.

Comment

I do understand. I'm a teacher, so the summer is easier for me.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I love when my 1150 is packed up for a trip. It looks slightly wrong.....and oh so cool.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I'm going light. A Wolfman Beta pillion bag and a tankbag.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Light is good. My long weekend setup consists of a set of soft sabblebags and another bag strapped to the pillion.
                          Tank bags always seemed to me that they would be a hassle during fuel stops.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I hear you on the tank bag, but it's magnetic, so it comes of easy-peasy.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Aaah the Devil's ride, so close and yet so far away. I'm with in 4 hrs of old 666. Gonna ride it here at some time.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X