Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up and running again

Hi Guys,
    I just put my carbs back on my 1980 GS450. I only ran it for about 30 seconds to a minute, and during that time I got a good (bad) amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I had limited time due to being on my lunch break. I'm hoping that the smoke is a result of sitting for a couple months. It also had a high idle, I'm hoping I fix that by adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws. I'll have pictures tomorrow. Hopefully, I can actually ride it tomorrow!
    Thanks,
    Thom

Try turning the big alde adjustment knob for the high idle. And smoke after sitting awhile is a clue that the valve stem seals are getting hard. Oil will seep past them and get to the cylinders and burn off when started. Usually will dicipate in a few minutes once she gets hot.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thom,

Welcome to GSR.

See if white smoke happens again, or only one first time after sitting overnight or a few days.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
      X