No announcement yet.

Suzy totaled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you're okay Bill. Suzy was a looker.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by wind jammer View Post
      Thanks again guys! I am in Keystone heights FL. Going to be a couple months before I do anything with Suzy. I have a lot of therapy to go thru before any decision is made. The engine started right up! Gas tank and side covers are undamaged. Left tube in backbone is kinked so its toast! Here are some pics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]43695[/ATTACH]
      From your pics, looks like you'll need the frame, forks and front wheel. Keystone is up near Jax right?
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Several times I've not gone out because the day just didn't feel right. It might have been I knew my reactions weren't up to speed, or something else.
        Of course, it might be a load of old nonsense, because several /many times I had to go out because I'd no choice and nothing bad happened, but I was deliberately taking it easy, as I knew I was below par.
        Whatever; trust your gut, as you say.
        A rub of t-cut and that will buff right out, matey.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          From your pics, looks like you'll need the frame, forks and front wheel. Keystone is up near Jax right?
          Yep thats what I need. I am between Jax and Gainesville

Comment

There's a lesson for all of us in this story.

I resumed motorcycling after 17 years away. Some of it came back quickly, and other things are coming back slowly. I take four wheels unless everything feels right. When young, I started motorcycling with zero training, and I now realize that I never learned many control techniques. In other words, I am lucky that I didn't crash from my own ignorance. This time I'm studying, and proper cornering technique is on the top of the list. There are a few sweeping turns a few miles from where I live. I practice on those. And I need *lots* of practice.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

One doesnt need to take a hiatus from riding to lose skill / confidence. I've been riding continuously for 20 plus years, but the last 10 have seen drastically reduced seat time.

About 3 years ago I noticed that I was a mess while cornering, even at moderate speeds.
              I called myself out on it, and made a thread about ( it was in OT and since deleted) it here and got some great advice.
              I ended up doing a lot of low speed turning practice in various traffic free locations.

Seems that as a result of my nerves i was tensing up and not letting the bike do, or telling the bike what it needed to do.
              It was a real eye opener.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Constructive self-criticism is good.

My first 500 miles or so, I was tensing up, a lot. It didn't help that my 1997 crash was caused by very heavy traffic + 1 idiot, and ABQ traffic often being very heavy, with lots of idiots.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Learn to trust that feeling, it's saved my ass more times than I can count. I can't explain it, but it's just a Thought or alarm that goes off in my head....something around this corner isn't right, even though I can't See or Hear anything. Sure enough, there's someone broken down in the middle of the road, or a deer standing there. I've learned to open my senses, trust my instinct and most importantly...run quick scenarios threw your head as you ride, and keep your eyes moving and Mind Moving, because whatever Can go wrong, Will! Everything is out there to Kill your ass, so be aware.

Comment

Twisted

Bent Suzyf 040.jpgWell finally feel better afte 3 weeks of physical therapy. I started pulling Suzy apart, removed remains of the windjammer. Then pulled the front wheel which was a fight because the front axle bolt was twisted like a pretzel and had to be cut in half. Triple tree seems to be good but found a complete set of forks with a triple tree and axle bolt. Pulled exhaust as it is destroyed. I have found a good used set with 2 center and left side pipe so looking for good right side. I thought the frame was salvageable but the steering has a 9 degree twist in it and left side of frame is about half in shorter than right side. So I will be sending a message to gsrick about his frame. Anybody else have a clean frame with a clear title and a right side exhaust. As much as I would like to keep my frame I don't have a grand to put into it. I have a limited budget as I am on disability and still waiting for bills for FR ride to ER and the bill from Shands for ER visit. I think it will take several months to gather parts and put her back together. Thanks all for the kind words.

Comment

Working...
                    X