gs1000l owner stupidity...or what not to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000l owner stupidity...or what not to do

listen to my sad tale of woe and take heed. don't do as i have done.
    i wanted a little more power from my 79 gs1000l and thought adding a dyno 2000 ignition would be a good place to start. it was. no more points! hooray!
    then i got greedy...i pushed the timing from 37 degrees up to 40. went for a ride and limped home sputtering and spitting as i pulled back into my driveway.
    so i backed off the timing to 37 again. still not running right. had a few beers and contemplated my dilema. about four pbr's later i decided the new spark plugs i was using must be the problem. i replaced my stock plugs with platinum equivilents. decided i had better switch them back again. then i cross threaded number 3 cylinder. what an idiot.
    so the bike sat for 2 summers. my son thought he wanted a project. i wanted room in my garage. he picked up the bike. never touched it. brought it back to me last week along with a 1981 gs1000g he had picked up! yes i am a lucky dad to have such a nice son. so i looked over this unmolested bone stock 81 gs and discovered the oil was filled with gas. he had the petcock on prime. he said it would not run in run position. he also had the vacuum line unhooked and plugged. i think the floats in the carbs bouncing on the trailer filled the engine. he said he tried to start it one day and gas was flowing out of the air filter. so i have to get a battery to test my theory. maybe redemption is on the horizon.

4 PBRs, then picking up a wrench... oops. I did similar, but it involved cheap wine, and drilling the carb slides during a jet kit install with the incorrect and too big drill bit. It was the last time I drank and wrenched.....
    Cool that your bike came back and brought a friend....
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

What I don't get is letting a perfectly good motorcycle sit and rot two years because of a cross threaded spark plug hole.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        What I don't get is letting a perfectly good motorcycle sit and rot two years because of a cross threaded spark plug hole.
        Did I read this correctly? You just said an L was a perfectly good motorcycle.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

He was referring to it's condition, but yeah, had to read that twice as well
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Did I read this correctly? You just said an L was a perfectly good motorcycle.
            In fairness it was a small l.

I'm offering a new service to members. PM me your position on various topics and I will check your posts before publication. Rates vary but check with the bar in your state for base rates.
            For extra I can check for maximum antagonism against the stated positions of other service users.
            Last edited by Brendan W; 05-19-2016, 04:29 AM.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Figured I had probably done enough damage with the timing advance. Did I mention the owner is stupid sometimes?
              the bike was garaged, not left to "rot". i had other things to attend to involving time and money.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM. Reason: auto correct fail

Comment

We need a "Report this Post" option for idiots like directly above.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

the button is in the lower left of the posts
                  it is the triangle
                  OPs are sleeping at the wheelie
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                  X