Gs850gl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850gl?

I've never posted in this forum before, but this looked like the best place to put this, so here I go.

Last week my brother in-law showed up out of the blue and said he wanted to get a bike. Of course he was googling the VStar 1100 Classic I just picked up from work and tagged the day before. I said, "no way Hoss, I just got that one and if I sold it I'd be looking for around $2,500-3,500". "Aw man that's too much" Now my brother in-law is a life time musician with a few relatives that have made some names for themselves in Southern rock, but Korkie just never got past the club scene, but he is also not one to hold a steady JOB. In the 30 years I've known him, two weeks tops.

So, I've had my 80 GS1000G(Suzy II) for sale here and on Clist for a while. Suzy II has been sitting for a few years in my parents barn, because of other bikes and the head gasket leaked at highway speeds. I direct Kork over to Suzy II and say I'll sell you this one for a grand. It will need a battery and eventually a head gasket, but I'll clean the carbs, get her running again and take care of the other issues, like the sticking front brakes, ect...... He sits on it, it's a little tall for him be he says, "I like it, but it will take about a month to get the cash." No problem I think, that gives me time to fix things.

Later that evening, I see a thread where a few days earlier I had offered Suzy II to thebrandonbeezy for $800 as a replacement for the one he had to sell while he was out of work. Some posts later I see him saying to another member that he was going to try and buy my bike. Oh no! I didn't know he was interested. Through a PM I tell him the bad news about my BIL's interest in Suzy II, but that there is a '79 GS850G on Clist way down in Ft. Myers. That's almost an 8 hour round trip for me and Brandon is over on the east coast, just about the same distance, maybe more. There is no pics on the ad, so I texted the guy asking for pics and if it was a G or GL. He couldn't send a photo and didn't know which model was which. I took a couple of screen shots of a '79 850G and 850GL and said his is just like the blue one. They were both blue, so I'm thinking this may be a scam or he's on the flaky side. About 20 minutes later he said the title said GS850GL. Crap that's not going to work. Brandon want's a standard G.

The next morning I mention to my wife about whats going on and she reminded me of her brothers work ethic. She said, don't count on Kork to buy that bike and I should tell the other guy first come first serve. I agreed and sent Brandon a PM telling him that if he wanted Suzy Ii he could have it and I'd see if Korkie would be interested in the L. I told my wife if she sees him, let him know the other guy was interested and ask if he might be interested in something else similar. I haven't seen him yet, but yesterday I'm given the news at work that I have to deliver a Sea Doo to Miami and then cross over to Ft Myers to pick up two bikes that my boss bought on an online auction. Sweet, I can check out the L while I'm down there and yesterday a local bought the 1100E frame I had for sale, freeing up some cash to get the L if it checks out. It was listed cheap and he said he had a lot of work done on it last year before it got parked. I figure if Korkie doesn't want it, I can flip it for a few bucks or make a custom cruiser like the silver 1100L a GSR member did years ago.

After a long day of driving I get to the place with the 850GL and to my surprise it's an 850G not a GL. Now here's the deal, the title does have it listed as a GS850GL.

But this is not an L........

............and the VIN matches the frame.

There are two other issues, I may have problems transfering the title, since it's in his companies name which he supplied a paper that's suppose to solve that issue and he couldn't find the keys. That sucked because i couldn't see what the inside of the tank looks like or the seat pan. I slide my fingers under the edgse and they both fell smooth, so I hope it's all good. he said he'd mail the keys when he finds them and if there is a title transfer issue, if i went back down there he'd take care of it. He knocked down the price to where I couldn't pass on it. I'm hoping I have keys that might work, but if i have to we have a lock smith that will cut new keys for around $85.

I'll take better pics tomorrow in the day light. it looks to be in really good shape and using the kicker it feels like the compression is there. It's got 2,000 more miles that Suzy II
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

The morning after. My wife did a quick rinse off with the hose, but it will clean up nicely. Now I'm kind of hoping my BIL doesn't come through.
    I showed my boss the title and the paper the seller provided and he said it's all good. It was registered under his company name and the paper proves he has the right to sing for it. So now about those keys.........

Last edited by gsrick; 07-29-2017, 09:40 AM.
    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Nice one. Only the side covers don't look original. Well, and the horns.

Definitely a GS850GN. Weird.

Speaking of weird, I've never seen a luggage rack mount like that. It looks like it includes a 3rd set of pegs.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Nice one. Only the side covers don't look original. Well, and the horns.

Definitely a GS850GN. Weird.

Speaking of weird, I've never seen a luggage rack mount like that. It looks like it includes a 3rd set of pegs.
        Why should they have pinstriping like the tank?

He added the third set of pegs, so his grandson could put his feet on something.
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Nice looking G there.

Looks like stock seat cover even.
            And even has the seat trim yet (although screwed in place).

What is the rack mounted to...? Bolted to the schock spring...?

There was not a 79 GL.... but as long as the frame number matches, I would not suspect a problem registering it.
            Insurance company might not like that they cant find it in thier system.

Last edited by Redman; 07-30-2017, 01:43 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When you retitle it just have DMV make a correction to model name as a G to straighten it out for the future. In NH you can change that easily along with a color if you paint a different color. I've done both before. The correct VIN is what they worry about mostly anyway. Nice bike btw. I just sold my '82 GS850G yesterday, so now without a GS....actually without a bike period, but I can borrow my daughter's ZR7 for the time being. The fact that that year didn't have side covers with pinstriping does make them look sort of out of place.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                Well, I thought so.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Funny, my 850GL was titled as a G. Maybe they were switched at birth?
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X