record Year - 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

record Year - 2017

Unlike many past years, I decided it was time to use my 1980 GS-1000G as my primary day tripper. In the past I used it mostly for long distance rides, especially 2 up. This year I also used it for as many day trips as I had time for. By the end of my season I had run up a bit over 10,000 km, which put the bike over the 200,000 km mark. The engine has over 90,000 km since 'refreshed'. She still runs strong and depending on load and right wrist, pulls anywhere from 45 to 57 Miles per gallon (Imperial Gallon). About the only thing I can see being needed soon is a new set of rear shocks as it still has the originals, which are getting a bit loosy goosy in fast sweepers, especially 2 up. Any suggestions for replacements?
    Using my '05 Burgman 650, and my '06 V-Strom 650 on occasion, I managed a bit over 19,000 km. All in all a great record year, considering I still work 3 days a week.

I'll bet your GS is happy to get the extra attention this year.

That's quite a variety of different rides you have. I have trouble initially with the transition from the Strom to the GS. Do you find it takes a few minutes to get into the groove? And then a Burgman really mixes it up, huh?

For shocks try here https://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com...cgi/Hagon.html
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

38 bikes to date. Funny how many I have gone thru, but the GS-1000 has been with me since I bought it from the original owner in '93, when it had about 60K. The V-Strom is a fun bike and MUCH lighter than the old GS. I haven't used it for much off-road, just a few short gravel sections. The Burgman is a total BLAST. Try it-you'll like it, especially if you do a lot of riding in the city. It has all the speed any sane (or older) rider needs. Great luggage capacity, especially with the tail trunk. Good brakes and suspension. Much easier for these old bones to climb on and off of as well. Got a lot of teasing from riding companions when I first showed up on the Burger. That was until the first gas stop, when they saw I was right behind them all the way. While they were topping up with 18 or 20 litres, i was topping up without 12-13 litres over the same distance.
      CHEERS

Comment

Wow Ron. Good to see you posting here. Looks like you're really enjoying the GS year. They just weren't meant to be garage queens were they.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
        X