Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting to know your motorcycle a little better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to know your motorcycle a little better.

You don't realy know your motorcycle till you have to push it. Tonight after work I hurried to get home to go for a motorcycle ride. The weather has been not very good the past week. Today was sunny and upper 60's perfect night for a ride I thought. Well the motorcycle though different. I got four tenths of a mile down the street and the motorcycle just died! Okay, this happened once before, just change the fuse...Nope nothing! So, I start pushing, "The Walk of Shame" it seemed like every neighbor was out. All asking me what was the problem. "DID YOU RUN OUT OF GAS" the one neighbor yelled. (Yeah right I ran out of gas a half mile from my house...) NO I THINK IT'S A BLOWN FUSE I yell back. I get the motorcycle back home, it turns out there's a bad wire in the headlight bucket. When I wiggle the wires it powers up. Oh well it was a nice push anyway and I got to chat with my neighbors I usually just drive by... ☺
    Last edited by storm 64; 10-28-2017, 06:23 AM.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

I had a similar situation on my way home from our ride to see Katana Ken's collection. I was midway down on I271 when my bike just died. A long way to push.
    I thought fuel so I turned it to prime and nothing. Then I started to switch fuses and I found some scale on the main fuse and scraped it off and was running again.
    In the mean time people actually stopped to help but I had it going by then. Two guys who rode Pacificas gave me a bottle of water and saw me off. Met a few good people that day.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      You don't realy know your motorcycle till you have to push it. ................

har har
      Interesting observation.

It seems this time of year and in the spring, it happens that I am going for ride, and neighbors are out ... working on their lawns. Maybe similar to your situation there.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good one Norm. At least you can say it didn't leave you stranded. Or should I say you didn't leave it stranded?
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Funny story Norm!

We really do know our bikes!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Bonding with your bike at low speeds is over rated.....
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I hope you didn't have to push uphill.

For me, getting to really know my motorcycle came shortly after pushing it. I got to know each and every wire, connector and ground. Now I know the wiring is good.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The only bike I have had to push was my 1150E. It was running perfectly. The problem was the new chain and sprockets I had installed just before taking the test ride. I got about 1 1/2 miles from my house and it snapped a link and threw the chain off. heh eh That was the last chain I put on any bike that had less than 10,000 lbs tensile strength.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

...... just dont push your bike when it runs out of gas after eluding the police.... ditch it out of sight and wait.....

Also, I pushed my bike for about a mile while bleeding after hitting a deer. And uphill. That sucked.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have been fortunate in never having to push a bike a long way. although I did have to pull one a long way after it got stuck up to the axles in mud. It stayed upright when I got off. That one needed to be laid on its side on a piece of plywood and then dragged across it and onto another waiting sheet.. This swapping continued for roughly 400 yards by which time both the bike and I were totally covered in mud.

Most embarrassing was with someone's mid-70s 750 Honda that I had been kick-starting to no avail. I pushed it down the street while trying to jump start it and it was baulky even then.
                    When it finally started and I rode back friends who had been watching....and laughing....asked me why I did not just use the electric starter.
                    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

They sure get heavy, especially when the road is a little bit uphill. I've got about 27,000 miles under power and 1 1/2 miles on foot. That was PLENTY.
                      Mark Fisher
                      sigpic
                      ..............................27 years

Comment

Been there -- done that -- got the (sweaty) t-shirt
                        Mine died while in the subdivision - I have lived there for 26 years so I know most everybody
                        I pushed it for a few hundred feet - and then talked to a 'helping' neighbor --
                        Another few hundred feet - another helpful comment --
                        Then one would drive by and stop --- need help ? Well -- of course.. can you push for me?
                        NOPE -- gotta go --
                        The final 100 feet is UPHILL into my driveway...
                        Collapse in a chair and start trouble shooting --
                        YEP - crispy connectors and worn wires..

35 years old I suppose some things get tired...

Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          35 years old I suppose some things get tired...
                          Come on, Carl, I KNOW that you are older than THAT.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had to push my bike home once; as I walked by a guy said "It's so nice to see someone out walking their motorcycle!" It was funny... the next day.
                            Regards,
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X