Old guy with old bike - still going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old guy with old bike - still going strong

I purchased my 1980 GS-1000G from the original owner back in 1993. The bike had about 60,000 kms at the time. It currently shows a bit over 200,000 kms. Not once has it stranded me away from home. Been to Alberta and Washington State numerous times. First summer I had it, was asked to join two friends from Princeton B.C. on a trip down the Oregon coast. I had recently moved to Fort MacMurray in northern Alberta. Loaded the bike in a utility trailer, drove to Summerland B.C. where I left the car/trailer with friend and proceeded south to meet the two in Tonasket Washington. Rode over the North Cascades highway, a trip I can highly recommend as I've done it numerous times. Stayed in Mt. Vernon the first night, then onward via Ferry to Widbey Island, and then south to Astoria Oregon. Woke up to heavy fog and made very poor progress that day down to Cannon Beach, sea lion caves, etc. Decided to go over the mountains and soon were in sunshine and 70 plus degrees. Oregon coast is lovely, if you hit good weather. We didn't ! Rode up central Oregon, and that was before the Spruce Goose had been moved to McMinnville and installed in a huge airspace museum. I still have that museum on my Bucket list. We ended up in Seattle and left there on a Monday morning, during rush hour, in the fog, on a crowded freeway heading north to the B.C. border. Not a fun ride until many miles later when we broke out of the fog. My buddies were riding a 1991 Suzuki Katana 1100 and a '91 Kawasaki ZX-1100. Since I had the saddle bags and trunk (Original krauser equipment) I was delegated to carry the snacks and souvenirs. It was a fun trip with lots of good natured teasing as I was the 'old guy on the old bike', but I'm still riding,(19,000 kms this season) and they have both given it up. WIMPS !

Cheers to you, Ron!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Always glad to see another old guy out and about. I still have three not new bikes (79 GS425 for local rides, an 01 Bonneville for faster local rides and a 96 Shadow ACE for traveling). Most of the folks I ride with are 20+ years younger than me. I don't think your buds wimped out, just their priorities changed (and maybe those back aches). I don't know how much longer I'll be out riding but I can still do it, enjoy it and am grateful I can!
      Merry Christmas!

Comment

Cool to hear you’ve stuck with riding. For some it’s a passing phase of life, a box to be checked as done. Others live always in anticipation of that next ride...
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good on ya Ron! I think too many have some mystical number in their head and when they reach it, are automatically too old to be riding a motorcycle. I've been on a road bike almost every day since 1965 and I have no idea when the stop day will be. LOL Glad to see you keep on keeping on. Cheers!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ron, Good to hear of that adventure.

So you have been riding for decades.

Tell us more.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good to hear from you.
              And
              Thanks for the introductory story.

Like you I have known riders who "gave it up" but I could not call them wimps for doing so. Priorities change as we go through life and both health and our bodies are subject to events we would not choose. Of course, for some of us, there are sometimes demands from those we love.....

Sounds like you have had a good run with health and endurance and since you are still riding there must be support from onside as well.

Surely it can't get better than that!

Welcome to GSR, youngster.
              "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X