Learning by making mistakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning by making mistakes.

At the risk of being called an idiot, I have made a lot of mistakes while owning my 1984 Suzuki GS1100Gk. I have learned a lot by making these mistakes and I hope this might help someone else.

My biggest problem is over-tightening fasteners and components. I broke off the air valve to one of my front forks by not realizing the cap was tight and just spinning. I ordered one from my Suzuki dealer. I have since bought a torque wrench and I use it on everything.

Most embarrassing, I ran out of gas and thought I had plenty left so I never thought to look. My fuel gauge does not work so I reset the trip mileage at each fill-up. I usually fill-up at around 150 miles. The mileage showed 130 so I'm not sure what happened this time. When I pulled over, since I was not thinking about fuel, I put the bike on the center stand and looked at the oil sight glass and saw it was low. I was in a panic and I thought the oil had been lost somehow (a leak, etc.) and thought I had damaged the engine. I had my wife bring oil and I added it and to make a long story short, I overfilled it. It later dawned on me the oil was hot and in the engine, not down in the bottom where you can check the level at the sight glass. I had the bike towed home to discover the fuel issue. It was a great time to change the oil.

When I got the bike, there was a oil filter with it. I changed the filter but it did not come with a gasket. I re-used the gasket and it leaked after the oil change. So again, my biggest problem is over-tightening fasteners and components. I tried to tighten the oil filter cover to stop the leak and could not. I ended up stripping the acorn nuts that went on the studs in the engine. When I tried to take them back off, two of the studs came out. I replaced the studs with Allen-head bolts and the new filter had a gasket and with the new gasket and bolts, the leak stopped.

The tires were 14 years old when I got the bike. I never thought to check them as they held air and seemed ok. I got a nail in the rear tire and then noticed dry-rot cracks in both tires. I took 2 long-ish trips on these tires and proved there is someone watching over me for sure. I got new rubber front and rear and the ride quality and my confidence has improved dramatically. I took both wheels off myself and took them to a dealer for new tires to be put on. I learned a lot about how the shaft final drive works and what to grease. It was a great learning experience. And now I know how to read tire codes and what they mean.

When I got the bike It needed some TLC. I pulled and cleaned the carbs and it would start fine. I was having trouble with the battery. It would charge but the voltage would drop during rides. I would charge and test the battery and it was fine. I took it to a auto store and again the battery was fine on the bench. I then had trouble with some wiring where I found the wires to the alternator/starter had burned open. I then developed trouble with the starter. It would not work but it worked when struck with a hammer. I replaced the battery with a new one, repaired the wiring and had the starter rebuilt. All is fine now. What I learned was the battery was old and bad and by starting it with this battery, it burned the wiring and ruined the starter. A big lesson learned. Even a battery that appears fine and tests ok can mislead you and create more trouble. I also found out I should've tried to rebuild the starter myself it doesn't seem hard to do.

Another tip - buy some JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. I have stripped out several screws trying to use a regular Phillips. There is a difference until I learned about JIS tools. I found several screws on the bike - including some on the carb bowls - that were stripped. The 2 on the front master cylinder were stripped and I had to use an extractor to remove them. Any screws/bolts that I found like this I replaced with Allen-head ones.

I learned a lot from this forum, Bikecliff's site, an uncle, my dad, and the GS owners group on Facebook and of course, YouTube.

My next project is to remove an exhaust bolt that broke in the heads (the head of the bolt broke and fell off) and to replace a tachometer oil-seal that is leaking.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2017, 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling error

Great story/scenarios to read while having coffee and right after feeding our dog, Isis.

Yes, over-tightening can be...and based on your experiences, is a sense of sealing things up that don't always work. I felt the same when I was chasing down a leak that was leaving slight oil on my left boot from the gear changer.

I have lots of work to do and I've been putting it off. Can't explain why I haven't felt the need to complete my tasks but it will hit me soon enough.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Patience + manuals + useful forums + good tools can gradually improve many a meager home mechanic (including me).

+1 on the JIS screwdrivers. I have an old Vessel impact driver that I got in the 1970s. Until recently I didn’t understand that it worked so much better on screws that weren’t really tight because the bits are JIS.

Around 5 years ago I had a GT750 motor rebuild. I trailered the bike to a shop & later trailered it home after they were done.
      Now there is a T500 motor in bits on my basement workbench.

But some PO was in that T500 motor at some point. The crankcase bolts were so overtightened that I used a 1/2” ratchet to get them out & broke one of the bolts.

Comment

This is how we transition from motorcycle owner to Motorcyclist. Welcome to the club!

Comment

Live and learn I always say.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Just my style. Different specifics but similar experiences. Good story.
            sigpic
            1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
            1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
            1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
            On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
            All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Not so sure.
              If it were true that I learn by my mistakes I'd be a genius.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Thanks for the share. We've all been there. Those who claim otherwise are fibbers....
                Learning the hard way is sometimes a cruel mistress, but those lessons surely stick. This forum is a great place to learn and hopefully ease or aviod some of the pitfalls...
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Don't worry too much about a torque wrench... just crank it down until it snaps, then back off a quarter of a turn... Always worked for me.
                  sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
                    This is how we transition from motorcycle owner to Motorcyclist. Welcome to the club!
                    I like that analogy.
                    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Good read.

Thanks.

When you look for the seals in the tack drive: there are two seals in there. SOme of the model and years of micro fische only show the one. If you onlky see the one, look on microfische for another year and/or model.

When I tried to take them back off, two of the studs came out. I replaced the studs with Allen-head bolts and the new filter had a gasket and with the new gasket and bolts, the leak stopped.
                      END QUOTE
                      Good that took care of the leak. I suggest you find the replacement studs, otherwize you are running bolts out and in the threaded holes with each oil change and taking a chance on wearing them or cros treading or stripping them. The studs are readily available.

I learned a lot about how the shaft final drive works and what to grease.
                      END QUOTE
                      You learned about and greased the rear hub in the rear wheel? You learned that the hub may look okay when it is in the wheel, and need to remove the hub to inspect it better?

Have we seen pics of this GK?

Last edited by Redman; 01-07-2018, 11:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                      X