Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the road gets curvy, what happens to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that is a cool feeling when your in the "Zone" Its telepathy, whatever the road gives you , you have an answer for.

Unfortunately, lately, I have been having thoughts of mortality.
    ''What if '' scenarious. I always try to leave a fair margin for error, but when your going 80-100 mph on a twisty section that margin shrinks to the distance you have before you impact that embankment, tree or guard rail.

What if my brakes failed to slow me down for that trail braking corner I just entered or if my chain decided to snap now. I've struggled with the rivet links, basically destroying the back plate by pushing the chain prongs through the plate. All in the attempt to get the front plate over the prongs. So I've settled for the clip which I've discovered missing at least a half a dozen times. One time the link was backing out , but had bent slightly holding the chain together. All the other times the plate is intact and seated enough to insert another clip. I've been dabbing aviation gasket sealer on the link with better luck. I had one let go this summer, just the clip, luckily.

As of late though, its been frustration with the growing population. Everywhere I go I seem to get stuck behind some RV or SUV right when I get to a twisty section. My moments in the zone seem to be shrinking.

I guess its time to sign up for another track day. It's been a couple years now. Thats a real good place to get in the groove. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I use a clip type master link. I always have. In 30+ years, I have never found a clip missing. I use/install a master link and clip one time. If I take the chain apart for any reason, the masterlink goes in the trash and a new link and clip gets installed. Never been a problem, even on the big Kawa 2 stroke triples that had an on/off powerband. :-)

I've put enough power into a chain to pull a link pin through the sideplate, but it wasnt the master link that broke.

Earl

[quote="Carter Turk"]
      I've struggled with the rivet links, basically destroying the back plate by pushing the chain prongs through the plate. All in the attempt to get the front plate over the prongs. So I've settled for the clip which I've discovered missing at least a half a dozen times. One time the link was backing out , but had bent slightly holding the chain together. All the other times the plate is intact and seated enough to insert another clip. I've been dabbing aviation gasket sealer on the link with better luck. I had one let go this summer, just the clip, luckily.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

We are fortunate to live in an area where three out of the five top http://www.destinationhighways.com/ rated roads are a day ride. What happens to me? On those days the world kind of goes fuzzy and so do my tires.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Out in Washington you have no end of curvy roads, but I think the ultimate moto-gasm has to be the Blue Ridge Parkway on a deserted weekday morning. And afternoon.

I must say the Blue Ridge is a fun ride if you're clear of traffic, it's a good challenge to machine and mind. I have gotten off that beaten track a bit and explored some backroads and areas through the mountains around here. I have been impressed no matter which way road I take. I've maybe explored 15% of what I want to ride within 100-150 miles of here.

Deals Gap is worth it as well, ridden in two seperate times this summer.

As for the convention thing (National GS meet) it sounds like the idea is to convent (j/k), gather, more than ride. The Southeastern Rally next June will be a 2 or 3 day ride you will never forget. That's my plan.

~AOD

Comment

Working...
          X