Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Bill, Today or tommorow morning please. (Will not be available for a few days after that.)
    OK, Dave Thanks

Comment

Joe Namath did it with nothing more than a piece of rope! https://goo.gl/images/9nFfTN
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Mr Bill gramna2 sent some pics for me to post.
        I will let him provide the commentary.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ive been following this thread for awhile but after actually seeing pics of the trailer and bikes, Ive gotta say that this doesn't look like a really safe idea. I mean I give kudos for you doing all this, but I really wish you the best of luck.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

The bike runs good after installing the carbs.
            The charging rate is 17 volts Does anyone have a spare reg/rectifier you can sell to me locally here in this part of Michigan ?

Comment

Overcharging

Bill has emailed me and reports that he recieved the carb tee today and now the bike is a runner.
              .... but is overcharging.

Below is what I have told him.
              I will not be available for next few days..... so I post here for other folks to see what I asked him, and maybe other folks can follow up with him after he provides further info

Two Basic question:
              - when you say overcharging, you mean something like 17-18 volts? or something like high 14s
              - if the battery is a regular lead-acid battery is the fluid okay in every cell?

First question: Your r/r have 5 wires or 6 wires?
              Is it that stock r/r having the three stator wires a positive output wire (red) and a negitive wire (black) for a total of 5 wires? If so check to see that the black wire is grounded on a good ground. If it is connected to solenoid mounting bolt on battery box, keep in mind that the battery box is not well grounded by its mounting so it needs to have a ground wire run to it to ground it, this is usally a blk/wht wire from the wiring harness. But somethimes that blk/wht wire gets removed, or even if it is there maybe the other end isnt really grounded. So check with meter to see that the R/R black wire is really grounded.... or as a test: run your own wire from that point to battery negitive and see if things work bettter/different. If your starter solenoid works then this is probaly not the problem since the solenoid uses that same ground.

Maybe the R/R has been replaced with a differnt type of R/R that has the three staor wires, the positive output (red), the negitive (black) and an additional (6th) wirre that is called a sence wire. THis sence wire needs to be connected to a hot wire that turns off with the key, if it is not connected to anything or has a bad connection then it senses low voltage and the r/r cranks up its output to the max.

If it is something like 16-17-18 volts, you will not want to run it like that. It will wreck the battery and burnout headlight and other bulbs for sure, and maybe ruin the ignitor too (and those are expensive).

END QUOTE

>>>opps, didnt see that he had posted here

Last edited by Redman; 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM. Reason: opps

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Bill is going to see if the gent he is staying with has a later Honda R/R that would work. I linked him Matchless's list. All is not lost yet. Plan B might have to take effect if he can't come up with one in his neck of the woods.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That bike is exactly like mine right down to the color! That fairing looks good on there, been keeping my eye out for a mount for quite some time now. As the the weight, I'm about 210 these days and packing about 100 lbs of tools and gear. The weight itself isn't an issue, it's cross winds that are getting me. Monday and earlier today where both a PITA to ride in. That kind of load is going to be a handful on the interstate for you, when you think about it all you REALLY need is to do is keep the front wheel off the ground on the 125 and keep the fork locked straight with the frame to tow it. See the CC and Company pic I put up for inspiration on that end.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                    Ive been following this thread for awhile but after actually seeing pics of the trailer and bikes, Ive gotta say that this doesn't look like a really safe idea. I mean I give kudos for you doing all this, but I really wish you the best of luck.
                    I don't know much about this particular set up but I wouldn't worry about the actual towing part. The HF trailer is good, the hitch looks good. Not really sure about the bikes power and how well it'll pull, but there's a thread over on ADV rider of a guy towing a sail boat all over the US behind a Ulysses. Says having the boat/trailer on the back actually makes the cross winds easier than without.

Hi, my name is Mark, I'm a 65 year old Australian and I'm on a motorbike trip across North America from Louisiana to Alaska. I arrived in the USA on...
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                      I don't know much about this particular set up but I wouldn't worry about the actual towing part. The HF trailer is good, the hitch looks good. Not really sure about the bikes power and how well it'll pull, but there's a thread over on ADV rider of a guy towing a sail boat all over the US behind a Ulysses. Says having the boat/trailer on the back actually makes the cross winds easier than without.

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...homer.1288708/
                      Thanks for the encouragement,much appreciated

Comment

Both of those bikes look pretty nice. You sure are having an adventure. I'm sure you'll do fine
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          That bike is exactly like mine right down to the color! That fairing looks good on there, been keeping my eye out for a mount for quite some time now. As the the weight, I'm about 210 these days and packing about 100 lbs of tools and gear. The weight itself isn't an issue, it's cross winds that are getting me. Monday and earlier today where both a PITA to ride in. That kind of load is going to be a handful on the interstate for you, when you think about it all you REALLY need is to do is keep the front wheel off the ground on the 125 and keep the fork locked straight with the frame to tow it. See the CC and Company pic I put up for inspiration on that end.
                          Rustybronco welded a bracket onto this Quicksilver bracket which came off another bike, I'm looking for a specific GS450 bracket too. I was watching a full Quicksilver fairing with mount bracket on EBay which finally sold, would have liked to buy just the bracket..
                          Last edited by grcamna2; 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM.

Comment

I really want to leave today, the bike is running good except for needing a good regulator. The trailer and hitch are all set, I'm ready to get on the road to head West.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              Bill is going to see if the gent he is staying with has a later Honda R/R that would work. I linked him Matchless's list. All is not lost yet. Plan B might have to take effect if he can't come up with one in his neck of the woods.
                              I looked/asked here at 'Dan's back yard garage and part-em-out shop' and he doesn't have one. This is the stock regulator #RS 2142,I think it's the original one from when the bike was new in 1982.
                              Last edited by grcamna2; 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                                Both of those bikes look pretty nice. You sure are having an adventure. I'm sure you'll do fine
                                Thank you,
                                This has been great getting out of the apartment back home.The challenge has been doing all this on 800 a month SS, but so far it's been OK.

Comment

Working...
                                X