Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That advrider link brings back some memories, about 30 yrs ago I ran into a guy pulling a rig much like that one behind his HD dresser.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Mista M came by today and helped me again !
      I now have my charging system running good and plan to pull out tomorrow morning early.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
        I now have my charging system running good and plan to pull out tomorrow morning early.
        Good.
        was a 3 week effort.
        what was the fix on the charging system...? The r/r?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes, I replaced the R/R and now it's between 14.5-13.3volts,it varies with load as normal.

Comment

When I originally spoke with Dan he told me he had tools... I wasn't prepared for the situation that I encountered.
            This is a good GS450 and it still needs a valve adjustment and carburetor sync,very much in need of it. Dan doesn't understand if it has a tight valve or two and he doesn't even know what carburetor sync gauges are.. I need to get out of this situation right now and I will be rolling westbound on Interstate 80 tomorrow morning. Do any of you members along my route of Interstate 80 West have any valve adjustment tools or carburetor sync gauges I can borrow Right Where You Are?

Comment

Here's how I do a carb sync: Get a piece of clear tubing the size of your vacuum fittings that go into the intakes, three feet or so should do. Put some water in the tube and make a half circle loop so the water sits in the bottom and put the ends into the vacuum fittings. Mark the water level on the tube with tape or whatever and fire up the bike. The water will go or down on each side depending on the pull from each carb, adjust accordingly.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have both. If you are not leaving until tomorrow maybe we can check the valves and sync the carbs before you leave. I won't be available from mid-late afternoon forward.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

i wish i knew you needed carb gauges, i would have brought mine. what happened with finding a jacket?
                  1984 GS550ES
                  Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                  4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    I have both. If you are not leaving until tomorrow maybe we can check the valves and sync the carbs before you leave. I won't be available from mid-late afternoon forward.
                    Dale,
                    I will try to reach you by phone. I have a new gasket, but my shims and shim tool were taken back in NV.

Comment

Here she is in all her glory.

Comment

Please keep us informed as to where you are along the way. I'm so tempted to meet you at the California border.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Mr G, I let him know just before he left.

Completed quite a few tasks today. California Ho! (4:45PM)

Comment

I knew that it needed a valve adjustment,the only thing I want to do now is drive it for a while,try to head down to I80 from here then get some sleep

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                              I knew that it needed a valve adjustment,the only thing I want to do now is drive it for a while,try to head down to I80 from here then get some sleep
                              I've got probably 10 or so shims you are welcome to rummage through (these fit 650 and 850's.... IIRC 21 MM in diameter?) If these fit a 450, you are welcome to them. My 'valve adjustment tools' consist of some zip ties and I do have appropriate feeler gauges . I'm in SCS...but am leaving the house tomorrow (Sat.) around 8a, and won't be home until 5p. I'd be more worried about burning a valve over 3k miles than having perfectly synched carbs. I do know my 850 ran MUCH smoother after I adjusted the valves...almost all were tight.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2018, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
                                I've got probably 10 or so shims you are welcome to rummage through (these fit 650 and 850's.... IIRC 21 MM in diameter?) If these fit a 450, you are welcome to rummage through them. My 'valve adjustment tools' consist of some zip ties. I'm in SCS...but am leaving the house around 8a, and won't be home until 5p. I'd be more worried about burning a valve over 3k miles than having perfectly synched carbs. I do know my 850 ran MUCH smoother after I adjusted the valves...almost all were tight.
                                Rustybronco and I have these 4 valves set very nicely and the GS is running much better,it still needs a carb synchronization.I am in OHIO now on Rte 20A West in Swanton will keep going West and looking for a place to put down a sleeping bag and then up first thing in the AM to keep heading West

Comment

Working...
                                X