Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
    Hmm, i used to live there and I bet you wouldn't be the first cyclist through there....if you listen to all the possible scary what-ifs you'll stay on your couch - oh! did I say heart disease form lack of activity ;-)
    Either way I'll be 'on my way through'

Comment

I live in St Clair Shores - I would like to meet you and see your GS450. PM sent. Steve
      85 1150E

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Conlan View Post
        I live in St Clair Shores - I would like to meet you and see your GS450. PM sent. Steve
        Hi Steve, I'm picking it up from Dan,the man who sells used Japanese motorcycles and parts.
        I can try to meet you before I leave,Dan is letting me work on the bike myself at his garage:clean the carbs.,front fork seals,etc.

Comment

I live in SCS as well. Sounds like you are going to be busy but if you have some time, and enjoy craft beer, you need to check out Baffin Brewery, located on Jefferson just north of 10 mile rd.

Out of curiosity, are you shipping your bicycle back?

Comment

I have only read your plans so far, but today's your day!! Good luck, I'm jealous!

As a side note: You may be a bit crazy.. And I like that haha

Comment

This is an awesome adventure, I live in about 15 minutes from St. Clair. If you want to get together with some of the locals and have a meal or beer, let me know.
              1984 GS550ES
              Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
              4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

I only did one state, and that was a number of decades ago. It will be quite an adventure!
                Mark Fisher
                sigpic
                ..............................27 years

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  I don't believe any state requires emissions checks on antique motorcycles.
                  My brother had to smog his 1980 and 1981 GS 1000G and 850G in Maricopa County, AZ. That is the only place I've heard of actual tenting being required. They quit testing in 2013, I understand. I thing emissions came into effect about 1978 or 1979.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

subscribed. This is the exact kind of foolhardy plan that I found appealing when I was younger. Aw heck, I still find it appealing and I wish you the best of luck in completing the adventure.

Where are you now?
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      subscribed. This is the exact kind of foolhardy plan that I found appealing when I was younger. Aw heck, I still find it appealing and I wish you the best of luck in completing the adventure.

Where are you now?
                      I'm in St. Clair Shores now and making slow forward progress on the Gs450. I've had my share of 'adventure' so far this past month,I hope June is easier
                      Last edited by grcamna2; 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I need a couple parts;I'm missing the rubber parts to mount the fuel tank.Do any local Michigan members have any spares ? I also need to borrow a self-centering center punch and an easy-out to remove one more broken exhaust bolt,removed the other two already.
                        My friend Dan has mostly old broken tools..
                        Last edited by grcamna2; 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista M View Post
                          This is an awesome adventure, I live in about 15 minutes from St. Clair. If you want to get together with some of the locals and have a meal or beer, let me know.
                          Yes, I appreciate that

Comment

Everybody on here will advise against using an e-z out for the exhaust stud. I have experience snapping off more than one of these in an engine (including quite recently in an oil filter cover stud) and it's not fun. Try drilling it out with left handed bits or welding a nut on, if possible.
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Yes, I have experience with easy-outs.
                              I removed the other 2 with left handed drill bits.
                              The easy-out may work if it's possible but I won't force it.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                                Yes, I have experience with easy-outs.
                                I removed the other 2 with left handed drill bits.
                                The easy-out may work if it's possible but I won't force it.
                                I have some easy-outs that you are welcome to; I live in the 'Shores off of Greater Mac between 12 and 13 mile. Wife and I are leaving for a bike trip tomorrow (sun) morning, and will be back Monday afternoon around 3ish. You are welcome to swing by and pick them up but you have a short window of opportunity, as I leave tuesday am for business trip won't be back until friday evening.

For parts, try Michigan Motorcycle located in Mt Clemens (just a few miles north of St Clair Shores). They specialize in parting out metrics. Ask for Matt Maes, he runs the operation and is a good friend of mine....he and his dad love the old 'zukies. You can tell him Puppy sent you...but even if you don't tell him this, he's a really nice guy and will totally help you if he can.

Comment

Working...
                                X