Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate the offer,glad to hear you are close to my location. I only have that GS450 for transportation around here and my only other way to get around is wait for my friend Dan who knows where places are;he's a delivery driver who spends many hours every day running. I have a special 'one way move permit' from California for the GS450 that I need to use to get on the bike when it's complete and then 'head west' on interstate 80. The bike is insured and I have the Michigan title signed over to me by Dan. I just can't use the bike locally.. an awkward situation until I get it back to California and register it.
    Thanks for telling me about Michigan Motorcycle
    Last edited by grcamna2; 05-27-2018, 12:59 AM.

Comment

So, if you were leaving on May 1st, where are you at now....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman Quote: "So, if you were leaving on May 1st, where are you at now....?"

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
        I'm in St. Clair Shores now and making slow forward progress on the Gs450. I've had my share of 'adventure' so far this past month,I hope June is easier
        I think he's in St Clair Shores
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Redman Quote: "So, if you were leaving on May 1st, where are you at now....?"
          I think he's in St Clair Shores
          Ah, Two days ago.
          Three weeks pedaling.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have arrived in St. Clair Shores ! The past month of May has been a time of personal ups and downs etc. :rolleyes:
            But I'm overcoming the tough stuff.
            I would like to borrow a couple tools to get the bike road-ready. A huge Thank You to local member 'Steve Conlan' for all his help with tools and rides.
            Last edited by grcamna2; 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the offer,glad to hear you are close to my location. I only have that GS450 for transportation around here and my only other way to get around is wait for my friend Dan who knows where places are;he's a delivery driver who spends many hours every day running. I have a special 'one way move permit' from California for the GS450 that I need to use to get on the bike when it's complete and then 'head west' on interstate 80. The bike is insured and I have the Michigan title signed over to me by Dan. I just can't use the bike locally.. an awkward situation until I get it back to California and register it.
              Thanks for telling me about Michigan Motorcycle
              I'm not sure what is involved in getting and using a permit like that but as one who has cross crossed the country a number of times over the years, I-80 is the most boring east-west route there is! If you want something to look at other than 1200 miles of corn followed by 1200 miles of dry ground covered in Sage Brush, you may want to consider another route. I-70 gets you through the some high mountain passes in Colorado and Utah and I-90 has a nice stretch through the Rockies in Montana, Idaho and Washington. On I-80 the only thing that leads you to believe you're truly in the mountains is the continental divide sign. The last time I was out that way I took I-90 to the east side of the Rockies then slid south a bit and headed through a gorgeous canyon through Idaho into Washington then south to I-80 to see the most unforgettable Columbia River Gorge into Portland. That route swings you way north and I-70 a bit south but if you're not in a big hurry, a couple-three hundred extra miles will be well worth it.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I had a problem back in Sparks,NV.,I was robbed they took my fully packed bicycle bags and camping gear while I was sleeping in a chair inside a truck stop(it was cold that night)... at that point I decided to bicycle to the train station in Reno,NV. and put myself and the bicycle on the train and got to my destination much quicker.
                This was not my original plan but considering the turn of events I thought it was best.

Comment

I had a problem back in Sparks,NV.,I was robbed they took my fully packed bicycle bags and camping gear while I was sleeping in a chair inside a truck stop(it was cold that night)... .
                  That's truly low. Sorry to hear that some scumbag scrambled such ambitious plans, jeez. Well, keep us posted...
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I had the two large bicycle saddlebags/panniers and the camping gear too far away from me under another chair but I had the little knapsack with the phone and wallet right next to me,it was safe. I won't ever make that same mistake again. They got the thieves on house camera and the policeman viewed the recording and was able to i.d. these habituals,either way the stuff I so carefully chose and packed for this full journey is history now.
                    I need to keep my wits about me more when it comes to certain situations,from now-on I will.
                    Last edited by grcamna2; 05-29-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Would like to ask if anyone here locally in Michigan has a little time I would really appreciate any help I can get to get the bike on the road.The very nice local member 'Steve Conlan' has been a huge help to me,yesteady he drove me to some places for shop supplies.
                      The man here where I'm staying with in St. Clair Shores who is selling me the bike has had his helpful moments. He has let me do my own work at his garage and sleep here. I really do need to get back to California as soon as possible now though could use a little encouragement.
                      Thanks,Bill

Comment

.........................I would really appreciate any help I can get to get the bike on the road..............
                        Bill, You have persevered thru a lot so far.

Can you state what problems you are having with the bike..? Maybe good to post each problem in appropriate technical section. Lots of folks here wiling to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Bill, You have persevered thru a lot so far.

Can you state what problems you are having with the bike..? Maybe good to post each problem in appropriate technical section. Lots of folks here wiling to help.

The main help I need is to have someone else here with me who cares and maybe a ride to the store.
                          I think I finally have just enough tools here from Steve.

Comment

What sorts of things do you have left to repair on the bike? I'm about 35~40 minutes north of you. I have a trailer, ramps, and a fair amount of tools.
                            The problem for me is, I just promised to fill in part time for my old boss starting this afternoon. I can trailer it to my place if you need the extra hand or odd tool.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-31-2018, 09:54 AM.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              What sorts of things do you have left to repair on the bike? I'm about 35~40 north of you. I have a trailer, ramps, and a fair amount of tools.
                              The problem for me is, I just promised to fill in part time for my old boss starting this afternoon. I can trailer it to my place if you need the extra hand or odd tool.
                              Hi rusty,
                              I need two 3 qaurter inch round heavy clamps and 2 heavy flat steel pieces to make braces. The other thing was a ride to the store. I PM'd you
                              Last edited by grcamna2; 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

PM replied to and text messages sent.
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X