Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS450t - Two steps forward, one step back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450t - Two steps forward, one step back!

It's tough living within 20 feet of a state highway when the weather warms up, the sun comes out and your bike isn't on the road! The 1982 GS450txz that I picked up for a song in March is close to being ready to roll but not quite there. Getting parts delivered, and the RIGHT parts, has been a bit of an issue on this one.

The first setback came with the Shim Club, not the club itself but the shims where forever lost somewhere in the mail stream and never made it here. April was cold and wet so that in of itself didn't hold up overall progress but none the less I lost close to three weeks getting the engine fired up and tuned.

OK, everything worked as it should! Then it became time to order tires, the supplier got them to me quick but with one tube the wrong size. The problem was traced to a database issue with the website, the right part number was sent but wrong description appeared on the site. Damn! Another week, according to UPS it should arrive tomorrow.

The front brake master cylinder needed replacement and after sitting 19 years a new line was ordered and caliper seals as well. Took off the rear wheel to put that new tire on and found the rear shoes where within a hair of going metal to metal. New shoes will be here Wednesday, should have looked at that earlier, my bad.

Have been renting a tourist cabin and had every intention of being out of here this coming week since rent goes up starting next weekend. Going to hopefully be out in about 10 more days, if not for the bike I would have been already gone "Walkabout" for the summer heading somewhere via a combination of the shoe leather express and the Grey Dog.

Still, having some wheels with 7500 total miles on it with the rubber parts either replaced or well inspected along with wear related stuff replaced should get me a good ways down the road. Freshly rebuilt carbs, valves adjusted, new brakes front and rear, new tires, new battery, fork seals replaced, swingarm and neck bearings greased and torqued. I'll be getting my insurance and plates on Monday or Tuesday, when those rear shoes arrive Wednesday it'll be show time. Let's hope the shake down cruise goes well, the road is calling.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Yeah, it's frustrating, for sure. Any time you dig in to a project, there is always something else that pops up. This is especially true with a 'new' bike, one that you have NO idea about its history.

However, I am especially intrigued by this comment:
    Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
    The 1982 GS450txz that I picked up for a song ...
    I know there is a 450T that was offered for at least a couple of years. I also know that Suzuki used a letter designation for the model year at the end of the model name, but it never showed on the bodywork. If your bike is, indeed an '82, it would be a GS450TZ. If it were an '81 (like the one my son used to have), it would be a GS450TX. What makes you think yours is a GS450TXZ?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The TXZ doesn't have air forks and has wire wheels instead of cast/stamped ones. If you check out the parts fische you can see the differences. Took a picture of the VIN plate showing it being a TXZ but there's issues uploading with the phone.

Comment

Forgot about the imgur account, here's that VIN picture. http://imgur.com/xFdVhRY

Comment

Did all that to my GS425, got it going then boiled the battery. Check that R/R!

Comment

Forgot about the imgur account, here's that VIN picture. http://imgur.com/xFdVhRY
            I had same question as Steve. Yep, can see in pic that is model GS450TX and year code Z.

Sounds like you are going a good job of getting it road worthy.

So your "walkabout" this year is going to be a "rideabout".....?
            Last edited by Redman; 05-20-2018, 08:43 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              I had same question as Steve. Yep, can see in pic that is model GS450TX and year code Z.

Sounds like you are going a good job of getting it road worthy.

So your "walkabout" this year is going to be a "rideabout".....?
              Yeah, it's been a fun experiment getting around without a vehicle being a Detroit born and bred motothead but my knees are starting to feel it and I'm still a long way from being dead yet. Gotta to keep some wear and tear "in the bank" for the future.

Comment

Sho' 'nuff.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sure enough, the wrong back brakes arrived, at least they made it Monday instead of yesterday. Should have cross referenced it to the parts fische! Chalk it up to another TXZ difference. I'm riding it anyway, put the old ones back on til the new ones arrive.

Comment

I also have a GS450TXZ and working on it to ride it back from here in St. Clair Shores,MI. To California in about a week,looking for some rubber fuel tank mounts..

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                      I also have a GS450TXZ and working on it to ride it back from here in St. Clair Shores,MI. To California in about a week,looking for some rubber fuel tank mounts..
                      There's a pretty decent place in Mt Clemens that parts out bikes, not sure of the name off the top of my head. Wintered over at Nine and Mack a couple years ago, about 21/2 hours on foot to downtown Clem. Of course the Bus will get you there as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X